I was just wondering, I've been playing guitar off and on for about 2 years. I've been really seriously playing in the past 5 months. So, my question is, what do you think it takes for someone to go from 'beginner' to 'intermediate' and then 'advanced'. I welcome any opinions.
Those are just labels. They hold no real meaning. I'm sure what one person would call advanced is what another would call beginner. It's all just how a person interprets their self.

To me, if you can play a handful of scales and hold a decent vocabulary of chords, then you're average... again though... that's an interpretation.
Currently reading:

Crime and Punishment
The Age of Reason
Little Dorrit

"Illegitimis nil carborundum"
It's kinda like when people say "Oh, you play guitar? Are you good?" You really don't know how to answer. That's always weird. You don't wanna say yes and sound arrogant, and you don't wanna say no, because then people will think you suck.
"When I was a kid I inhaled frequently. That was the point."
It's a hard question to answer because everyone has a different intrepretation of what a begining, intermediate and advanced player is. Secondly, everyone learns at a different rate. We can talk about goals however. First year goals could include, knowing all the basic chords and being able to transistion smoothly between them, starting barre chords, being able to sight read music in first position and maybe a few simple songs. Second year, some theory with pentitonic major and minor scales, some basic improve on those scales and a few songs with strumming and melody. If you can make it through all of that, then you have by my definition achieved intermediate status. Follow that up with three years of advanced technic and scales and you approach advanced. That is my five year plan, I'm finishing up my first year.
There is so much to learn when it comes to guitar and especially music.

Just tell them you're you've been playing for about two years but you're still learning.
Quote by rhettro
It's a hard question to answer because everyone has a different intrepretation of what a begining, intermediate and advanced player is. Secondly, everyone learns at a different rate. We can talk about goals however...

That was well said. I also feel that in these goals, you have to decide, am I going to be a guitarist or musician?

Chris
Quote by --LP--
Those are all great points.
My goal is to be neither a guitarist nor a musician. But an artist.

Then theory will be a must

Chris
Quote by RCShadow
Then theory will be a must

Chris

Some other things you should learn to be a better player are Alternate picking, sweep picking, economy picking, hammer ons and pulloffs, and harmonics though im not sure what harmonics are i can do all these but sweep picking harmonics and a little bit of economy.

Alternate picking is a must. Some people (like me) can learn it in less than a day, and some people it takes months and months. Good luck, I hope its the first for you.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by Polystant
Some other things you should learn to be a better player are Alternate picking, sweep picking, economy picking, hammer ons and pulloffs, and harmonics though im not sure what harmonics are i can do all these but sweep picking harmonics and a little bit of economy.

Alternate picking is a must. Some people (like me) can learn it in less than a day, and some people it takes months and months. Good luck, I hope its the first for you.

Yeah, I can do all those no problem. I need to work on sweep picking a little bit, but everything else I can do pretty well. I found natural harmonics very simple, but right now I'm working on pinch harmonics, and I'm having some difficulty with that.
Quote by Free
There is so much to learn when it comes to guitar and especially music.

Just tell them you're you've been playing for about two years but you're still learning.

To be fair it dosent really matter how long you've been playing guitar, your still going to be learning weather you've been playing 2 years or 42 years... Its one of these things that you cannot know everything... Ie: You cannot know EVERY single song that has ever been made with a guitar in.
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
Quote by --LP--
Yeah, I can do all those no problem. I need to work on sweep picking a little bit, but everything else I can do pretty well. I found natural harmonics very simple, but right now I'm working on pinch harmonics, and I'm having some difficulty with that.

Technically you don't need to work on sweep picking, at least not yet - bear in mind that there's no prizes for ammassing a load of knowledge in the shortest possible time. Obviously learn it if you want, but you shouldn't feel pressured to learn everything "now".

2 years is a short time in guitar terms, the 5 months you've been playing seriously even less so. Make sure you've fully explored all the facets of a technique or concept before you truly class it as something you know, and never, ever shelve anything because you think you've finished with it...you never stop learning or developing and that goes for even the most basic of techniques. You should never think that something is beneath you, or too easy because there's no such thing. Everything you learn on the guitar benefits you in some way, don't be fooled into thinking there's only value in attempting things that you percieve to be "harder".
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by --LP--
Those are all great points.
My goal is to be neither a guitarist nor a musician. But an artist.

Yeah people ask me when I play guitar if I'm any good all the time, I play them a song or a riff or too, then ask them if I'm any good. Dude, if you can play your instrument with some passion, some soul, and get something positive out of it, then you more advanced than half of these tarded musical theory scale mode blah blah blah crap people who think that if you can't tell the different between the major and minor mixes of the lyodian mode in the third bar of the verse, tell them to go hump a goat!
Quote by wannaberocker19
...if you can't tell the different between the major and minor mixes of the lyodian mode in the third bar of the verse, tell them to go hump a goat!

LOL! Thank you, I needed that today. And no, I'm not one of "those"...I'm doing well to just keep-up as it were...no offense intended. Great quote though...love it.

Chris
What did it for me, was having a guitar I really enjoyed playing - and Ibanez RG rather than those awkward Les Pauls - and then I just found a bunch of songs by bands I liked. There were some of those I couldn't nail after 2-3 hours of practice, so I kept practicing those until I could play them. Then I found even more such songs, and repeated all this - and I still do today. Along the way, you'll find yourself getting a gradually better grasp on the guitar without really noticing it as you struggle with the songs you're trying to learn.
I'm a communist. Really.