Page 1 of 2
& I have to say that was one of the best movies I have ever seen. It was also one of the most depressing...haha but wow. Next time I watch it I'm definitely going to get high beforehand. Anyone else enjoy this movie?
Not what I expected, but good nonetheless.
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.
It was a very good movie.

Actually, I might have top watch it again. It's been a while since I watched it.
Now 100% humour free, in accordance with the rules.

.fm
.wordpress
That movie sucked. I saw the muppets, but where the hell was David Bowie?
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
I thought it was an excellent movie. Also one of the most violent, hinting at the wine bottle scene...
great movie, most god awful ending
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
Quote by Jack Off Jill

Bottle to face !
Quote by 'Leviathan'
I thought it was an excellent movie. Also one of the most violent, hinting at the wine bottle scene...

oh, it's even worse....

That wasn't wine... it was Tequila

and debate, did she actually become the queen, or did she just die? You could have interpreted it either way...
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
I thought I would like it, but it turned out to be maybe one of the only movies I ever fell asleep to =/
Quote by Pharoah
Can God create a hot dog so hot even he couldn't eat it?

Lyke omg D@ @p0OcpLpSYe.
How about the mouth corner slice?
That was really well done.
And then he stitches it up.....
*shiver*
"Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
Quote by Anti Vicarious
& I have to say that was one of the best movies I have ever seen. It was also one of the most depressing...haha but wow. Next time I watch it I'm definitely going to get high beforehand. Anyone else enjoy this movie?

Dude! How can you watch it high?! You'd be trippin mad balls when the guy with the eyes in his hands part comes up.

It was an awesome movie, but pretty gruesome. Remember when they were torturing the guy with the stutter? *shivers*
Quote by Cameronrobson
I didn't like the ending.

The ending's the key to it though. Throughout the film, we're left unsure as to whether the fawn and all the supernatural stuff is true in the film's world, or whether it's all in the girl's head. The ending leaves it open, since the first time I watched it I was convinced that the fact that it loops back to the beginning shot of her lying there, and that no-one else could see the fawn, meant that it was all in her head, gave the film a really dark tone, loss of innocence, telling us that you can't believe in fairytales.

The thing is, though, you could also interpret the commander as being the one who has 'lost' something, his ability to see beyond 'this world' - his sadism and lack of feeling leaves him unable to accept, and so to see, the supernatural. There's no way to choose between the interpretations, which is more effective than coming down on one side, as it maintains the instability which has driven the plot forwards, and doesn't try to make some kind of 'point'.
Ceci n'est pas une signature
Loved it, brilliant. The ending was a little strange, but I personally enjoyed it all the way through. Never thought it would be so violent or unpleasant at parts though, haha. Figured it was a kid's movie, never heard much about it and I saw the little girl and the fawn so I was like, another kid's movie. But yeah, great, great movie.
My Gear:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Guitars:
Gibson Explorer, Worn Cherry-

Amps:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 - 1 x 12 Combo, 100 watts, Hybrid

Effects:
Blues Driver Keeley Modded
It was great, I loved how the ending left you : O.o. Wasn't exactly a children's movie but it was excellent, all dark and twisted.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Quote by toasted_lemming
The ending's the key to it though. Throughout the film, we're left unsure as to whether the fawn and all the supernatural stuff is true in the film's world, or whether it's all in the girl's head. The ending leaves it open, since the first time I watched it I was convinced that the fact that it loops back to the beginning shot of her lying there, and that no-one else could see the fawn, meant that it was all in her head, gave the film a really dark tone, loss of innocence, telling us that you can't believe in fairytales.

The thing is, though, you could also interpret the commander as being the one who has 'lost' something, his ability to see beyond 'this world' - his sadism and lack of feeling leaves him unable to accept, and so to see, the supernatural. There's no way to choose between the interpretations, which is more effective than coming down on one side, as it maintains the instability which has driven the plot forwards, and doesn't try to make some kind of 'point'.

That was some delicious text. I saw the movie for the first time a few months ago, and i agree with what you said in delicious text mentioned previously.

Gear:
Rickenbacker 620
Vox Valvetronix AD60VTX
Snarling Dog Whino Wah
Not Enough cables
I can't relate to the never ending games you play.
Quote by Anti Vicarious
I have to say that was one of the best movies I have ever seen. It was also one of the most depressing...haha but wow. Next time I watch it I'm definitely going to get high beforehand. Anyone else enjoy this movie?

i enjoyed the movie very much; it's good to hear people in appreciation of art.
but; getting high won't really do much for a psychotropic impact, from a first hand experience. then again, i get high everyday, so it probably wouldn't do much for me anyway. try tripping shrooms while watching. that'd make for quite a lovely viewing, IMHO.
There's a road that leads to the end of all suffering. You should take it.

- Jericho Caine

secret, aaaaagent maaan.
secret, aaaaagent maaan.
Quote by 'Leviathan'

That was so disgusting. eurgh.

