Page 1 of 2
Do You think that a seven stringed guitar is a good idea? I'm thinking about buying a new guitar and a seven string guitar is in consideration.
Got me an RG1527

It depends whether you can get used to the really wide neck but if the low B is worth it to you (and it is to me) then its definately worth it
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
For metal stuff yes, anything else no just stick with 6. Personally I find the B too low and wouldn't find a use for it.
Are you thinking of buying one because you constantly try learning new songs only to find out they're on 7s? Or do you compose in extended ranges? Or do you just like the novelty of it...

Try before you buy is the biggest thing with 7s, the RG1527 is my model and its great.

but please take it to the 7 string thread...

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Martindecorum
not really any thing can be played with an extra string, just cause its thick and heavy doesnt make it METAL

I partially agree with that but the low B would only really make heavy riffs, someone into punk would have very little use for it and i'm into classic rock and I couldn't either.
Quote by aaciseric
I partially agree with that but the low B would only really make heavy riffs, someone into punk would have very little use for it and i'm into classic rock and I couldn't either.

ok i understand
Quote by aaciseric

its actually quite cool for playing clean stuff though. i compose a fair amount of stuff like that, and think for example the opening part of DT's a change of seasons
not just metal
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
In my opinion ...

Reasons for having another 6 strings:
- You can use more than 1 tuning at a time (ex : Standard and Dropped D, or all strings tuned down 2 steps (C) )
- You can have many sounds, if your first guitar sounds more metal, your second could sound more jazzy. It's better for versatility to have more guitars.
- Different playability. One could be better for riffs and chords, the other for leads and solos.

Reasons for a 7 strings:
- You don't need to downtune you guitar to reach the B note, and if you downtune, you can reach the A# and A without trouble.
- You can play things on high and low notes at the same time.
- If you buy one before me, I'll envy you and if I see you, I'll steal it to you :P ( no chance it happens ).

The only thing I wait to buy and Ibanez RG7321 is to have a but more money, once I have more, I'll pay some, and tell my mother to pay the rest :P ( I'll also buy DiMarzio pickups, D Sonic 7, and Air Norton 7 )

If you buy a pretty low-end 7 strings, I suggest you to also buy better pickups. Thats what I did with my Bc Rich Beast, and the sound is infinitely better.
Hello, Mirror - so glad to see you my friend, it's been a while

Help me - I can't break out this prison all alone
Save me - I'm drowning and I'm hopeless on my own
Heal me - I can't restore my sanity alone
6 string>7 string. Unless your totally into metal get 6th string
In Thirteen Seconds
It's been thirteen seconds
since you all last said
i've become the apparition
You predicted for my death

Myspace
7 strings are killer for jazz too...just saying
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by fenderbassist
Honestly, I don't see the point in 7-string guitars.

&

Quote by Aaron the 4th
6 string>7 string. Unless your totally into metal get 6th string

GAH! Closed minded n00bs

You can do everything you can do on a 6 string on a 7 string and more! They are barely bigger, and they are barely more expensive (infact most are very well priced)

7 string guitar originated on jazz, and the low string can be used for anything you want, you just assume its for metal because thats what the mainstream dictates, there is tons of ER jazz and classical.

Clearly 7 > 6

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
not to highjack this thread or anything...
but i personally think 7>6, so i'm thinking of purchasing a 7 tring in the future.
but does anyone have experience with the Agile Interceptor pro 25?
It looks amazing for $600.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by aaciseric
I partially agree with that but the low B would only really make heavy riffs, someone into punk would have very little use for it...
First song I ever wrote on a 7-string was actually a punk song

IMHO, I think 7-strings are pretty stinkin' cool. They can be intimidating and if you read into it for days upon days (Without trying it), yes it could be too much. But, if you just shut your brain off and play the thing, you'll find you can do a whole lot with it.

Something a lot of people need to realize is that things like pickups and number of strings absolutely, under no circumstances whatsoever, dictate what type of music you can or can't play with said implement.

