Hi UG's,

While praticing scales, for instance minor pentatonic and blues scales, I notice that all posted lessons nerver include open strings but in the key of E which of course Box 1 starts on the first part of the fretboard. Does this means that you don't play open strings with other keys? For instance, the key of A never show scales starting with open strings but begins on fret 2 with Box 5.

Another question regarding those scales. Is Box 1 is always the box where the first note is the note that starts in the same note of the key. Like key of A which Box 1 begins on the fifth fret and key of B on the seventh and so on... I guess this is the way to remember those scales but I just want to learn them right!

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/scales/blues_scales.html

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/scales/caged_system_for_the_blues_scale.html

Thanks in advance to all of you guys
Adamsville2K
Fender FM 210R
Last edited by adamsville2k at Jun 18, 2008,
try not to think of them as box positions, think of them as notes if you can. You can play scales in the open position you just have to find the right notes there.

Scales are not just a box of notes but a sequence of notes all over the fretboard, if you learn where all of them are you can play in any position. And yes you can play any key in any position
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Quote by chimpinatux
try not to think of them as box positions, think of them as notes if you can. You can play scales in the open position you just have to find the right notes there.

Scales are not just a box of notes but a sequence of notes all over the fretboard, if you learn where all of them are you can play in any position. And yes you can play any key in any position

+1

just look at the notes of the scales - if any of the notes correspond to the open strings then you can use them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com