Ive been playing for a while but I have recently been trying to use barre chords more frequently because I have been avoiding them. As I was practicing them I found it alot more difficult to play chords closer to the nut, such as an F chord, compared to playing an A chord, which are further away from the nut. Is this natural or is something wrong with my guitar? Also could I please have some recommendations for songs that blend my open chords with my barre chords. Rock and Rock/Pop stuff would be great.

Also I have not learned a single scale at all but I am very confident in playing open chords and can play open chords fairly easy. Is this the right time to start learning a scale or two and if so which ones? And are all scale shapes movable?

My questions again:

1. Should barre chords closer to the nut be harder then barre chords further away from the nut?

2. What are some songs that blend open chords with barre chords?

3. When is it time to learn your first scale and which scales should I learn first?

4. Are all scale shapes movable?

Thanks

Flow.of.soul

Note: I am playing on an acoustic if that makes a difference.
Last edited by Flow of soul at Jun 18, 2008,
1:for me not (can'T speak for all)
3:as soon as you can play all Maj Min and 7th Cords
4 yes of course
1. Should barre chords higher on the fretboard be harder then barre chords lower on the fretboard?
Yes.

2. What are some songs that blend open chords with barre chords?
Layla (Acoustic Version)

3. When is it time to learn your first scale and which scales should I learn first?
Major scales should be learned first I think.. I learned the minor pentatonics first. I don't really thing there is a right or wrong answer to this.

4. Are all scale shapes movable?
I think som but I could be wrong.
When you move the scale shapes you are just getting a different key. In other words yes they are movable. You should learn scales at any time, preferably as soon as possible but there really isn't that much of a hurry. The scale you learn is truly your option but I would recommend the major scale first.

If you mean doing barre chords closer to the nut then yes it should be harder to do them. Although when you are really high it is hard in the fact that you have no room for your fingers. But that just depends on finger size.

Brother by Alice In Chains combines both, or at least the unplugged version does.
Ok thanks for all the replies, and Nacho I changed the language of my post to make it more clear, yes I mean closer to the nut.