Hey guys,

Having a problem with Audacity at the minute. The program itself opens up fine, no problem there. But when I plug in my mic it doesnt recognise it and wont let me record through it.

The mic is cheap and crappy but it definately works (I tried it at a friends last night and it worked fine).

Any ideas on how to hook the mic upto Audacity or to get it recognise it?

Thanks for any help.
Manchester United Est. 1878

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
Anyway, as we were before we were interrupted. :p
~

I had so many line-in problems on vista.

Ok, check if you have a Realtek soundcard. If it is, then I can help you. If not, then I don't really have any idea. (unless of course it's just a simple problem that isn't caused by vista)
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
~

Ok, check if you have a Realtek soundcard. If it is, then I can help you. If not, then I don't really have any idea. (unless of course it's just a simple problem that isn't caused by vista)

Sorry for being so noobish, but, how do I check what type of soundcard I have? This is a pretty standard laptop im using so im guessing I don't have the Realtek soundcard you mentioned.

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
Quote by rabidguitarist
~

I'm having a lot a problems with it too. I do have a realtek soundcard. can you help me out?
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
I've plug in the mic to both the line in and the mic in aswell. It's just acting as if there is nothing plugged into the computer and it wont give me the option of picking a recording method.

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
Quote by screwup30
Sorry for being so noobish, but, how do I check what type of soundcard I have? This is a pretty standard laptop im using so im guessing I don't have the Realtek soundcard you mentioned.

You probably do- it's a really standard card.

You will need to open up your control panel, go into 'hardware and sound', scroll down to 'device manager' and choose 'view hardware and devices'.

it will tell you in the subset 'sound, video and game controllers'.

You can double click on the soundcard, and it will give you options for drivers. I spent ages trying to navigate realtek's site, and I have a few drivers for it, but none of them let me do what I wanted to do with the line in.

~~

This website has drivers that might let you record.

http://www.asio4all.com/

There is only one driver there, for all OSs and soundcards, so just get the most upto date on. When you install it, it doesn't install itself as the driver for your soundcard.

You have to go into the audio settings for the recording program you use, and you need to set the device as 'asio4all' instead of 'microsoft hd audio' or 'realtek hd audio' or whatever the default is.

I don't use audacity, so I don't know if this is possible, but I would assume so. This will sort out line-in recording, loopback and syncronisation problems within that program.

***I can't guarantee this will work though, and my DAW (I use sony acid) took a while to get used to the changes before it started running smoothly.***
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Last edited by rabidguitarist at Jun 18, 2008,
Ahh!

I've tried all that and it's still not letting me record or recognise that the microphone is plugged in! I want to record, this sucks!

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
not sure if you'll be this lucky for this to work but sometimes ill start audacity before i have my mic/interface plugged in and so it wont be an option for an input.
try making sure audacity is closed and having everything plugged in and ready before you open it
Quote by screwup30
Ahh!

I've tried all that and it's still not letting me record or recognise that the microphone is plugged in! I want to record, this sucks!

Get a new DAW, and try recording again.

Audacity is pretty basic, if you get something a bit more professional, you've got more of a chance.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW