it completely depends on your taste, when you listen to your music, what do you rock out to, those hard core solos, or the nice ambient base solos?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

chances are the bass player will be in higher demand for bands since there are less of them. that being said, pick what YOU like, not what others want. try them both out, and go with the one you enjoyed more and felt more comfortable with.

and don't forget, you can always play both :P
Jackson DKMG Dinky, Ibanez RG 7321, Ibanez RG 350EX
Bugera 6262-212 (120 watt), Line 6 Spider lll (30 watt)

Pearl Forum Series Drums
Sabian B8 Cymbals (ride, hi-hats, 3x crash, splash)
If you learn guitar and music theory first you can easily move onto Bass later.
Moving on.....
learn bass with a good teacher for like a few years and then teach yerself to play guitar then youll know both pretty well. Tis was i did
Gear:
Guitars/ Basses:
PRS SE singlecut w/Tremolo
Epiphone Sg
Epiphone Thunderbird

Waiting in the wings:
Squier Strat mod
(soon to start)

Amps:
Line 6 Spider JAM
Peavey Max 115 bass amp
I took up bass purely because of the demand for bassists in my area. Everyone plays guitar and not bass and I gotta say I'm glad I picked bass instead. It's just... I dunno hard to explain it depends on your music taste. Eg I love ska and the majortiy of decent ska songs have awesome bass lines. It really does depend.
"Punk is a state of mind, and no one can take that away from you."
I'd say that, if you want to end up playing both, start with Bass
The way I see it is that it will help build up more finger strength quicker and also help with stretching your fingers
That said, it really is up to you and your preferences
Quote by KenG
If you learn guitar and music theory first you can easily move onto Bass later.
If you learn bass and music theory you can easily move onto guitar later.

Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Guitar gets you laid faster. It's a proven science.

But really... I would say guitar. If you have short fingers like I do (or did... they decided to grow lately) bass is pretty much impossible.
Currently reading:

Crime and Punishment
The Age of Reason
Little Dorrit

"Illegitimis nil carborundum"
Go with your instincts. Whichever appeals more to you from a musical perspective is the one to start with. Have people with similar music tastes play something on guitar and bass and follow your ear.
Choose whatever you like better, simple as that.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Both!
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
neither im thinking about quitting guitar for a month and just learn theory on my piano
Quote by VanTheKraut
it completely depends on your taste, when you listen to your music, what do you rock out to, those hard core solos, or the nice ambient base solos?

i agree with him
I still say guitar first as there's more to learn. Fingerboard has more note positions, there are chords to consider etc. Any decent guitar player can play basic bass (w/ pick) but the reverse is not true.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
I still say guitar first as there's more to learn. Fingerboard has more note positions, there are chords to consider etc. Any decent guitar player can play basic bass (w/ pick) but the reverse is not true.
Oh, because chords are a completely alien idea to bass players

But you're right, any decent guitar player can play bass really badly.
Because no one else seems to be giving a straight answer and telling you to go with the one you want (even though you're asking them) i'll be the brave one

GO WITH GUITAR
Quote by smb
Oh, because chords are a completely alien idea to bass players

But you're right, any decent guitar player can play bass really badly.

I didn't say chords were alien to bass players but use your head, there's two more strings involved so bas chords will not cover all the guitar variations. This is not a contest over which is better. Back when I was playing actively I did sub for bass on occassion as did our band's second guitar player, when required. My younger brother has always played bass. I simply stated basic bass playing is a relatively easy crossover for a guitarist. If you know the chords being played on the rythym guitar, bass notes follow (root). I'm not saying the guitarist will be Stanely Clarke, John Entwistle or Geddy Lee but they'll certainly be able to play. If they can't chances are they are not decent guitarists either.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jun 18, 2008,
Get good at guitar, and learning bass will be a breeze. My friend started playing them both at the same time (but guitar more), and he's really good at both, especially bass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJV8kWdeDDE

He's only been playing for 3 years but he just recently started focusing on bass.
Meh, I'm personally learning guitar first cause I feel that I'll be really dedicated to the music and enjoy the challenge of competing against other guitarists for that final band spot but make your own choice. We can't tell you which one to do.
I'd learn guitar first because if you learn guitar, you basically(lol) learn bass at the same time.
Same instrument tuning, same notes, chords, etc
Quote by KenG

They can play it but not correctly......Their technique would be absolutely terrible and yes the reverse is true, it's the same theory applied to different instruments.

I say go to a guitar store, play both and find which you like more.....I like playing guitar more usually but bass feels more natural for some reason....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
to be honest i think guitar is better because you can show off more, shred, solo, just generally be a big head more :P Lol but then again, there are some pretty awesome bassits around, also, i think more people learn bass because they think its "easier" but in my opinion, its quite abit harder than electric guitar
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar