Poll Options
View poll results: Do you?
Yes
108 75%
No
35 24%
Voters: 144.
Page 1 of 2
Inspired by what I misread the Psychics thread as.

So, Pit, Do you?
Now 100% humour free, in accordance with the rules.

.fm
.wordpress
At first glance i thought that thread was talking about physics too
"When I grow up, I wanna be a vampire bat"

No.

Isn't one of the laws of physics that matter cannot be created or destroyed?

And isn't the big bang theory like, a huge explosion happened and the universe was created?

If so thats a bit contradictory really isn't it.
Quote by Chinfrim
Sadly we have not shotguns and go around saying "Get Out of Mah Propertay!!"
I was expecting a science vs. religion thread. "Do you place your trust in physics, or in the all-powerful lord? You can only choose one", etc etc.
yes.... but relativity... what a mind-fuck
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
Quote by scottp_15
No.

And isn't the big bang theory like, a huge explosion happened and the universe was created?

As far as I'm aware, the Big Bang theory suggests that all the matter was already there, except it was massively dense in one tiny point. And matter can be created or destroyed, but I can't remember how...
Matter can (and does) randomly appear - but only if there's an equal amount of antimatter with the opposite momentum
Well, physics includes the concept that the universe was created when a tiny speck of infinite density exploded for no real reason and formed planets, stars and solar systems and life. An idea for which there is no conclusive evidence, yet loads of people seem to believe it.

EDIT: And it's bollocks.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by Rocking-Rob
I thought this thread was about physics from the title

so I voted yes

but its a poll about psychics

No it isn't.

It's just in England, we've had gravity since 1665, but I just wondered if everyone else had it to. I guess we took it over to America with us, so guys have probably had it for a while. I just wondered how the rest of the world was getting on without it, or if they had found it yet?
Now 100% humour free, in accordance with the rules.

.fm
.wordpress
Yes, seeing as it's based on logic and reason.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by scottp_15
No.

Isn't it energy? Law of Conservation of Energy or something? Energy can be transformed but not created/destroyed?

I just did a physics assessment today :p
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
Quote by scottp_15
No.

That's bit of a shallow look at things. And the big bang theory is just that - a theory. Science uses empirical evidence to shape theories. People believe they observe the universe currently expanding. Extrapolating this trend backward, it would seem that the universe originated from a small point/singularity/whatever. You also got the law wrong, it's about energy not matter. And just because something contains an apparent contradiction, doesn't make it invalid completely. For example, relativity says that things can't exceed the speed of light, while Newtonian mechanics allow this. This doesn't stop us from using Newtonian mechanics to model many situations.
Quote by scottp_15
No.

The matter was all squashed into one minute spot, then expanded, and the dust stuck together to form planets and stars etc.
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by rabidguitarist
Well, physics includes the concept that the universe was created when a tiny speck of infinite density exploded for no real reason and formed planets, stars and solar systems and life. An idea for which there is no conclusive evidence, yet loads of people seem to believe it.

You're bollocks.
Genius may have its limitations; stupidity is not thus handicapped.
^ +1 Its a lot more likely to have happened than anything religion has come up with!

I just finished my A level so I f**king hope its true.

But yeah acording to Einstein plus others, matter can be created/destroyer, but other things have to be involved. (this is what CERN is investigating)

e.g. if you smash two particles together you can create a new one.

You cant create or destroy energy, it is mearly transfered into another form (kinetic into thermal for example)

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
^HA!

I was right!
I knew the 56% in my half-yearly was just an optical illusion... >_>
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
Quote by Absent Mind
^ +1 Its a lot more likely to have happened than anything religion has come up with!

If you had been taught creationalism all the way through school, and the big bang theory was the belief of some religion, then I think you'd be saying something much different.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist

It is a theory, and unless we can go back to the beginning of the universe we can't prove it.

Quote by rabidguitarist
If you had been taught creationalism all the way through school, and the big bang theory was the belief of some religion, then I think you'd be saying something much different.

