hi guys!!!

after reading some stuff (i read a lot) i figured out that it would be very positive to plan my practice sessions, as I have no teacher Id like that any of you tell me what you think about it.

i like metal (mostly thrash metal) and I thought I could do it like this for a 2 hour session:

Sweep Picking: 10 min
String Skipping: 10 min
Tapping: 10 min
Shredding: 10 min (fast alternate picking etc)
Pinch Harmonics: 5 min (i miss these harmonics a lot :S)
Ear Training: 20 min (transcribing songs, working Pantera's Psycho Holyday atm, i suck at it lol)
Composing: 15 min (i record my own stuff, i hope someday I get something cool)
Improvising: 10 min (I solo mostly over the riffs Ive recorded myself)
Playing Covers: 30 min (the funniest part for me, I try to play other ppl songs with the help of Guitar Pro)

what do you think? :p

there are some other disciplines that interest me a lot, like Chicken Picking or Fingering Arpeggios, but I hardly ever have time for it :S
it sounds like you are trying to do too much in a short period. 10-15 minutes on most subjects won't be enough to really get much done. I would say work on fewer subjects each day and devote more time to each......... I find that strict routines such as this never really work because they constrain you too much. Work on whatever you are in the mood for each day, if you are in the mood to just play music you aren't going to want to do dry technique and then your practice won't be properly focused.
Quote by Captain Garry
it sounds like you are trying to do too much in a short period. 10-15 minutes on most subjects won't be enough to really get much done. I would say work on fewer subjects each day and devote more time to each......... I find that strict routines such as this never really work because they constrain you too much. Work on whatever you are in the mood for each day, if you are in the mood to just play music you aren't going to want to do dry technique and then your practice won't be properly focused.

mmm i guess you're right, cause yesterday I started with Sweeping Picking and the 10 minutes were gone in a blink

but isnt it good to plan my practice session somehow? :S
Quote by Gacel
Ear Training: 20 min (transcribing songs, working Pantera's Psycho Holyday atm, i suck at it lol)

You're going to want to devote more time to ear training too. If you only go for 20 mins a session, the song you're transcribing is going to take forever. Try giving yourself a half hour AT LEAST, if not more.

Just basically what the other guy said, increase times or decrease subject matter.

I would go for a weekly routine of switching on and off between certain subjects.
█████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████
Portugal. The Man »–
Quote by jasonmetal love
I would go for a weekly routine of switching on and off between certain subjects.

mmmm I like the idea
Quote by Gacel
mmm i guess you're right, cause yesterday I started with Sweeping Picking and the 10 minutes were gone in a blink

but isnt it good to plan my practice session somehow? :S

Everybody is different so I suppose a strict schedule might work for some. I never plan anything in that I say I'm going to do this for 30 minutes on Tuesday, but I still have a general idea of the things I need to work on.... just pick up whatever you feel you need to work on most and do it until you feel you've gotten what you can out of it for the practice session. The most important thing is to recognize when youve sort of "maxed out" on a topic for your particular session so you aren't wasting time just repeating yourself. You really need to be in the mood to work on a particular subject to really get anything out of it which is why I don't make very specific plans of what to practice. So basically have an idea of the things you want to work on, and just pick a topic depending on your mood and make sure you are focused in your study and it should be fine.
i would recommend deciding each day what you want to practice before picking up the guitar. try and set out lengths of time (30 mins or more) for each thing you want to work on and devote more time to things you want to improve rather than reinforce. of course while you play you may decide you want to practice sweeping for longer, thus do it, but make adjustments for the other things you wanted to practice, such as doing them the next day or lessening the amount of time spent on other things.

don't listen to anyone who tells you that you shouldn't have a routine. try it, if it works for you keep it. if not then it wasn't for you in the first place, but at least you know.