Awesome film though.
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
Quote by toasted_lemming

I couldn't put it better myself. I think that in the end she died, but then again when her mother threw that root thing into the fire, didn't she hear it squealing also? So maybe, the supernatural was real...but yeah there is no way to really choose...
Quote by Jack Off Jill

I loved the movie, as a matter of fact its the only movie that I have actually purchased in the last year or so.
Rag Mop Do Do Duh DoDo Dedo Do!!!!!

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
It was on HBO a few nights ago, and I was half-watching, but I guessed I missed all this violence you guys speak of
I doubt its as gruesome as people say. Though I still need to see it though.

having watched both Hostels the Saws and a **** load of other slash and gore films I doubt its too violent

-You know when your decensitised to violence when someone is bathing in someones blood as they hack at them with a Scythe and your paying more attention to their boobs. I worry about myself sometimes.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Last edited by wiggy1988 at Jun 18, 2008,
Quote by wiggy1988
I doubt its as gruesome as people say. I still need to see it though.

having watched both Hostels the Saws and a **** load of other slash and gore films I doubt its too violent

Wat?
Rag Mop Do Do Duh DoDo Dedo Do!!!!!

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
Quote by wiggy1988
I doubt its as gruesome as people say. Though I still need to see it though.

-You know when your decensitised to violence when someone is bathing in someones blood as they hack at them with a Scythe and your paying more attention to their boobs.

It is actually quite gory, not as intense as Hostel, but comes close.
Quote by Red33
Wat?

I might be typing whilst intoxicated but its not that bad
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
I got it for my 13th birthday and i think that it is 1 of the best films I have ever seen. Definately the best foreign movie. And i feel the violent scenes helped to set the tone of the film. definately in my top 5 films, up there with teh godfather films and the like.
i absolutely loved this movie, it was a movie that u could get a bunch of guys to nearly cry at how depressing the end was..... i didnt even mind that it was in spanish because it was so well filmed and produced, undoubtedly one of the best ive ever seen

Quote by Dave Gilmour
How about the mouth corner slice?
That was really well done.
And then he stitches it up.....
*shiver*

ya.... that was a bit sick..... the whole stitching scene, but it added to the whole emphasis on pain throughout the movie
Love the movie.
Ever since I watched it, I've wanted to pit the fawn in this movie and the fawn in The Chronicles of Narnia in a battle to the death!!!
WE ARE THE NIGHTMARE
Quote by Musicman48858
oh, it's even worse....

That wasn't wine... it was Tequila

and debate, did she actually become the queen, or did she just die? You could have interpreted it either way...

I saw the whole film as a contrast between Ofelia's fantasy world and reality - so in fact - id say it was both - she DID become princess AND die...
Really really good. What else there is to say.
Quote by RoamingConflict
This one dream involved me, one random girl, midgets and a pie.

...and midgets ended up f*cking her. I got the pie.

The Orphanage, by the same director, is better. Very creepy and has a bit of gore too. If you liked Pan's Labyrinth you'll like this one. Check it out.
Quote by 'Leviathan'

Refresh my memory, I don't remember that scene.

Anyways I thought it was alright, kind of long but the mouth cutting part was sick and that monster with the eye hands was hilarious. I only watched it sober, it'd be pretty cool high.
^He mashes the guy's face in with the bottle (glass stronger than skull? Possibly not).

Although that reminds me it dad have awesome prosthetics. When the captain was sewing his face back together. That was rough. I'm surprised it was only a 15 though.

Depressing, yes.

I thought it was alright but not as much as everyone hyped it up to be.

Also, it had the DUMBEST section of film I've ever seen. When Ophelia eats the damn grapes with the eye demon thing. I mean, what the fuck? It's necessary for the plot but just wouldn't happen and clearly in there just because he couldn't think of a good way of doing it. As it is it pretty much ruined the film for me. It might sound picky but when you have characters behaving in unrealistic ways, you've just just cocked up your film. Especially when it's such a core part of the plot.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Meths
^He mashes the guy's face in with the bottle (glass stronger than skull? Possibly not).

Also, it had the DUMBEST section of film I've ever seen. When Ophelia eats the damn grapes with the eye demon thing. I mean, what the fuck? It's necessary for the plot but just wouldn't happen and clearly in there just because he couldn't think of a good way of doing it. As it is it pretty much ruined the film for me. It might sound picky but when you have characters behaving in unrealistic ways, you've just just cocked up your film. Especially when it's such a core part of the plot.

Damn I'm gonna have to check out that scene again, sounds familiar though.

And that grape scene was pretty dumb, it was obvious she wasn't supposed to eat it, and the monster didn't even do anything. Those were some big ass grapes though.
I'm composing a piece to run alongside the ending sequence in the film (death of ofelia to end) in music tech at the moment, it's actually very challenging to capture the changes in mood, and mix the grief of mercedes with the joy of ofelia becoming the princess

Very good film though. Probably the best foreign language film I've seen.
Quote by StaggHound
That's the problem with kids today. No upper body strength.
Back in my day, when you smashed a guitar, it stayed smashed.

Cunning Pikes

The one and only member of the Cunning Pike Club.
Page 1 of 2