Grab yourself an RG7321 (Cheap and great 7-string) and just have fun with it. If it ends up working for you, good, if not, there are always people looking for them.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
go for it! and after you get that one down. go for the ibanez 8 string.

jym
Quote by Absent Mind
&

GAH! Closed minded n00bs

You can do everything you can do on a 6 string on a 7 string and more! They are barely bigger, and they are barely more expensive (infact most are very well priced)

7 string guitar originated on jazz, and the low string can be used for anything you want, you just assume its for metal because thats what the mainstream dictates, there is tons of ER jazz and classical.

Clearly 7 > 6

Hmm Metal...Jazz...and Classical Im totally buying a 7th string to play some Jazz and some classical....NO. Jazz is good in its own right... but 6th string is better i mean low B is like an extremely useless tuning for one thing. If your into alternative, punk and what not, dont buy it please. Metal only ok
In Thirteen Seconds
It's been thirteen seconds
since you all last said
i've become the apparition
You predicted for my death

Myspace
Quote by Aaron the 4th
...but 6th string is better i mean low B is like an extremely useless tuning for one thing. If your into alternative, punk and what not, dont buy it please. Metal only ok

One more time since it can't be said enough...
Quote by jm1681
...number of strings absolutely, under no circumstances whatsoever, dictate what type of music you can or can't play with said implement...
Like I said, just hit up a store and play one.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by Aaron the 4th
Hmm Metal...Jazz...and Classical Im totally buying a 7th string to play some Jazz and some classical....NO. Jazz is good in its own right... but 6th string is better i mean low B is like an extremely useless tuning for one thing. If your into alternative, punk and what not, dont buy it please. Metal only ok

err... why so narrow minded? anything you can do on a 6-string, you can do on a 7, and more
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by aaciseric
For metal stuff yes, anything else no just stick with 6. Personally I find the B too low and wouldn't find a use for it.

NO.

Jazz/Classical players around the world use 8 string guitars, so a 7 isn't only for metal.

Some people...
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
There is no better variant of guitar, i personally prefer 7+ strings but thats just me, i'm not going to even try and convince you to buy a 7 for the sake of it. Try one out and see how you get on with it, there are plenty of people who just dont naturally gel with the extended range, it's just about you as a player. I mean buy all means try one out, but dont feel like you have to get one if you intend to tune low, some people prefer detuned 6's over 7's.
Anyways, onto my opinion about a 7.

I say get it, I prefer very tight strings over flabby loose strings. When you down tune to B on a 6 (besides getting an F# on the B, instead of a normal G that the 7 gives) the strings are wobbly unless you use heavy as hell strings. Also, being able to switch from a very high-pitched shred into a low rumbling riff is always very nice.

Get that RG7321 as everyone is saying, as much as I dislike Ibanez, they make monstrous 7'ers.

Monstrous = good, by the way.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
^ Word.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by aaciseric

Ever heard of a little thing called Jazz?

John Pizzarelli > You
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jun 18, 2008,
Exactly. They have 10 string classical guitars and such. And 8 string jazz guitars. I'll put links if you want them. That should go to show you that you can use a 7 string for whatever you want. Anyone that says otherwise is simply ignorant, narrow minded, or hasn't actually gotten to play/listen to them used properly. However, just as a note, This is somewhat the wrong forum. You probably should have posted this in the Electric Guitar forum, as GG&A is more amp and effect related discussion. However, click the link in my sig for the place that 7's should actually be discussed. There's not too much need for another thread.

MikeyMetal, I haven't gotten to play one, but the people at sevenstring.org seem to like Agile's stuff a lot. Actually, they are working on producing several 8 strings in the $500-$700 range, so I'll be picking one of those up eventually probably.
Quote by TheShred201
Exactly. They have 10 string classical guitars and such. And 8 string jazz guitars. I'll put links if you want them. That should go to show you that you can use a 7 string for whatever you want. Anyone that says otherwise is simply ignorant, narrow minded, or hasn't actually gotten to play/listen to them used properly. However, just as a note, This is somewhat the wrong forum. You probably should have posted this in the Electric Guitar forum, as GG&A is more amp and effect related discussion. However, click the link in my sig for the place that 7's should actually be discussed. There's not too much need for another thread.

