My friend recently fried his CF-7. I've been trying to figure out what went wrong so I can help him fix it, but I really don't know what I'm doing.

He tried plugging a 9v 2.1A power adaptor (made by Harman Pro, meant for a digitech GNX4) into the pedal, and he said it didn't do anything, but I vaguely remember seeing the pedal turn on for a second and then not work. Then he tried the adaptor with the GNX4 and it didn't work. Then we tried a regular Ibanez adaptor (9v, 200mA) on the pedal and that didn't work either. So it seems like the Harman adaptor and the CF-7 are both dead. The GNX4 still works with other power supplies. When I plug the CF-7 into my pedalboard's power supply, all my other pedals turn off and I get alot of noise coming out of my amp, and when I disconnect it, all the pedals come back on and the noise goes away.

We both though that using an adaptor with that much amperage would be fine as long as the voltage was correct. The pedal is supposed to just take as much power as it needs, right? But we've been having alot of trouble with getting other Harman Pro adaptors to work with other pedals, so we're not even sure why it happened.

Anyway, we opened up the pedal and nothing looked burnt. Between us, we've got something like 4 or 5 multimeters, but we don't really know what we're looking for.

Any help would be appreciated.
erm, you probably ran the current too high, or it could just be a faulty component

check everything is working (which is hard for YOU cos you have bought some crappy digital pedal ) and replace anything that isn't. But like i say with all those IC's in there you'd probably be better getting a new one if nothing works
lol@u
first of all, the CF-7 is an alright pedal so please don't try to make fun of me for it. secondly, it's my friend's and I'm trying to help him fix the thing.

The pedal is not working with either this or the correct power supply. The harman pro power supply is not working with the cf-7 or with the gnx4. The gnx 4 works with other power supplies, and the power supply for the cf-7 works with other pedals. so both the cf-7 and the harman pro are dead.

i think it might be an AC/DC issue, because I noticed that the Harman's output is 9v AC, but the pedal is supposed to take 9v DC. What would that do to the electronics and what would need be replaced? Or how do we use a multimeter to check for things that are fried?
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Was that on purpose?

we didn't have a power supply on hand for regular pedals, just two harman pros, one for the gnx4 at 2.1A one at 1.3 amps. for some reason he wanted to use the cf-7, so he stuck it in the 2.1A one. We had tried the 1.3A one into some other pedals before and it didn't work, but it didn't destroy anything either, so I guess he figured it would be ok.
Quote by cutslikedrugsx
we didn't have a power supply on hand for regular pedals, just two harman pros, one for the gnx4 at 2.1A one at 1.3 amps. for some reason he wanted to use the cf-7, so he stuck it in the 2.1A one. We had tried the 1.3A one into some other pedals before and it didn't work, but it didn't destroy anything either, so I guess he figured it would be ok.

You don't get it, do you?

An "AC/DC issue....?

nevermind..
chill out mate, it was a joke, and anyway i am known for involuntarily succumbing to analog/digital snobbery, i'm sure its an alright pedal
lol@u
If you fed a DC powered pedal AC then its pretty much done. You might end up replacing half the guts in it get it to work again if not all the parts. And its possible when the pedal fried it screwed up the adapter to. So take it as a lesson learned.