I've been playing acoustic for a little over 6 months now and I'm planning on jamming with some friends and getting an electric.. I don't wanna be amazing on the electric but I'd like to play rhythm when we all get together.. I was wondering how big a gap is there between acoustic and electric and some things I need to keep in mind? I've been trying to get the hang of power chords because I never really played them much on the acoustic - is there anything else I need to be aware of?

Also does anyone have any tips or suggestions on using a pick, because I never really used a pick much on the acoustic?
Last edited by kursewerd at Jun 18, 2008,
I actually started on acoustic and then later switched to electric (about 5 years ago). I thought it was very easy to make the switch, because electric guitars are generally much easier to play than acoustics. That being said, you have to pay much closer attention to your style and technique with electric, because every little thing you do comes through loud and clear.
"Sleep with one eye open,
Gripping your pillow tight"

Metallica - "Enter Sandman"
Here's how I learned to hold a pick.
Make a fist.
Put your thumb on the side and loosen you hand.
Put the pick right under your thumb.

If you grip it like that, you should be ok. As far as the learning curve, electric should actually be a little easier on you, imho
CURRENT RIG:
Gibson SG Special Faded 3PU w/ SD pups
Epi LP Special II
Mesa/Boogie Maverick 2x12 combo
Ernie Ball Wah
Blackout Effectors Fix'd Fuzz V3 Dlx
Fulltone ChoralFlange
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by i8ababy
I actually started on acoustic and then later switched to electric (about 5 years ago). I thought it was very easy to make the switch, because electric guitars are generally much easier to play than acoustics. That being said, you have to pay much closer attention to your style and technique with electric, because every little thing you do comes through loud and clear.

+1
put your pick in the middle of two of your fingers while making your hand into a fist (i suggest starting with your thumb and pointer finger) OK hard parts over now strum all strings then put it in the middle of you pointer and middle finger and strum all strings keep repeating this for the rest of your fingers, maybe switch it up with your thumb and middle finger, find the best one for you that feels the best and stick with it.
NOW YOU'RE READY TO ROCK
Electric necks are typically narrower than acouctic. So finger placement is a little different. You may have the tendancy to overshoot the lower strings. A day's worth of playing an electric is about all your brain needs to become familiar.
I made the switch after about 6 months, I'd been practicing mainly electric songs on my acoustic anyway so the songs i struggled at on it i totally rocked on the moment i picked up my first electric!
Quote by sheri234
why dont you get an electrico acoustic..best of both worlds

you cant play badass metal with that.

going from acoustic to electric is easy, electric is a lot smaller though a lot heaver, after you get used to the electrics weight you can lift your acoustic with one finger.

do what i did, learn everything supposed to be on electric but on acoustic, it will help you a lot, like when i learnt sweet child o mines riff on a classical guitar is was easy as heck on electric.
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
I switched from acoustic to Electric about 2 years ago. The neck is a lot slimmer, the frets are a lot closer and the barring really helps out a lot. I agree with Akm_202, Sweet Child of Mine riff was easy after the acoustic. So you don't have to worry much because you'll pick it up pretty good once you have experience with a guitar.
start off alternating with ur pick and get it out of the way i have been playing for almost a year and i just start like 3 months ago and its hard to keep doing it