|--------------------------------------------------7--8-10------
|-------------------------------------------8-10----------------
|---------------------------------7--9-10-----------------------
|-----------------------7--9-10---------------------------------
|-------------7--8-10-------------------------------------------
|------8-10-----------------------------------------------------

And the others etc...
Or am I totally wrong? Thanks already
Scales are more a collection of notes. That's really just a box shape. Those are useful for learning a scale but after you understand what notes are in it you could try playing the scale all across the fretboard.

If you wanted to play the D major scale you could just move that pattern up 2 frets. You could play the scale all over the fretboard by recognizing the C# and F# and playing in more than just a box.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Ok, thanks. You mean that it's useful to learn how the notes can be improvised, isn't it?
So when I learn all those scales I'm kinda on my way?
take off the 10 at the end. the scale starts and ends on a C.

and anyways, ther are several patterns for the major scale, I think it's 3 or 4. Once you know them, all you have to do is change the starting fret. For example, if you take that pattern you posted and played it down the fretboard 2 frets, it would then be a Bb Major scale. Understand?

Edit: About the improvised notes. It depends on your key and what chord is going on and other things. But always remember that rules are meant to be broken, even in theory. Play what sounds good.
Last edited by HeavenlyVirus at Jun 18, 2008,
to HeavenlyVirus,

It doesn't necessarily HAVE to end on C. It resolves to C but if you end on a different note, you're still playing the C major scale.

Quote by 08L1V10N
Ok, thanks. But some notes can be improvised, can't they?
So when I learn all those scales I'm kinda on my way?

What do you mean by some notes can be improvised?
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
to HeavenlyVirus,

It doesn't necessarily HAVE to end on C. It resolves to C but if you end on a different note, you're still playing the C major scale.

What do you mean by some notes can be improvised?

yea, it doesn't have to, but for the purpose of learning the scales, it should end on the C.
the collection of the positions of the major scale (broken up the right way) are collectively called the "modes" because if you play the G major scale form over an E (the song is in E, or the rhythm player is playing an E) then you're actually playing the E aeolian scale, but it's the same notes as the G major scale.

IT's all very confusing right now, but talk to as many people as you can, and read up on that stuff, and it'll slowly come into focus.

right now I recommend learning all 7 positions of the major scale. that will get you started. You can learn them in any key you would like to.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
Last edited by strat212 at Jun 18, 2008,
Quote by strat212
the collection of the positions of the major scale (however you want to break them up) are collectively called the "modes" because if you play the G major scale form over an E (the song is in E, or the rhythm player is playing an E) then you're actually playing the E aeolian scale, but it's the same notes as the G major scale.

IT's all very confusing right now, but talk to as many people as you can, and read up on that stuff, and it'll slowly come into focus.

right now I recommend learning all 7 positions of the major scale. that will get you started. You can learn them in any key you would like to.

Not really - the modes are a separate musical system that just happens to use the same notes. There's no point bringing them into the equation yet, it just confuses matters.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Apparently I learned the hard way.
I did say that he should just learn all the positions of the major scale though.
and no, I didn't expect him to understand that but it may start him looking.

anyway, through like 8 people's blabberings about major scales and stuff, he should be slightly more interested, if not a very tiny bit more informed on what he should be looking for.

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
Cool, then the forum once again proves it's worth!

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
By positions of the major scale, do you mean to learn every way that you can play the same exact notes but at different places? For example, you can play the whole major scale on the E string like this:

E-8-10-12-13-15-17-19-20

Or you can play the box shape like this:

E------------------------------5-7-8-
B-----------------------5-6-8--------
G---------------4-5-7---------------
D----------5-7-----------------------
A---5-7-8----------------------------
E-8-----------------------------------

Is that what you're talking about?
Quote by jammy jam jam
By positions of the major scale, do you mean to learn every way that you can play the same exact notes but at different places?
Yes, but that's really less important than understanding the theory behind the major scale; that theory allows you to explore exotic scales, modes, etc.
Quote by 08L1V10N
People say it's mandatory too learn 'the major scale'
Does that mean learning all scales like this:

Cmajor

|--------------------------------------------------7--8-10------
|-------------------------------------------8-10----------------
|---------------------------------7--9-10-----------------------
|-----------------------7--9-10---------------------------------
|-------------7--8-10-------------------------------------------
|------8-10-----------------------------------------------------

And the others etc...
Or am I totally wrong? Thanks already

it doesnt mean to learn to play all scales like that. That is the major scale pattern on the guitar. You wouldnt play a minor scale that way, or any other scale.... just the Major.

The reason its "mandatory" to learn the Major scale is because when studying music theory its used as a reference point. Most issues are described as they relate to the Major scale.

So if you plan on studying theory, you really need to learn it. not just how to play it, not just the pattern on the neck, but how its constructed, how it functions and what it sounds like.
shred is gaudy music
Thanks for the info. Is there any site where to learn how it's constructed and such or shall I find out myself?
there's the sticky, "Music Theory FAQ Guide", it's very helpful. if you have any questions after reading it we can help you out.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by 08L1V10N
Thanks for the info. Is there any site where to learn how it's constructed and such or shall I find out myself?

Start by reading the Crusade articles by Josh Urban in the columns section
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by jammy jam jam
By positions of the major scale, do you mean to learn every way that you can play the same exact notes but at different places? For example, you can play the whole major scale on the E string like this:

E-8-10-12-13-15-17-19-20

Or you can play the box shape like this:

E------------------------------5-7-8-
B-----------------------5-6-8--------
G---------------4-5-7---------------
D----------5-7-----------------------
A---5-7-8----------------------------
E-8-----------------------------------

Is that what you're talking about?

Kind of, and people are semi-correcting you on this, but it is important to know that what you have tabbed out there is ONE of the positions of the major scale. That "box" ranges from fret 8 to fret 4. So when talking about the major scale keep in mind that "the major scale" takes up the ENTIRE neck! the reason people break it into positions is because 1. it's easier to learn that way and 2. sometimes knowing where different positions start and end is useful (this is for when you are learning the MODES, which are kind of diffrent from the major scale.

BOTTOM LINE: major scale= the whole neck, not just one position.

by the way, munky is right on it. the whole reason behind learning the major scale isnt to go around and play it but it is VITAL in understanding EVERYTHING in music theory, from building chords to understanding other scales.

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
^i didn't say that in my first post or anything. lol. j/k

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
so to learn the major scale, you would learn all the positions, and all the positions sound exactly the same just played in different shapes?

or are those the shapes and positions are the different ones such as A A# B C C# D D# E F and F#?
To learn the major scale you have to learn how it's built. That really starts with intervals. Then learn the formula to it (WWHWWWH). Then after that you can look into keys. After seeing how keys relate to the major scale, playing it would be good.

There are good lessons on it, i can post them.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
metal4all, you are awesome. and my name is sean too. which makes you extra awesome.

Quote by Gee-tar-eist