I am a young guitarist and i have been looking for a second guitar. Previously i have been playing a squier strat, but i want to move up to something a little heavier.

Two guitars I have been looking at are:
The Ibanez GRG170DX

The Epiphone Les Paul Special

I have played the Special and have been quite satisfied with it.
My budget is under £200 ($400).
I have been told that it is worth saving up for something better, but I just don't have the money at the moment.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I have a Hughes and Kettner amp, (ATS 120watt) plus a Boss GT-3.
I am a musician. Therefore, I am hairy.

My gear:
Squire Strat (n00b guitar)
Hughes and Kettner ATS amp
Boss GT-3
Avia Pro II Bass

Quote by Poop
I hate U!!! U'r a sad pokemon beeatch!!
Last edited by Nick616 at Jun 18, 2008,
Quote by Nick616

I have been told that it is worth saving up for something better, but I just don't have the money at the moment.

Contradiction?
What amp have you got?
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
I love my GRG170DX, but it was my first guitar. I think you should save up and get something a bit more upmarket if I'm honest. Have patience!
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
the ibanez. it looks so much cooler than the lp
??? Fund: cba to keep up with it.
will at least try when I get a jerb
੧_\\\

yours,

Alex (mcfreaki)
If you want a LP in that price range I'd stay away from Epiphone, their lower cost models are known for quality problems. The Agiles from rondomusic.com are probably one of the best values in this price range.
Ex: http://www.rondomusic.com/al3000prestblk.html
Most Ibanez's should do alright, and you could take a look at the Ibanez ART's if you want an LP shape. I'd take a look at an Ibanez S like this one personally: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SZ320EX-Electric-Guitar?sku=512546

P.S. What is your amp?
Last edited by B. Jammin at Jun 18, 2008,
I don't really care if it is an LP style. the best thing would be like a B.C. Rich but with a better sound.

What would be a better price range?
I am a musician. Therefore, I am hairy.

My gear:
Squire Strat (n00b guitar)
Hughes and Kettner ATS amp
Boss GT-3
Avia Pro II Bass

Quote by Poop
I hate U!!! U'r a sad pokemon beeatch!!
Last edited by Nick616 at Jun 18, 2008,
First Act just came out with a metal guitar for about $150. Yes, it's very cheap, but it actually sounds pretty good and it has a switch that adds 16dB of gain when you switch it on.
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
The two guitars you've got listed are pretty atrocious, steer clear.

This is about the best you can do from Ibanez.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ibanez-rg321-mh/67798

If you want a Les Paul -type go for a Vintage V100

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/72458

however you'd be much better off saving up another £100 or so, your options open up tremendously then.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jun 18, 2008,
a few days ago i went to the shop try a mustang and felt in love with it

but the money was the issue but i found that some website let you pay it in 4 payment 1 a month maybe you should try it im getting my mustang today * swing arms around*

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
Get a Les Paul. They cost alot new but I saw 2 at a paen shop for $200-$250. Man, I love that guitar!
I'm assuming you saw Epiphones. The lower end models like the LP-100 cost about that much brand new. So that's not really a good judge of price w/o knowing what models they were.
Quote by crackhutch
First Act just came out with a metal guitar for about $150. Yes, it's very cheap, but it actually sounds pretty good and it has a switch that adds 16dB of gain when you switch it on.

link?
Quote by crackhutch

Did you just suggest a First Act?

EDIT: AND as a second guitar? Wow.
Last edited by TheProducer at Jun 18, 2008,
all my friends have ibanez guitars and i have heard them compare to my other friends les paul and they play smoother and better than the les paul
you fag go play drums
Quote by keen jams
all my friends have ibanez guitars and i have heard them compare to my other friends les paul and they play smoother and better than the les paul

This is far too general. Of course a good Ibanez will play better than a cheap Epi LP. Who knows what models they were.
Quote by TheProducer

Second Act

But I wouldn't get an Agile, you can only get them online I think, so you wouldn't know how it plays. (Even though everyone says they play great, you may hate them; like I do!!)

So I would go to a guitar shop and try out some guitars, and if you like one, buy it online!!
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by TheProducer

Did you see Guitar World's review on the guitar?

They said it wasn't too bad for a beginner level guitar.
Agiles are the US, no? He's in the UK, so there's probably not much point recommending them.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|