MikeyMetal, I haven't gotten to play one, but the people at sevenstring.org seem to like Agile's stuff a lot. Actually, they are working on producing several 8 strings in the $500-$700 range, so I'll be picking one of those up eventually probably.

maybe I'll just wait for an 8 string then, might be tough to get used too, but the added range would be awesome.
It'd take me a hell of a long time to use it to its potential.
But I've always wanted to play some Meshuggah in the right tuning.
Thank you!
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
^ i really recommend you at least play a 7 beforehand before committing to buying an 8, they're completely different to play, trust me.
^ Agree.

FWIW, I can't physically play an 8-string. My hands just aren't big enough.

The little bit I did get out of my experience with an Ibanez 8-string was enough to convince me that for the way I play, 7 is more than enough
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
^ i really recommend you at least play a 7 beforehand before committing to buying an 8, they're completely different to play, trust me.

alright, i figured the jump would be kind of big.
i don't exactly have the largest hands in the world either
thanks for the advice!
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Try a 7-string, you'll more than likely dig it
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Yeah seriously, you cant actually understand how big the neck is and how different the scale length is until you try one out. Jumping from a 6 to an 8 would be crazy IMO
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
Yeah seriously, you cant actually understand how big the neck is and how different the scale length is until you try one out. Jumping from a 6 to an 8 would be crazy IMO

how long did you spend on a 7 string until you jumped to an 8?
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
About a year really, i played an RG2228 for like 5-10 mins and when the octavia 8 came up in a forum my impulses took over and i jumped on it, the RG2228 is a superior guitar but im content with mine for the moment
I agree with my fellow Legion Members that there is absolutely no loss from buying a 7 string guitar, there's only a gain, it opens your mind for newer ideas, it makes playing some scales easier, and for all who is say it is just useful for metal, Thanks for being ignorant. Think about it, it still has the normal 6 strings! How the hell will having 1 extra low string disable it from Every other genre of music?
A good way to avoid nwbs like this is to ask questions in the Sevenstring Legion thread, that way you'll avoid closed minded n00bs and you'll get good responses from people who play and own 7's and who actually know what they're talking about.
EDIT: And making the jump from a 6 to a 8 would be a bit too much for all at once because of so many differences between the 2 for playability and the general feel of the instrument, so IMO it would be better in your favour to go 7 before 8.
Last edited by bowen at Jun 18, 2008,
Quote by bowen
I agree with my fellow Legion Members that there is absolutely no loss from buying a 7 string guitar, there's only a gain, it opens your mind for newer ideas, it makes playing some scales easier, and for all who is say it is just useful for metal, Thanks for being ignorant. Think about it, it still has the normal 6 strings! How the hell will having 1 extra low string disable it from Every other genre of music?
A good way to avoid nwbs like this is to ask questions in the Sevenstring Legion thread, that way you'll avoid closed minded n00bs and you'll get good responses from people who play and own 7's and who actually know what they're talking about.
EDIT: And making the jump from a 6 to a 8 would be a bit too much for all at once because of so many differences between the 2 for playability and the general feel of the instrument, so IMO it would be better in your favour to go 7 before 8.

There are . No 7 strings with HSS unless you go custom (or ask for a custom pickguard for the UV) and some pickups arent available for 7 strings.

I'm not a 7 hater btw, I want one too.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
As true as that may be, Schecter makes one that has humbucker bridge and a single coil in the neck if that's your thing, but I don't know if many 7 players who are looking for an HSS configuration due to most 7's that are HSH have coil split, so it's no problem.
Why does everyone keep quoting my comment, all I said was that practically alot of types of rock music would be easier to play with 6 strings, I never said anything about jazz either but people are using that word as disproof for my point, all I meant was that metal is a good style for a seventh string because the low notes are good for darker and heavier riffs, people probably use it for other styles but I don't really think it's a good idea to buy one just to play those genres, play it for the love of the instrument not the genre.
Page 1 of 2