Hi guys,

I have been playing the guitar for 10 years on and off, I am not very good but I do enjoy it, so much so that I am sick of playing on a s@#t guitar and would like to get a decent one.

I would like something to last me a long time but dont know where to start??

Hoped you might be able to give me feedback, so far I have considered a Maton.

also - is there much risk in getting a second hand guitar?

Thanks in advance

Damo
Last edited by Damolitions at Nov 18, 2009,
by an electric, they pwn
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Vixen
Ibanez RG7321
Cort G210
Epiphone Les Paul 1956 Goldtop
Laboga Mr. Hector
Randall 4x12
Boss MT 2
Boss BD 2
Boss DD3
Korg Pitchblack
well there are alot of guitars that cost more than $1200. do you have like a budget?
consider taylors 314CE series and up, Breedlove Pro series, and maybe Martins HD or DR series. it all depends on your preference.

and if youre getting a second hand guitar, then make sure it was in good condition, like was it kept in a humidity controlled room and etc.
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
Get a used guitar, the more scratches the better. That way you will get it for hundreds cheaper. Also if you decide you don't like the guitar, you can sell back without taking a huge loss and might even make $100. Most people are afraid of ebay when it comes to guitar buying, but the allure of getting a $2000 guitar for $1200 is too much for me to pass up. If you live in the US where the economy is realllllly ****ty, lots of people are selling things to pay the bills. There are lots of great deals on used guitars, you just have to look....
Quote by minixmin
well there are alot of guitars that cost more than $1200. do you have like a budget?
consider taylors 314CE series and up, Breedlove Pro series, and maybe Martins HD or DR series. it all depends on your preference.

and if youre getting a second hand guitar, then make sure it was in good condition, like was it kept in a humidity controlled room and etc.

+1 on the Breedlove Pro; there's an American made one that runs for $1600 U.S. now.

Maton's are very nice guitars. Tommy Emmanuel plays them... so you can't go wrong =]
Martin 16 series
Larrivee 3 or 4 series
Taylor 300 series
umm... cant think of any others right now. my brain is fried from studying chem.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
why spend all the 1200, take a look at this

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bPYQKT3mnR8

its a guild D-25 made in the US
they generally go for 500-800 on ebay

takamines are pretty bomb to
and you could probly get a used Yairi for that amountcant go wrong with a breedlove at that price but also consider a martin 16 there really great for the money
Last edited by the-kid44P at Jun 19, 2008,
Martin 16 series
Larrivee 3 or 4 series
Taylor 300 series

Unfortunately, none of these guitars can be bought for $1200 Australian.

If I had $1200 and was in the market for a new acoustic Id be looking at a Cole Clark FL1 or FL1A (if you want electronics) or, better yet, save up a couple of hundred more and then go for either the FL2 or a Maton CW80.
For $1200 or less the only Maton you're going to get is the 325 and I honestly wouldnt recommend that.
How much would they be in Australian Dollars? The TS did state "$1200 +"
Equipment:

Wow... those prices aren't cool. its like $3000 for my guitar O__o
Equipment:

Its definitely frustrating. Especially since the Australian dollar is worth almost as much as the U.S dollar on the exchange rate these days. But that doesnt seem to affect anything. Just more incentive to buy local I guess. Thats why i recommended Maton and Cole Clark.
PS: I have always preferred a cut away guitar cos find it very difficult playing higherup the board - whats the disadvantage? do you guys use a cut away?
Why are the Martin so expensive - how much of the price is in the name? is there really that big a difference?
I have always preferred a cut away guitar cos find it very difficult playing higherup the board - whats the disadvantage?

Cutaway guitars cost more as they usually come with electronics. Other than that its just up to personal preference. Some people argue that tone is affected due to reduced resonance space but the difference is negligible.

Why are the Martin so expensive - how much of the price is in the name?

Part of the price is because of that Martin logo on the headstock but they are quality guitars. Its pretty hard to put a dollar figure on the brand name.

is there really that big a difference?

Between them and what?
Cutaways take a bit of the sound from the guitar, although you'll still get a full sound. I would make sure that your getting an acoustic/electric if you want a cutaway.
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
Simon & Patrick showcase series...It's too bad you probably cant test one of these out in Aussie because they're just awesome guitars! Right around you're starting budget too(In USD), My SC CW was a steal...There are deals out there, You just got to look around-Good luck
Sorry you can't get a Larrivee L-03. Wow, this is a good value. You don't even have to be a good player to savor the pure, delicious tone of simple cowboy chords.

Yes, get the best guitar you can afford. I have only heard others say those Matons are nice.

Do look at the nicest used guitars your $1200 AUS can get.
dude i seriously would reccomend saving alot of your money and instead buying a takamine EG544SC its a cutaway acoustic electric w/built in tuner. its like 500-600 bucks but they sound better than the 1500 dollar martins and taylors. i personally got one for christmas and it still blows my mind. check it out on musiciansfriend.com just search it in the search bar and it'll go straight to it
dave matthews might.. just.. be.. god..

Quote by gregs1020
yes, pointing it at your head will send the sound towards your head.

it's the same with guns too, before you go testing that one.
Hi gang

I posted a couple of questions quite a while back about buying a new guitar but after GFC I put it on hold…

Now I am back in the market and would like to get one ASAP… budget now in the 2000 region

Just went at lunch and played a few and now I am hooked - want to go and buy one NOW!!!

anyway - shop maily stocked Martin / Maton and Yamaha and of the Martin and Maton’s I played probably preferred the small Martin…think it was this one…

http://www.conceptmusic.com.au/showProduct/Acoustic+Guitars/Martin+Guitars/5943

I just playing for myself – not on stage etc… but interested in what people think of smaller bodied guitars? I do tend to finger pick a fair bit so not sure if that matters…

I did like the feel of the smaller body...

Your thoughts?
Last edited by Damolitions at Nov 18, 2009,
my favorite guitar in the entire universe is a smaller bodied martin - incredible tone. in fact, i love the sound of 00s, 000s, GCs (sort of the same thing) and OMs. they're excellent for fingerpicking. it does occur to me, though, that if you passed on the electronics you could buy an all solid guitar. i see this store you linked to doesn't have a lot of guitars - are there some other aussie guitar store websites with maybe more selection?

btw, did the store you went to offer yamaha L series guitars?
Sweet... am hoping that their are no flaws as really liked it...

they didnt bring out any yamaha - only martin and maton

had a play of Maton which John Mayer uses... was $5000 + - very nice.