Hi y'all, total noob here.

I've looked throughout the site and online, but couldn't find an answer to this question about my Les Paul Custom.

The serial number 898240 is on the top of the headstock, imprinted and without the Made in the USA stamp. By all accounts, it's a 1968 Kalamazoo model because of these facts.

(However, Gibson DID rerun those numbers in the early 70's, but the lack of the "USA" stamp negates that chance, right?)

ANYWAY...at the end of the serial number is the letter "A" slightly tilted at about a 15 degree angle and slightly lower than the other numbers. So, it reads 898240A.....

I've never been able to find out from any source what this means if anything. Is it great? Is it ****e? Is it going to be make me a better guitar player who is able to evolve past the same blues riff he's been playing for the last 15 years?

Trust me, trying to search in Google for "Gibson serial numbers with the letter A" is fruitless and frustrating at best.

Thanks in advance for any comments and help. Sarcasm is both expected and appreciated.
Quote by maureyrd
Hi y'all, total noob here.

I've looked throughout the site and online, but couldn't find an answer to this question about my Les Paul Custom.

The serial number 898240 is on the top of the headstock, imprinted and without the Made in the USA stamp. By all accounts, it's a 1968 Kalamazoo model because of these facts.

(However, Gibson DID rerun those numbers in the early 70's, but the lack of the "USA" stamp negates that chance, right?)

ANYWAY...at the end of the serial number is the letter "A" slightly tilted at about a 15 degree angle and slightly lower than the other numbers. So, it reads 898240A.....

I've never been able to find out from any source what this means if anything. Is it great? Is it ****e? Is it going to be make me a better guitar player who is able to evolve past the same blues riff he's been playing for the last 15 years?

Trust me, trying to search in Google for "Gibson serial numbers with the letter A" is fruitless and frustrating at best.

Thanks in advance for any comments and help. Sarcasm is both expected and appreciated.

Why don't you read this and try it out? Might work.

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=1770
I might do that, thanks for the suggestion.

I was just wondering if any other players here had experience or knowledge of that extra "A" so I didn't have to go the whole taking pictures route.

Basically, I'm at work and bored without the guitar.
could you post pictures of the guitar when you get home? would love to see it!