I've been thinking about buying an Epiphone Dot to play Qotsa songs. But is it the right guitar for this kind of music? If you could say if I should buy it or not or have a sugestion for an other guitar would really great !
Quote by smb
Troy uses an Epiphone Dot on some songs.

Yeah So ive seen, but doesnt josh use it more? I think Troy mostley uses his Yamaha-TVL and some Gibson Les Paul models mostly But whats your opinion about the guitar for such music?
A Les Paul or some kind of hollow-body might work... i think i've seen Josh using some of those.

EDIT: a Gretsch maybe? That might give you that rough distorted sound.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Their amps are the major part of their sound, but for their more recent stuff something like a Dot is good. For their earlier stuff you're better off with a Les Paul or similar.
A Les Paul or some kind of hollow-body might work... i think i've seen Josh using some of those./QUOTE]A Dot is a hollow body....

Anyway, yeah a Dot will be good for it. You'll need to change the pickups though, the stock pickups in Epi Dots are really, really bad. Also consider the Dot Studio, it's exactly the same thing but with a satin ('worn') finish (the neck never gets sticky and is generally faster and easier to play on) and has slightly simplified tone/volume controls.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
A Dot is a hollow body....

Anyway, yeah a Dot will be good for it. You'll need to change the pickups though, the stock pickups in Epi Dots are really, really bad. Also consider the Dot Studio, it's exactly the same thing but with a satin ('worn') finish (the neck never gets sticky and is generally faster and easier to play on) and has slightly simplified tone/volume controls.

I never said it wasn't
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by MrFlibble
Quote by evening_crow
A Les Paul or some kind of hollow-body might work... i think i've seen Josh using some of those.
A Dot is a hollow body....

Actually, it's a semi hollow...

I agree with everything else. The Standard Dot, though, is more versatile than the studio. Everything else you said is spot on.

Also look at the Epi Alleykat, and the Ibanez Artcore guitars, as well as Gretsch. If you want a hollow, the G5122 is your best bet. If you want something a bit smaller, go with the Electromatic Pro Jet. It's chambered, I believe (I've played it a lot, but could never get a definitive answer on whether or not it is.)

What kind of fuzz/distortion do they use?
Hmm... But do you all think a Dot perhapes is the best kind of guitar for Qotsa songs? And should I change the pickups to seymour duncan custom SH-11?
Quote by erdnoS
Hmm... But do you all think a Dot perhapes is the best kind of guitar for Qotsa songs? And should I change the pickups to seymour duncan custom SH-11?

There seems to be a general consesus about that, yeah.

(Although those Ibanez Artcores, and some Gretches are damn nice too )

And remember you'd probably need to go get a pair of humbuckers, not just one
I like the Yamaha Troy model - looks very quirky and alot of professional players seem to be picking up on it recently, including Dave Kushner from Velvet Revolver.
Well, do you think that this guitar dosent work for rock in general?
Hmmm, I really dont have the cash for a Maton Semi:p And the Gretch is great! But its kind of... Expensive:p
Defo get a dot , i have one, my band play queens of the stone age songs all the time, would need to file the nut to fit the gauge 13's for c tuning (you're better off keeping it in c) unless you wanna use it for any songs they play in e

Songs like the sky is fallin', monsters in the parasol, and lotsa stuff off lullabies are good songs to play to play on the guitar i find but songs like a song for the deaf and dead and early stuff is better suited to be played on a les paul or even an eastwood gp if you wanna try nailing josh's tone without having to track an ovation gp or a maton, the tvl would be good too.

i'm not sure if you're allowed to post youtube links on here, im not on here much but if you type in "heavy on the ride" and a song for the dead into youtube you can find a video of my band playing a song for the dead with an eastwood gp, depends what kinda songs you wanna play by them really but it's a good buy =)
1980 Gibson Silverburst Les Paul Custom
Gretsch G5445T Electromatic Double Jet
De Armond MT-75
1978 Aria Pro 2 Les Paul Standard (Lawsuit)

Orange Rockerverb 100 Head
Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Ain't telling you my pedals!
Dude the natural finish Epiphone DOT Studio is going budget as of 7/11/08 for $199.00 @ musicians friend. If it goes down at GC to that price, I'll even pick one up and I don't like DOT Studios at all.
GEAR:

Gretsch 5120 Anniversary Ed.
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Mann 2350CS (Les Paul Copy)
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30w
Line 6 Spider III 15W (Hey, I jam in my living room...)
Hmmm. I allready have a Les Paul, and I've heard the Dot is really flexible when it comes to genres. But dosent 0.12 stringes work as well? I cant wait to buy a Dot!
Quote by Dav23
Dude the natural finish Epiphone DOT Studio is going budget as of 7/11/08 for $199.00 @ musicians friend. If it goes down at GC to that price, I'll even pick one up and I don't like DOT Studios at all.

Well, is the studio as good as the Dot? : S Have to try first to Since 50% of all epiphones suck...
Quote by erdnoS
Well, is the studio as good as the Dot? : S Have to try first to Since 50% of all epiphones suck...

Pretty much all (or at worst, most) of the Epi semi-hollow and hollow bodied guitars are quality instruments. That is where Epiphone really shines, IMO.