Ok, I just wanted to make a new thread for this because I figure I can just get all my final questions out of the way.

So the basic story is, can't use a computer because I only have a desktop two floors away, so am buying a multi-track recorder.
I'm undecided between
Boss BR600 and Fostex MR8HD

I recognize the (dis)advantages of both and I just want to try it out before I decide.

Anyway, here's my main question. Originally I had planned to pick up an SM57 to record guitar/bass, and single mic drums. I thought that my friend was going to pick up the 990/991 set, so I could use that for recording. However, because he more desperately needed a live setup, he ended up purchasing three AKG dynamic mics. They look exactly like this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/AKG-D5-Handheld-Dynamic-Microphone?sku=270475

except he got them in a package deal with a mixer, and I find it hard to believe that each of those mics were $129. I still need to ask him what the name of the model was to be sure.

So my question is, should I buy the SM57 or the MXL set?
If I buy the SM57, I'll have four dynamics to work with, but I'll have to use them to record acoustic and vocals as well.
If I buy the MXL set, I'll have dynamic and condenser to work with, but I don't know the quality of those AKG mics. Also, they are vocal mics, so I don't know how great they'd be for amps.

If anyone has any idea what those mics could be, that'd be great. Assuming they are mid/lower quality, which choice would you go with?

Ketchup

EDIT: Either way, now I'd have at least three mics (although possibly sketchy quality) to mic drums with.
Last edited by KetchupLad14 at Jun 18, 2008,
you could try direct recording depending on your amp, but I would go with the boss recorder. Or you could look at a Tascam porta studio.
Quote by aaciseric
you could try direct recording depending on your amp, but I would go with the boss recorder. Or you could look at a Tascam porta studio.

I'll check out that MTR too, but that didn't answer my question.
Quote by KetchupLad14
I'll check out that MTR too, but that didn't answer my question.

Yeah I didn't really understand the question tbh, can you bottom line it for me and i'll try to help.
Quote by aaciseric
Yeah I didn't really understand the question tbh, can you bottom line it for me and i'll try to help.

arg, fine.

Friend has three ok-quality dynamic vocal mics that I have access to. Should I get SM57 and use those four to record everything (including acoustic and vox as well as drums and such) or pick up the MXL 990/991 set, and use the maybe-not-so-great vocal dynamics to record amps and such?
For acoustic I would go with the MXL set. Condensers are much easier to work with when recording low volume instruments like an acoustic guitar.

The MXL 990 is great for vocals and the 991 works good on amp cabs.
I have the 990/991 in my studio and like these mics a lot.

When it comes to the MTRs, I suggest the Frostex. More inputs and larger storage is a good thing to have when tracking things like drums.
You can use the MXL 991 as an overhead on drums and the dynamics your friend has can be used to mic a few drums around the kit.

The SM57 would be nice to pick up later if you wanted to mic the snare, it sounds great in that spot...same for toms...
Quote by moody07747
For acoustic I would go with the MXL set. Condensers are much easier to work with when recording low volume instruments like an acoustic guitar.

The MXL 990 is great for vocals and the 991 works good on amp cabs.
I have the 990/991 in my studio and like these mics a lot.

When it comes to the MTRs, I suggest the Frostex. More inputs and larger storage is a good thing to have when tracking things like drums.
You can use the MXL 991 as an overhead on drums and the dynamics your friend has can be used to mic a few drums around the kit.

The SM57 would be nice to pick up later if you wanted to mic the snare, it sounds great in that spot...same for toms...