I am trying to record my guitar over backing tracks of songs I cover using a Line 6 Tone Port UX-2 and Ableton Live.

My set up is Guitar to amp - Amp Line out to Tone Port - Tone Port USB to PC using Ableton to record the sounds from my amp, I then have the Tone Port headphone socket connected using a 3.5mm line in/out cable to my speakers.

The problem I am having is the sound when I am recording is kinda spiking like I get this horrible screachy noise coming through my speakers and the sound wave bar things show only spikes below the middle while I am recording. The same horrible sound is what I get when I play it back as well.

I have tried Audacity and Reaper recording programs as well and still get the same problem, I have even played the backing tracks (which are in .wav format for recording) through my media player while using the Tone Port as my sound card and I am still getting this problem.

Is it a problem with the Tone Port UX-2 or just my 1?????
Most likely its a faulty lead, or sometimes the solder connecting the input to the circuit board cracks a little bit, which causes disruptions in the sound if the connector moves even a little bit, because its connecting and disconnecting as it moves, which is easy to fix if thats the problem. Do an isolation test on all of your leads and if they all work open the tone port up and make sure theres no cracks or breaks in the solder anywhere. If you can see any cracks or anything just carefully patch it up with a soldering iron. By the sounds of it its an external problem, which is a good thing because its simple to fix.
Thanks

I have tried all my my cables I use including the USB 1 and it works fine when there is just my guitar playing through it or even 2 guitars whether I have them both running in to the amps then amps to tone port or from guitar straight to the tone port, it only seems to happen with backing tracks or anything like that.

I'm going to take it apart when I get in tonight and make sure everything is connected, but thinking about it, I could just be overloading it if it isn't capable of handling more than 2 stereo trakcs, but the instructions never said anything about it :-S
Quote by freighttrain
Thanks

I have tried all my my cables I use including the USB 1 and it works fine when there is just my guitar playing through it or even 2 guitars whether I have them both running in to the amps then amps to tone port or from guitar straight to the tone port, it only seems to happen with backing tracks or anything like that.

I'm going to take it apart when I get in tonight and make sure everything is connected, but thinking about it, I could just be overloading it if it isn't capable of handling more than 2 stereo trakcs, but the instructions never said anything about it :-S

Yeah if its only a problem with backing tracks, and it works fine by itself don't bother taking it apart. Yeah you could be overloading it, instruction manuals always seem to conventianly neglect to mention any major or minor faults with the product.
Quote by f*ck 0ff
instruction manuals always seem to conventianly neglect to mention any major or minor faults with the product.

Yea i noticed they do that a lot, but instruction manuals do often have some great information such as my deep fat fryer that says to not use it as a baby bath.

Could someone recommend a different piece of hard ware for recording that runs on a PC that hopefully will not screw up like the Tone Port UX-2 (btw it needs to be able to have 2 guitars plugged in to it)?
sound blaster audigy platinum ex soundcard with the external sound box and sony acid pro 6.0 or protools. Acid pro is easy and protools is kind of hard at first. I like that sound card alot.
Quote by scumbagdarrel
sound blaster audigy platinum ex soundcard with the external sound box and sony acid pro 6.0 or protools. Acid pro is easy and protools is kind of hard at first. I like that sound card alot.

I will defo have a look at that stuff and if it's not hugely expensive i just may buy it.

Anyone else have suggestions? As i like to compare different options to find the one that best suits my needs and my technical skill at recording and poost-production (whic is very little since my Tone Port is a pain in the ar*e)
If I was only looking for a really basic set up I would go with a pod-xt.

If you're really serious about recording though its extremely limited.
I'd take a look at some recording interfaces. Esp ones from M-Audio and PreSonus.

What type of budget do you have?
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
My budget is about 300GBP and I need the gear for recording songs me and my friend are writing (2 guitars and a bass track) and for a demo of covers including a full backing track, my lead guitar then the vocals.