Ive always thought of them as being best for like hard rockish metal, like Zakk Wylde and Slash stuff.
Member #8 of the "I Love Mexican Food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join
What kind of metal?
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by Bloodshed
What kind of metal?

man, look at the title of thread

I think they're good for heavy metal, a lot of heavy metal bands uses Marshall's
TRV SATANIC KVLT!!!

My Last.fm

Quote by Guitar0player
All I heard was "cookie cookie cookie"
Zakk Wylde is heavy metal, not hard rock (at least if you mean black label society). So there, you basically answered your own question, since Zakk Wylde uses a Marshall Jcm 800 (alhough it's modded for more gain, but whatever).
Come on, NILE use marshalls. they can do heavy. /thread
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
dude i think marshalls will do u good for any genre,, depending on the model.
-BiOhAZarD722-
Originally Posted by Gizzard101
I personally prefer Dr.Dre but Lil Jon is gangsta home boy fresh aswell.
...lol wtf?
Quote by lzrdsixsix6
sounds like you have a severe case of the dumbass.....it's quite common in the pit really just sleep it off
Quote by Witching_hour

I think they're good for heavy metal, a lot of heavy metal bands uses Marshall's

"Heavy metal" could mean anything from Iron Maiden to Pig Destroyer. They're quite different.

JCM800's and 900's are both good mid- to high- gain amps, they could probably handle most metal subgenres with a good OD. I wouldn't reccomend trying to play any Napalm Death on a Bluesbreaker, though.
Nile, Slayer, Iron Maiden if I'm not mistaken all use Marshalls.

But it depends on the marshall. An MG is gonna get you nowhere but JCM800 heads are amazing for metal.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
the Kerry King sig head has tons of gain, jcm2000s and jvms have alot of gain too i think
gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez RG
Peavey Nitro
Takamine EG-351SSC
Bugera 333xl 212

My Music:
MySpace
Facebook
add me!
Heavy enough for Slayer
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Sure. The MG has crushing distortion.
Gear
Epiphone G-400
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Blackstar HT-Dual
MXR 10-Band EQ
Marshall JVM is teh sex. Loads of gain.

The KK jcm800 wasn't my thing but it was still plenty heavy for any type of metal you want to do.

Standard fair marshall like a dsl or 900 could use a boost to get into the super heavy territory. Just my 2 cents.
James Hetfield uses Marshall, not sure which one though...
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Quote by fila_93
James Hetfield uses Marshall, not sure which one though...

They used modded Marshalls on Kill 'em All and Ride the Lightning, but they started using Mesas around Master of Puppets- era.
Quote by lpcustom325
the Kerry King sig head has tons of gain, jcm2000s and jvms have alot of gain too i think

my guitar instructor has a JVM and says it has a crazy amount of gain.
depends on the voicing you're going for though.
Marshall probably wouldn't be my first choice for the death metal i play as i like the smoothness of 6l6s instead of the crunchiness of EL34s.
It's all preference.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by Witching_hour

Well thats qualitative. Some people say heavy metal and think Judas Priest, some think Cannibal Corpse. Without getting into the sub genre talk everyone knows and loves you can't be specific enough. If he's talking Iron Maiden, marshall is golden. If he's talking modern metal, many times marshall has a hard time keeping up. Just saying
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
My JCM800 absolutely rips with my OD and EQ, you probably need a noise gate though. It has that awesome raw Slayer, old Sepultura kinda tone, which I like a lot.
ESP LTD M-400
Marshall JCM 800 2205 Halfstack
Dunlop Crybaby
Keeley BOSS SD-1
MXR 10 band EQ
iSP Decimator
Depending on the model, Marshall has already proven to be a great heavy metal amp.
Quote by chimpinatux
Come on, NILE use marshalls. they can do heavy. /thread

Senator Ted Kennedy approves this message.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Senator Ted Kennedy approves this message.

Anyway, the JCM's paired with an OD and perhaps and EQ will easily do pretty much all 80's thrash metal and NWOBHM stuff.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Marshall tube amps are the way to go. Push them volume wise and youll get the Marshall tone (which is godly imho). Use a drive pedal like a tube screamer or other OD pedal to drive em even harder.

marshalls do not automatically do like a Bullet for my Valentine tone tho. If thats what youre after, there are easier ways to get it. Marshalls can do all kinds of metal imho, but youll definately need some kind of pedal in front of a Marshall jcm to get the most modern (ie heaviest) tones.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Quote by Bloodshed
Well thats qualitative. Some people say heavy metal and think Judas Priest, some think Cannibal Corpse. Without getting into the sub genre talk everyone knows and loves you can't be specific enough. If he's talking Iron Maiden, marshall is golden. If he's talking modern metal, many times marshall has a hard time keeping up. Just saying

No, when people say heavy metal they usually mean classic metal, as in Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, etc.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
No, when people say heavy metal they usually mean classic metal, as in Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, etc.

Yeah, unless they're noobs
We all know what I mean; "IM SOO TR00 N KVLT I LISTN TO SLIPKNT N KORN SOO UNDRGRND HEVEY METAL U NO, RIGHT???1!½½§1§11"
Last edited by Pingis_Or_Death at Jun 19, 2008,
Quote by Sonicxlover

Of course, if you're referring to those particular bands, it's better pronounced "'evy met'l." With a heavy British accent of course.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
a JVM or vintage modern prolly is, a plexi or bluesbreaker? less so
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
JVM= Too much unusable squeely gain.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
I just wanted to sum up my opinion really simply;

MARSHALLS ARE GOD'S AMPS.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Quote by Walternativo
I just wanted to sum up my opinion really simply;

MARSHALLS ARE GOD'S AMPS.

Eric's playing Cornell's lately, I thought....
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Marshall amps have gone down the tube lately. I have no more respect for Marshall amps after they sold out to Korg. The quality and expense of their products coming out lately is piss poor. Go get a real amp, like a Mesa Stiletto or a Splawn if you want that Marshall tone.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
cannibal corpse and children of bodom use marhsall how heavy do you want to get?
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by Slaytanic6606
Nile, Slayer, Iron Maiden if I'm not mistaken all use Marshalls.

But it depends on the marshall. An MG is gonna get you nowhere but JCM800 heads are amazing for metal.

and Death

Prophet o Page: You mean....John......right?
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
I wouldn't reccomend trying to play any Napalm Death on a Bluesbreaker, though.

I would actually like to hear what that sounds like.
Quote by bi-ah!
cannibal corpse and children of bodom use marhsall how heavy do you want to get?

Yes, but cannibal uses a MT-2 distortion pedal in front of it.
Yeah, Marshalls can do metal. JCM800s and older Valvestates are fairly popular for thrash metal and death metal. It's all a matter of what sort of voicing you'd like it to have.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Yes.

Depending on the tone you like.

I use my marshall for metalcore.

I like it.

lol and i brought my marshall cause it was "smoother" than a 6l6 amp i was testing it against(ibanez somethingorother).
Not the sole reason i brought it.
But it made me not even think of the other amp anymore.

Anyways yes depending on what tone you like for heavy metal.