ok i would think this has been asked before, but i would like sum answers anyway.

ive been playing guitar for over a year and a half now, but i just started playing bass in a band. how do i change my mentality? i know u have to think of the bass as a totally diff instrument, but i would like to know why and how i can do this
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Realize it's fun to set the foundation to music and lock in w/the drummer?
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Mindset? Don't try to translate your bass playing through guitar knowledge. It will hold you back. It's a different beast than guitar.

Think like a drummer. Seriously. The biggest issue that guitarist have going to bass is that they need to be dead on beat. You are a member of the rhythm section now, so that skill is vital.

I struggled with slap bass until I watched my better half play slap on my bass. He had no problem, because he approached it rhythmical. (Yes, I just admitted I learned slap bass from a drummer...)
Realize it's fun to set the foundation to music and lock in w/the drummer?

+1, you can't be all over the place. Even if you're just going to do a fill, you have to hold on to the pulse/groove of the song.
i dont think neccecarily need to chage your mentality on how you play, i started on guitar and moved to bass to play in a band and find it much easier and more creative to relate the bass to playing lead guitar, dont see it as a backing instrument to the guitars but as a lead instrument in its own right with licks, riffs and solo's just as good.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
^ for the love of god, don't do that. At least not straight away.

I think of it like speaking a different language. You can scrape by if you make a sentence in English and then try and figure it out in French, but what you want is the French to come as naturally as the English. This means putting aside what you already know and approaching it as something new. I'm finding this hard to explain, so I'll think more and post again later.
Quote by anarkee
Mindset? Don't try to translate your bass playing through guitar knowledge. It will hold you back. It's a different beast than guitar.

Think like a drummer. Seriously. The biggest issue that guitarist have going to bass is that they need to be dead on beat. You are a member of the rhythm section now, so that skill is vital.

I struggled with slap bass until I watched my better half play slap on my bass. He had no problem, because he approached it rhythmical. (Yes, I just admitted I learned slap bass from a drummer...)
Huh?
Quote by smb
I think of it like speaking a different language. You can scrape by if you make a sentence in English and then try and figure it out in French, but what you want is the French to come as naturally as the English. This means putting aside what you already know and approaching it as something new. I'm finding this hard to explain, so I'll think more and post again later.
Tis deep, good analogy

EDIT: Nevermind the bolded "He"s I thought you were talking about yourself.
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Last edited by AboveTheBridge at Jun 18, 2008,
Quote by AboveTheBridge
Huh?
anarkee is a lady, and her husband isn't. How is that confusing?
Quote by AboveTheBridge
Tis deep, good analogy
Thanks, I've used it before but explained it better before
There are no women in the Internet, boyce.

And I say that if you want to make a melodic or lead bass or whatever first you should have the basics down, few things are as anoying as a bass solo that gets out the timing and such.
Quote by seizetheday1103
ok i would think this has been asked before, but i would like sum answers anyway.

ive been playing guitar for over a year and a half now, but i just started playing bass in a band. how do i change my mentality? i know u have to think of the bass as a totally diff instrument, but i would like to know why and how i can do this

It sounds like you've already done one of the hardest things and that's realise that bass is a different instrument. I'm always amazed at the number of guitarists who don't get that.

Aside from the other good advice on this thread, I'd just recommend listening to lots of different genres and listening to what the bass is doing in relation to the other instruments. Especially listen to genres you wouldn't normally listen to, bass in different genres often has similar characteristics and unfamiliar music can make this easier to pick out.

The more you do this, the more it becomes 2nd nature to fall into traditional bass roles whilst also helping think outside the box.
Try drumming on random things. Then use that mentality for bass. That worked for me.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
Try drumming on random things. Then use that mentality for bass. That worked for me.

i already do that when i listen to a song, i play air drums or air guitar along w/ it (yea im cool, i know)
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
I don't know if this is something you can be like "Oh yeah, that's what I need to do, I'll do it"... but this is what I do:

Anytime I'm listening to music, unless I'm singing it or I'm completely unfamiliar with it, my teeth get moving. I start grinding and clacking them in rhythm, trying to feel the groove and where bumps in the groove sound good.

That's the kind of mentality I think you need for the bass. Constant groove-finding. With teeth.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Seconded, with bass you need to find the groove of a song. Often you won't hear the bass very loud in a song, but if you can find the groove, then it's a little easier to find the right notes to play. Works for me, though I don't play much by ear.
Quote by WhyLater
I don't know if this is something you can be like "Oh yeah, that's what I need to do, I'll do it"... but this is what I do:

Anytime I'm listening to music, unless I'm singing it or I'm completely unfamiliar with it, my teeth get moving. I start grinding and clacking them in rhythm, trying to feel the groove and where bumps in the groove sound good.

That's the kind of mentality I think you need for the bass. Constant groove-finding. With teeth.

I thought I was the only one who did that! Except I hit my tongue against the back of my teeth.