alright guys, I was wondering if anyone could think of a reason why I can pick a lot faster and easier on my RG than on my S-classic (basically an Ibanez SZ)... the only reason I can think of is that the bridge is raised off the body a fair way on the S classic, whereas it's pretty much flush on the RG, and it's the angle of my hand/arm resting on the bridge? does anyone else find differences in their right hand between guitars?
It all comes down to what you are used to playing. I've played floyds ever since I started playing and my picking hand is used to having a nice, flat surface to rest on. And every time I pick up a les paul or other TOM guitar at a shop, my hand just can't feel comfortable and my playing suffers a bit.

There are of course exceptions to the rule.....people that can play on anything and not be bothered one bit.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Aaand another reason why anchoring is bad
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Fretboard radius? I mean, it can make a difference between a more rounded(smaller radius) fretboard than that of a flatter radius. As the strings that are more near the edges will be a little "lower" than the strings in the middle. making you miss the strings near the edges with your picking hand.

That could be one reason.
i was wondering something similar too.

does string gauge affect right-hand picking speed?
(left-hand isolated in this case)
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
Quote by brandonroy
Fretboard radius? I mean, it can make a difference between a more rounded(smaller radius) fretboard than that of a flatter radius. As the strings that are more near the edges will be a little "lower" than the strings in the middle. making you miss the strings near the edges with your picking hand.

That could be one reason.

I think you may be right, I've found something a bit like that. I think I prefer the flatter string layout than the slightly rounded one, as I do tend to miss the low E string and end up digging my pick in too much, slowing me down
Quote by necrophilic
i was wondering something similar too.

does string gauge affect right-hand picking speed?
(left-hand isolated in this case)

A little bit for me, but mainly so on the 3 lowest strings. I can't really play 9-42's anymore. I pick really hard and since I use a 2mm pick, they just flop around like wet yarn for me. 11-48's are just right for me.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
I've never compared them directly, but distance between strings can have an impact too. I bet the S and RG are quite similar though so it doesn't apply in this case.

However, sometimes I find myself mispicking because of being so used to RG style guitars.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay