I don't get how when people say they use chromatic scales...wouldn't that just be playing random stuff because all the notes are used in said scale?

And then what seperates A chromatic from C chromatic? Arnt they just the same except the roots?

So if I was just to shred 17 18 19 20 over and over and over that would be playing in the chromatic scale? Cuz it sounds like ****e
You Are Now Aware Of Your Own Breathing
Quote by conquistador
I don't get how when people say they use chromatic scales...wouldn't that just be playing random stuff because all the notes are used in said scale?

Random, no. All of the notes are possible to be used and still fit within the scale.

And then what seperates A chromatic from C chromatic? Arnt they just the same except the roots?

Different roots, different tonal centers.

So if I was just to shred 17 18 19 20 over and over and over that would be playing in the chromatic scale? Cuz it sounds like ****e

Yes you are, but why would you shred a simple pattern like that over and over?

Most of the time, chromaticism (how I've seen) is used as exercises, or small licks/transitions within a greater song.
Quote by conquistador

Well, why not? You'd have to use all twelve notes or at least strongly avoid conventional tonality and scales to make it sound really "chromatic" and not just "weird" though.
Quote by conquistador

Listen to Erotomania by Dream Theater. There's a ton of chromaticism in that song, and I personally think is sounds great. Other than that listen to TheShred201.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Quote by ouchies
I guess it doesn't HAVE to make sense, but thats how I approach it, I only use it when its sensible, not "just because i felt like it".

Fair enough, i suppose i must have a less sensible guitar idiom than you. I often try to make licks that make as little sense as possible.

Quote by Time Seller
Curiosity kills the cat.

And re-animates the mind. Cancels out.