Very true.
Quote by rabidguitarist

You can actually see the big bang with a powerful enough telescope. It happened. The radiation is still there.
Quote by denizenz
No. You can't prove that physics exists absolutely.

By definition, physics does not exist anyway, it's a collection of theories based on empirical evidence. For example we've observed that gravitational and inertial mass are the same thing. There seems to be no reason for this coincidence, nor can we really prove it to be true, but we take it as scientifically correct in that it best models our observations.

Plus, whether something is provable or not is a dodgy justification for believing in it or not. If you want to be super empirical and philosophical, you can say that in essence nothing except for pure mathematics can be proven definitively.

An idea for which there is no conclusive evidence, yet loads of people seem to believe it.

Science isn't about conclusive evidence, it's about theories that satisfactorily account for observations. As I say above, the only thing with definitive proof is pure mathematics.
Quote by rabidguitarist

as opposed to creationism which there is SOOOO MUCH evidence for!

seriously dude, get a grip. oh yea and the earth is flat right?
Hi I'm
Mr. JimBo R. Insane
Quote by smb

You can actually see the big bang with a powerful enough telescope. It happened. The radiation is still there.

And how do you know what a big bang looks like?

Quote by mrjimborinsane
as opposed to creationism which there is SOOOO MUCH evidence for!

seriously dude, get a grip. oh yea and the earth is flat right?

Fuck off you stupid cunt, I'll believe what I want to believe, and I have a perfectly fine 'grip', thankyou very much.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
But the point still stands, if you hadf been taught creationism all your life and it had been the accepted theorey, then if someones said came up with the big bang theory you wouldn't instantly believe it.
Quote by smb

You can see evidence of it....

Not that it matters. Physics and religion aren't in dichotomy. The Big Bang/Abiogenesis/Evolution in no way disprove religion and religion doesn't disprove those theories. They aren't at odds, and both define the same universe from different perspectives and with more detail given to different topics.

Quote by shigidab0p

Plus, whether something is provable or not is a dodgy justification for believing in it or not. If you want to be super empirical and philosophical, you can say that in essence nothing except for pure mathematics can be proven definitively.

Someone needs to read up on Kurt Godel. Mathematics is flawed as well. Absolute truth is unobtainable.
Quote by scottp_15
No.

Well thats why the big bang theory is the most retarded theory there, because there is no explanation whatsoever. It stupid just to accept something that inherently cannot be possible, be proven, or make and sense, or offer an logical explanation for itself.

I dont get this thread. How can you not believe in physics? We all are experiencing gravity right now for example...
Quote by denizenz
You can see evidence of it....
No, you can actually see it. Light from the big bang is still arriving here. That's what seeing something is.
Quote by flyinguitar
Well thats why the big bang theory is the most retarded theory there, because there is no explanation whatsoever. It stupid just to accept something that inherently cannot be possible, be proven, or make and sense, or offer an logical explanation for itself.

I dont get this thread. How can you not believe in physics? We all are experiencing gravity right now for example...

He means question what physics teaches.

Yes, we are experiencing 'gravity', to name it, but whether we are experiencing it for the reasons that we are taught, or whether it is because of something else, is the question.

Quote by smb
No, you can actually see it. Light from the big bang is still arriving here. That's what seeing something is.

But if a man lives in the middle of a massive desert all his life, and one day someone shows him a giraffe, he is seeing it, but he doesn't know what it is.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by smb

wtf the big bang was an event. how can you "see" it with a telescope?
Quote by smb

why dont you explain yourself? the light i see is from the sun, what light are you talking about?
Quote by denizenz
I know what seeing something is...

Got a source? I'm interested in reading about that.
I don't have a source - I was invited to a lecture with a very old guy who was a student under Einstein who's life's work was on the microwave background radiation and they had mapped the different frequencies of the microwaves reaching us that have been floating around since the big bang and had drawn up a map showing the variation in temperature of the lump of matter at the moment the big bang had spread enough that light could be emitted without being instantly absorbed (when the universe became transparent) which was within the first second and is as far back as we can possibly know.

apologies for the lack of commas
Page 1 of 2