so i really want to upgrade my amp and im lookin at getting a tube amp. I hear great thigns about the peavey valveking but I played the Line 6 spidervalve 112 and it honestly blew me away. The only problem is the price. For $ 700 im getting a 40W amp. Is that gonna be loud enough to play with drums. In that price range i can get the peavey 212 valveking (100W) or the marshall half stack (100W but not tube) I am starting to get into playing with others which is why I want a good tone but is it loud enough?
If you're looking at tube amps, you're only going to need like 30 watts to play with drums. 50 is nice to have, 100 would make my ears bleed.
Quote by HeavyMetalHokie
Line 6 spidervalve 112 and it honestly blew me away

It's a lame gimmicky amp.

Quote by HeavyMetalHokie
the marshall half stack (100W but not tube)

Let me guess, an MG?
Out of those three I'd definitely go with the VK.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
get a laney combo
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
I'd definately go used and tube, and like someone above said anything over 30W is loud enough. Anything more is just for clean headroom at higher volumes.

As for which amp to buy. What kind of stuff do you play? We can help you better from there.
i play mostly metal but i do like to jam with others on clean. i really liked the tone of the spider but i just wanted to know if i could get more amp for that money without sacrificing the tone.
Quote by HeavyMetalHokie
i play mostly metal but i do like to jam with others on clean. i really liked the tone of the spider but i just wanted to know if i could get more amp for that money without sacrificing the tone.

Someone is going to slap you, FYI.

There's so much better out there.

Look at this. It's cheaper and PLENTY loud enough:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442
Last edited by TheProducer at Jun 18, 2008,
30 is good for playing live remmeber you will have a mic and speakers with that amp when live

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
Quote by TheProducer
Someone is going to slap you, FYI.

There's so much better out there.

Look at this. It's cheaper and PLENTY loud enough:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442

yeah, have you played the line 6 valve series. their solid state stuff is pretty bad but the tube stuff is awesome. dont be such a dickheaded douche next time. and i know the valveking is cheaper and louder but im looking for TONE idiot.
Quote by HeavyMetalHokie
yeah, have you played the line 6 valve series. their solid state stuff is pretty bad but the tube stuff is awesome. dont be such a dickheaded douche next time. and i know the valveking is cheaper and louder but im looking for TONE idiot.

K buddy, shut up.

Yes I've played them. Yes I've played a Valveking. You think I would've suggested the Valveking if it had worse tone than the Line 6 but it only was cheaper and louder? No. My point is that it's cheaper, a better amp, and has great tone.

I'm sure that many people here would agree. You want to spend more money on a lower wattage, lousier sounding amp, go ahead. Just don't ask for advice next time.

EDIT: And if your set on what you want and you like the Line 6 and don't want to hear about any other choices, why waste everybody's time asking? Just go buy it. Go buy the MG for all I care.
Last edited by TheProducer at Jun 18, 2008,