here's the deal: i might have the chance of taking part in a workshop to build a telecaster (alder body, maple neck)
what i would be interested in is having a strat and a tele sound switchable for the neck pickup (i might be getting a rosewood strat eventually, but like the 50s maple neck strat neck pup sound a lot)

the point which i thought would be best to start on is to figure out what exactly is different in a strat and a telecaster neck pickup, and that is where you come into play

i know jerry donahue has something similar on his peavey sig guitar - he has a strat neck pickup on a tele style guitar, getting him a strat neck sound - i want both though, if possible anyhow

so, im counting on you UG

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
well you could have a strat pickup directly under neath the tele neck pickup that could work :S

and then you could add a switch so there both on at the same time so you could get a humbuckery sound too
The Fender Nashville Telecaster is a really good tele, has excellent cleans and make some sweet distorted tones. But it also has the Strat pickup in the middle and i didnt particularly want it, but if you did then it sounded amazing.

Something like that would be really cool
My metal is more br00t4lz than yours

Gear:
Squier Strat
ESP B-10 Bass
Peavey Backstage
to both of you: i cant really mess with the layout too much because im getting a precut and prerouted body...besides i wouldnt want to anyway

thanks though!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

If you dont wanna rout out any of the guitar, i think a Fender Noiseless Strat pickup would do. Seymour Duncan do loads aswell, infact, any company does. Try have a listen to the sound clips and decide if you want a 1 job pickup or alot of versitility

I'd reccommend you put the Strat pickup in the neck position, because the bridge on a Telecaster is what alot of bands use, the neck pickup is rarely needed and alot of what makes the Telecaster sound special is the bridge.
My metal is more br00t4lz than yours

Gear:
Squier Strat
ESP B-10 Bass
Peavey Backstage
well if i were to do that, why a noiseless strat pickup?

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Noiseless Strat pickup ftl.

not a real single coil.

Anyway, I was always under the impression that Tele neck pickups and Strat neck pickups were the same. Alas, after a bit of reading, I learned my folly.
Tele pickups are slightly shorter, slightly thinner, and not as wide. This means the bobbins are slightly smaller, which would account for their different tone. Smaller bobbins, to my recollection affect several things, inductance being one of them.
so nothing i could affect with a switch? dayum...i hoped it was just more wire...

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

custom built hubucker sized single coil pickup with dual coils? use magnet poles instead of a bar magnet and wire each coil separately?

think that might work???
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by forsaknazrael
Ask CorduroyEW, see what he thinks. He's a creative pickup winder.

i might do that...i hoped he'd see this thread, but i'll PM him

Quote by rancidryan
whats the body your getting a strat body or a tele body?

its a tele body made of alder

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame