Hey UG. Pretty soon I'm going to have some wiring to do for my guitar that I'm building. The only issue is, I have never wired anything so I don't really know what I'm doing, but from looking at some pickup wiring schematics, I should be able to follow it with no trouble. Here's how I want it to be wired:

I have 3 pots: 2 volume pots and a master tone push/pull. I want to have a 3-way selector like on a Les Paul, with the first position on the bridge pickup and the 3rd position on the neck pickup. The middle position with the push/pull PULLED is going to have the inner two coils activated, and when it is PUSHED, I want to have both humbuckers on. I'm having a D-sonic 7 in the bridge and a Blaze 7 Neck in the neck position. Is this how I'd wire it?

Also, on the 3 pots I have... for the push/pull tone, it says A500k, and that means it's audio taper. On the other two pots for volume, there is nothing but "EP086 500K 0750 CTS" on the bottom, so I don't know if they are audio or linear taper. (Audio taper is what I want for volume, correct? Will audio taper also work fine for tone?)

Lastly, could somebody explain series vs parallel wiring, and the advantages/disadvantages of both?

Thanks in advance.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Last edited by 6DgOfInTb at Jun 18, 2008,
Series/Parallel Wiring - Series is standard wiring, Parallel is brighter has 30% less output than Series, kinda like single coils but still hum cancelling

That Seymour Duncan diagram would have the "Pushed" position as normal, meaning both humbuckers are on. "Pulled would be a coil split. I think if you flip around the wiring, it'll do what you want, but seems rather annoying to me, since the pickups will also be split in the neck and bridge positions.

I user linear taper for tone, myself, and audio taper for volume.

Make sure you get the color coding correct, Dimarzio and Duncan have different wiring colors.
Ok, thanks a lot. I'll probably go with the pulled position as the coil split, then.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build