TheZim
864 IQ
OK so I got the capo on the 2nd fret and I'm playing the chord shapes of C-F-G-G7. The capo always messes me up when I try to figure out keys.
slogankid1
UG Member
199 IQ
depends on the tuning
Quote by elliott FTW
I LOVE YOU SLOGANKID
silly racist bitch finally kicked the bucket

TheZim
864 IQ
is there any trick to finding what key you're in in relation to the capo with as little theory knowledge as possible...i mean i do fine without the capo but as soon as i throw it somewhere its like a lose it.
Pepefloydean
267 IQ
If you tune to E and you add a capo just count. 1 fret is F#, 2 Frets is F, 3 frets is G#, 4 frets is G etc.
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
TheZim
864 IQ
oh nice didnt realize it was that easy...i guess that explains if im playing in C and capo 2nd then I'm in D so if i capo 4 and play the same progession im in E?
Declan87
Bainne
690 IQ
Quote by Pepefloydean
If you tune to E and you add a capo just count. 1 fret is F#, 2 Frets is F, 3 frets is G#, 4 frets is G etc.

no...

1st fret is F, 2nd fret F#, 3rd fret G, 4th G# etc.
Iron_Dude
doesn't like teh br00tlz
74 IQ
Yes, it's really simple. Capo on the fourth fret, C shape is E chord, G shape is B chord, yada yada yada.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Tsunoyukami
543 IQ
Quote by TheZim
oh nice didnt realize it was that easy...i guess that explains if im playing in C and capo 2nd then I'm in D so if i capo 4 and play the same progession im in E?

Yup, you're right. Essentially, it is this simple.

As a side note, I really quite enjoy the use of the capo because it makes songs suit my singing range. Hooray!
TheZim
864 IQ
haha yeah thats where i was going with it party that and i came up with a chord progression but i didnt have a harmonica in that key so i just figured i'd move it around and see if i could get it where i needed it
RCalisto
185 IQ
Quote by Tsunoyukami
Yup, you're right. Essentially, it is this simple.

As a side note, I really quite enjoy the use of the capo because it makes songs suit my singing range. Hooray!

i gotta have a lot more work to do that :P i gotta tune down
bass voice :P although not fully developed yet -.- nowhere near. i can only reach D3