Will a distortion pedal increase the distortion on a first act?

My friend has a first act, his dad wont let him get a new amp even though he has $800 saved up... His dad wants him to play old music that his dad likes so were trouble shooting for solutions.
i take it this is a first act amp. if that's what he's playing through, he's probably a beginner and in need of a good practice amp that isn't a first act. go for a roland cube 30x, it will do whatever his dad likes, and then some, and it will do it well at 150-300$, depending on where you get it. if his dad isn't ok with it, then his dad is beiing ridiculous.
The only problem is his dad is a leutenant colonel in the marine core (retired) and wants to control every aspect of his life, and he wont let him get a new amp, or guitar... Hes got the worst guitar ever (Gibson epoch)

AND hes been playing for two years.

Any suggestions?
tell him to get a Boss metal zone (MT-2 me thinks). Its about $90 (me thinks again) and its a versitile, semi cheap, beginner pedal. Then just put the amp on a clean setting and adjust the distortion on the pedal to your liking.
my old man was a lifer in the Air Force - I graduated at 17 and hitched the hell outta there...
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
no too the metal zone. bad pedal. the metal muff is much better, but won't be worth much with that amp. buy a better amp anyway, who cares what the guy thinks. if he gets mad, let him be mad. it's a dumb thing to be mad about.
wait...what does buying a new amp have to do with not playing the music his dad likes?

if he has money saved up, it should be his choice to buy a new amp. i vote for getting a ValveKing 112. it'll shut his dad up + its waaaay better than any first act

edit: here, http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
tell your friend to grow a pair.
his dad would probably respect him more if he could stand up for himself.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by cutslikedrugsx
no too the metal zone. bad pedal. the metal muff is much better, but won't be worth much with that amp. buy a better amp anyway, who cares what the guy thinks. if he gets mad, let him be mad. it's a dumb thing to be mad about.

ok its been awhile since I bought a distortion pedal so I'm a little behind the tech in this department. I agree with the metal muff tho. Although its a tad trebley at times it might help to cut through the muddiness that your buddy's amp and any pedal are going to produce. Bottom line... get a solid amp and tell his dad to eff off
You could have his amp and/or guitar get broken 'by accident' or 'stolen' from his car/school/wherever you kids bring those things nowadays. Hell, you 'steal' his stuff and sell it later for profit that he can put towards new stuff.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite