Page 3 of 39
Quote by guitgrinder
Love CoC man, seen 'em twice. awesome, aweosme band. Seen Down once too.

But if yer gonna count Deliverance, Wiseblood, AVD, and ItAoG as stoner metal, then you might as well thrown Load/Reload in there too, 'cuz they're very similar records... but I'm not sure any of those qualify as "stoner metal."

Cool, never seen CoC but I saw Down twice this year. But yeah I would consider CoC to be more on the Stoner rock side than anything else: the sabbathian riffs and songs like Albatross prove that...I think it's just that CoC has a "happier" feel for the most part when compared to other stoner rock. Maybe just because alot of stoner rock has it's doom influence as well. haha it's debatable I guess but if you like stoner rock chances are you will like CoC.
Bump, because I feel like it.

I just learned Acid Bath's Dr. Seuss Is Dead from watching a dude playing it on youtube. How awsum am i?

That band has the most twisted lyrics I ever read, hands down.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
You need to watch someone to figure it out?

Noob.

I'm gonna try to get more into Stoner Metal. Gimme recs.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
I don't know how much stoner you listen to but Orange Goblin is a safe bet
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Already listen to 'em.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

Very well then

Sleep
The Mushroom River Band
Bongzilla
Monster Magnet
Spiritual Beggars
Melvins
Fu Manchu
Weedeater

There's a few, you probably know most (if not all) of them

Monster Magnet are coming here by the way, but the tickets cost 39 euros, fuck that

Don't know 3 of them, cheers.

I'm not paying almost €40 for Monster Magnet either. Madness.

I never wanna spend more than €30 for a band again, though I'll make some exceptions.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

Well I paid 70 euros for Aerosmith and for every other huge band I've seen (Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Rush, etc.) the tickets usually cost like 50 - 60 euros

But for more smaller bands, 30 euros is usually the limit... like Sigur Rós are coming here but the tickets cost over 50 euros, no way in hell I'm gonna pay that much

I wish High On Fire and/or Om would tour Finland soon

Yeah, I paid 70 for Metallica this Wednesday.

And I wouldn't pay more than 30 for Sigur Rós either.

I got my Firewind and Keep of Kalessin tickets for €15 each, though I can't go to KoK.

I'm just gonna give HoF another chance, actually.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

Give Death Is This Communion a good listen, one of the best stoner metal releases there is imo

Will do.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

After watching a couple of Fu Manchu vids on jewtube, I really want to see them live. Monster Magnet? Not so much...

Also, Goatsnake are easily the best stoner and doom balance I've ever heard.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
Quote by dead-fish
After watching a couple of Fu Manchu vids on jewtube, I really want to see them live. Monster Magnet? Not so much...

Also, Goatsnake are easily the best stoner and doom balance I've ever heard.

MM was a great band for their first few releases. Spine of God is an excellent psyched-out stoner rock album, and Superjudge and Tab 13 have some high points (pun not intended). It's only their later stuff that's trite radio crap.

On the subject of Goatsnake, I've only heard an EP by them, and I thought it was pure crap. What albums of theirs are worth checking out?
Monster Magnet's latest album is really good though - it's not quite Spine of God or Tab, but it's their best for a long time.
I quite like the songs on Powertrip, as mainstream as it may be. And I was referring more to the fact that Wyndorf seems to be so tired on stage, and like he's not having any fun at all, which surprised me, given the obvious spirit of their music.

As for Goatsnake, Flower Of Disease is a classic.
Well his health isn't what it was. He did nearly die not all that long ago.
With all due respect, Lemmy is in his mid 60's, still smokes and drinks, and hasn't shown any sign of slowing down, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I'd expect a little enthusiasm from Wyndorf, but he just looks like he'd rather be home.
I love Spiritual Beggars. Not true stoner metal, but there's a good deal of it present and it gives me a really cool feeling when I'm listening to it.
I was at the chiropractor's a couple days ago. We're talking, and he asks me what kind of music I listen to. Turns out my chiropractor is a huge Overkill fan.

Hopefully he won't wreck your neck
They're swinging a lot to the hard rock side of things, but I would say they are metal.

Regardless, that's a pretty cool song. Gonna check out more of them.

Deadit: Mustasch = stoner version of Metallica? I think so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z77Fspd5hlg&feature=related
Last edited by dead-fish at Aug 18, 2008,
Would anyone consider Down stoner? I'd say they are, since they have the same sort of vibe as some other stoner bands.
Up the Punx!
^They're sludge, which is an offshoot of stoner.
ehh, close enough. Goin to see them and Metallica in November.
Up the Punx!
Quote by powerhead
Meh, it's just a term.

I would love to see Down live. Nola is one of my all time favourite albums.

Yeah I'm really excited, plus the bonus of Metallica if they play mostly older stuff.
Up the Punx!
Quote by powerhead
Anyone here into Mustasch? Not sure if they're strictly stoner metal, putas, but they're close enough. I got their best of album, and I'm quite liking it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt9JTNVgvyE - give it a listen.

I think they are pretty good. The played a gig here last year, and I was too cheap to go, something I really regret.
Quote by dead-fish
Deadit: Mustasch = stoner version of Metallica? I think so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z77Fspd5hlg&feature=related

That was awesome, I never bothered to check Mustasch out before, gotta get something by them

Any Ufomammut fans around? Been loving Snailking lately

^ Great album, Ufomammut is some pretty crazy stuff.

High on Fire is one of my favorite bands lately. Seen them twice, once with Megadeth, and once with Opeth, and despite what all my buddies say, I thought they were fuckin' great both times. Matt Pike has incredible stage presence, and the band as a whole sounds so huge live, especially for having only 3 members. When I saw them with Opeth I managed to get the setlist Matt used and one of his picks, so I was pretty stoked fo sho.

As for albums I have the Art of Self Defense and Death Is This Communion, and while TAOSD is great, DITC is amazing. Everything about that album screams "listen to me, I rule!" Favorite songs would have to be Fury Whip, Waste of Tiamat, and Turk. I was stoked that at their second show, the setlist was 75% material from DITC, which is great cause I don't yet know a lot from their other albums.
Get baked, study theory.

Quote by :-D
Why are you bringing Cm into this?
Quote by Dvnc
Yeah I'm really excited, plus the bonus of Metallica if they play mostly older stuff.

Um, good news - I saw both Down and Metallica this year. Down is one of the best metal shows I've ever been to ever. Anselmo was clean. And that made him even more intimidating because it's obvious that he's spent all the time he used to spend drinking working out. He looked like he was going to jump off the stage and beat the shit out of anyone who wasn't enjoying themselves. It was ****ing awesome. Made me remember that Down are a *metal* band of some description (I'd put them into a genre called "RiffRiff****ingRiff!" in my head).

And when I saw Metallica, shit, I was blown away. Delicious. The best set I've seen them play (and I've seen them play every time they've been to Ireland in the last 10 years).

On an unrelated topic, am I the only one who things that Down II is a bit pants?
Life is like a power ballad...
Gear:
Admira Ronda (Classical)
Squier Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty w/ EMG Select
Blue Daisy Rock Daisy
Faith Saturn
Custom Ran (http://ranguitars.com/gal1.php?z=54)
Johnson JX20
Marshall AVT100
uneXpect. Try being tripped out on acid and listening to In a Flesh Aquarium.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
You try it and then thank me later yeah?
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by Instrumetal
^ Great album, Ufomammut is some pretty crazy stuff.

High on Fire is one of my favorite bands lately. Seen them twice, once with Megadeth, and once with Opeth, and despite what all my buddies say, I thought they were fuckin' great both times. Matt Pike has incredible stage presence, and the band as a whole sounds so huge live, especially for having only 3 members. When I saw them with Opeth I managed to get the setlist Matt used and one of his picks, so I was pretty stoked fo sho.

As for albums I have the Art of Self Defense and Death Is This Communion, and while TAOSD is great, DITC is amazing. Everything about that album screams "listen to me, I rule!" Favorite songs would have to be Fury Whip, Waste of Tiamat, and Turk. I was stoked that at their second show, the setlist was 75% material from DITC, which is great cause I don't yet know a lot from their other albums.

This is right person.
Right person: Person who is right/speaks true facts/spews win out of his mouth.