Ive been really getting into slap bass alot recently, and me and a friend plan on making a band soon, playing a variaty of things, most metal, and some acoustic>metal. So I was thinking of playing slap bass in a metal band (my ambition is to be like Les Claypool, but in a heavy metal band, much more heavy and fast than primus)
Im sure its been done before, but do you guys have any advice on the subject?
Id like to be a welcome change to music and actually be heard in a band, and sound good. (none of this "Theres something wrong with your bass amp. I can hear it" bull ****.
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

Yeah it works, remember Fieldy in the old Korn albums with his ultra clicky slap sound?
ALL THE PLAYERS ARE KEEN GRAVE MAKERS
i used to know this guy who played slap bass in a heavy metal band.
i dont think it worked. but then again the band were ****.

lol
yes, it does work, and yes, its awesome, and yes, its a good idea.

good luck
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Look up the band Infectious grooves (youtube will show some vids, search "punk it up", amazing intro) they are funk-metal... they combine awesome slab bass with metal riffs and they throw in some wah too. It's a supprisingly amazing combination
Yes infectious groove... Rob Trujillo right? If not mistaken. Anyway good luck wit your slap bass. Technical Progressive Fusion stuffs maybe. Some parts with slap is really nice.
A band called Sikth also use it occassionally.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Best of luck getting faster than Claypool. That guy has thunder thumbs.

If y'all record anything be sure to post it. I'd be interested in hearing your take on slap metal!
Quote by gm jack
A band called Sikth also use it occassionally.

This is true, what a great band they were.

Mudvayne's bassist slaps alot I do believe.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Not quite metal, but I think Mic Todd is a pretty good example of using slapping in a somewhat heavy song.
Go for it, but good luck trying to cut through, scooped mids make Jimmy sad
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
dosent the the guy from protest the hero slap a bit during songs
Quote by postmortem2006

Give him something he can appreciate.

Herpes maybe.
damnit people beat me to saying Mudvayne and Sikth!
Listen to Happy? by Mudvayne to get an idea of what it can sound like, although I'm not sure if it's technically slapping what he's doing in that song
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Conspiracy of Thought.
A bunch of unsigned guys do it to great effect.
Billy Sheehan does it sometimes.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Thanks for the replys guys!
Ill keep all of this in mind.
Some of you may notice my Dean Razorback thread, about the style of bass I want, and Iw as wondering, do BC Rich basses slap well? Ive never played one...
Also I was thinking if what if when we finally do get this band running properly, and the others dont want the bass to over power too much? Some great bands have minimal mass audible at all in thier songs. Thats the last thing I want to happen to me, tis why I like Primus and Iron Maiden so much...
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
quit being so paranoid.

I dont think you can get much more heavy than primus lol
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by Phishead42
I dont think you can get much more heavy than primus lol

I would think Mudvayne is much more heavy.
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
quit being so paranoid.

Well, heavy in a different sense. I love both bands but Primus is where I would go for the heavy - it has a much more controlled, organized feeling than Mudvayne.

But maybe not... I haven't listened to Mudvayne in a little while. L.D. 50 had some excellent slap lines, though.
If you think Primus is heavy, you need some Meshuggah.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
^+1
Slap works in metal quite well, if you know how to do it.
STUFF
MOD Contest Group
Resisting the Urge to Fap since 8/11/08
However, I lost in 3 days.
Quote by Hobolad

Guns don't help defense, they make you more vulnerable if anything. Said this a lot already

Quote by Teh_Asian_Pro
I would think Mudvayne is much more heavy.

Cryptopsy is much heavier than both of them.

The guy from Protest the Hero does slap every now and then. It will work in metal as long as you have a good tone for it and know when to use it.