I didn't know where to ask this so I'll ask the pit.

I've got a Imac G5 one of the older ones, and two big infinity speakers. Is it possible to connect them to my computer and use them as speakers or do I need something else besides a special cable ?
The speakers have the standard + - red and black "banana" inputs. Any help will be appreciated !

Last edited by GNR's Fan at Jun 18, 2008,
Are you speakers powered separately? If so all you need is an RCA to 3,5mm (1/8") converter. It doesn't cost all that much.
EDIT: ok you don't have rca jacks. I think the only way to do it then is find a phone plug to RCA adapter and then get a rca to 3,5mm adapter.
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
Last edited by HeliuM at Jun 18, 2008,
Quote by HeliuM
Are you speakers powered separately? If so all you need is an RCA to 3,5mm (1/8") converter. It doesn't cost all that much.

No they aren't as far as I can tell. I only have the two speakers and a computer.

I now know which cable I need, but what else do I need ?
I think you'll need am amplifier aswell then. If I plug in unpowerd speakers into my PC they only get as loud as earphones...
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
If you plug your speakers in, (ie, guitar amp) the adapter is all you need

If they don't need plugging in, you need an amp.
Quote by HeliuM
I think you'll need am amplifier aswell then. If I plug in unpowerd speakers into my PC they only get as loud as earphones...

He's right... the level of output is so low that those speakers won't produce much sound. A small (like 15 or 20 watt) amplifier is the way to go to get the speakers loud.
Quote by gibsonfirebird
He's right... the level of output is so low that those speakers won't produce much sound. A small (like 15 or 20 watt) amplifier is the way to go to get the speakers loud.

What kind ? Could maybe show me some links or so ?
Quote by GNR's Fan
Nope the speakers have the + - black and red banana inputs ?

go to radioshack and get a 1/8" to banana plug cord. problem solved.
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone