I wired up a single EMG 81 that I bought without the kit, just the pup. I was wondering if it should make noise of I tap it or shout into it, provided I have it hooked up to a battery and plugged in.
What the hell?

Do you even have it in your guitar?

It picks-up vibrations in the strings, based on the principles of electromagnetic induction. It's not a microphone, so shouting into it will do nothing.

Edit: Read here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday's_law_of_induction

As it vibrates, the string cuts through the flux of the magnet in the pickup, which causes a current to be inducted in the coils.
Quote by -MintSauce-
What the hell?

Do you even have it in your guitar?

It picks-up vibrations in the strings, based on the principles of electromagnetic induction. It's not a microphone, so shouting into it will do nothing.

Edit: Read here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday's_law_of_induction

As it vibrates, the string cuts through the flux of the magnet in the pickup, which causes a current to be inducted in the coils.

lol yeah it will!!!

Any hot pickups, passive or active, will amplify your voice if it has enough gain and you shout loud enough and close enough.

I've done it.

Also, if you put ur cell phone next to it it'll amplify it as well... same thing if u put it near other speakers... also, it'll make a noise if ur in front of a tv and change the channel.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by evening_crow
lol yeah it will!!!

Any hot pickups, passive or active, will amplify your voice if it has enough gain and you shout loud enough and close enough.

I've done it.

Also, if you put ur cell phone next to it it'll amplify it as well... same thing if u put it near other speakers... also, it'll make a noise if ur in front of a tv and change the channel.

If they're in your guitar, they'll be picking up microvibrations of the strings, as a result of your shouting.

Christ, are people actually this stupid?

It makes noise near a TV or PC because of electromagnetic interference.
ahaha Mint do you do A level physics? I just spent half a year learning about magnets and induction etc etc

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I just wanted to know if I could test it without stringing it up, since I bought just the pup, older style that has the wires coming sraight out of the pup, and wired it up arcording to the diagram on EMGINC.com. The only reason I mentioned shouting was because I had heard some band did it on an album, and I was trying to avoid stringing it up to test. that was probably a mistake.
Quote by Absent Mind
ahaha Mint do you do A level physics? I just spent half a year learning about magnets and induction etc etc

Well.. I do have an A-level in physics, now that you mention it

Physics FTW

(Except medicine > physics)

Quote by SVStee
I just wanted to know if I could test it without stringing it up, since I bought just the pup, older style that has the wires coming sraight out of the pup, and wired it up arcording to the diagram on EMGINC.com. The only reason I mentioned shouting was because I had heard some band did it on an album, and I was trying to avoid stringing it up to test. that was probably a mistake.

You can test it with a multimeter, with the 9v battery attached. That'll just give an indication as to whether or not everything's connected correctly inside the pickup. It won't tell you if the magnet is degaussed or anything.

Just string the thing up, and plug it into a tuner. That's easier than messing around with a multimeter.
Christ your nearly 23? I though you were my age lol

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by -MintSauce-
If they're in your guitar, they'll be picking up microvibrations of the strings, as a result of your shouting.

Christ, are people actually this stupid?

It makes noise near a TV or PC because of electromagnetic interference.

First of all, the TS never mentioned the pickup not being in his guitar. Second, some ppl aren't aware of this being normal and attribute it to being a wiring problem.

None of my guitars make any noise near computers though.

If TS is trying to find out if everything's wired properly and that it's working he should just tap the coils (or cap covering the pickups in this case) with a small magnet. Magnetized screw drivers work just fine.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by evening_crow
First of all, the TS never mentioned the pickup not being in his guitar. Second, some ppl aren't aware of this being normal and attribute it to being a wiring problem.

None of my guitars make any noise near computers though.

If TS is trying to find out if everything's wired properly and that it's working he should just tap the coils (or cap covering the pickups in this case) with a small magnet. Magnetized screw drivers work just fine.

If it was in his guitar, wired- and string-up, why would he need a new method to test it, apart from picking the strings?

Take a look at the Wiki link I posted, covering Faraday's law of induction. It's pretty informative.

Anyway..
Ok, I'll try the screwdriver. Mint sauce, just to know, how would you use the multimeter in this situation?
Quote by SVStee
Ok, I'll try the screwdriver. Mint sauce, just to know, how would you use the multimeter in this situation?

Set it up to measure resistance, then just touch one probe to the hot, and the second to the braiding and battery -ve together. It should register a resistance of a few thousand Ohms.
Cool, I checked with the meter, I was in the normal range, so I but it on the guitar and strung up the low E. The pup only works when the cable is half in! I found this on the EMG site.

My pickups do not work unless the cord is plugged halfway in. Did I wire them wrong?
Probably not, but you should check the orientation on the Quick-Connect cables. You may have the connectors on upside down.

But I did not use the quick connect cables. I think I just change the two wires on the input jack, yes?
Quote by SVStee
Cool, I checked with the meter, I was in the normal range, so I but it on the guitar and strung up the low E. The pup only works when the cable is half in! I found this on the EMG site.

My pickups do not work unless the cord is plugged halfway in. Did I wire them wrong?
Probably not, but you should check the orientation on the Quick-Connect cables. You may have the connectors on upside down.

But I did not use the quick connect cables. I think I just change the two wires on the input jack, yes?

Sounds like you've wired the jack wrong.

The EMGs usually come with a stereo jack socket, to allow the battery negative to connect to the third terminal, which breaks the battery connection when the jack is taken out.. stopping battery drain whilst it's not plugged in.

Now, your guitar probably has a mono jack already, especially as you've mentioned 'two wires'. You should actually have three wires going to the jack still - the lead from the pots (hot), the ground, and the battery negative. The HOT goes to the tip, then the ground AND battery negative go to the sleeve together.

Edit: If you're not sure where the tip and sleeve connectors are, have a look at this:

The sleeve is usually the outermost connector, then the tip is closest to the thread and nuts.
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Jun 18, 2008,
OK, All is well. I needed to switch the -9v with one of the wires coming off the pot. It works fine now, I just need to string up the guitar.