Page 1 of 4
All right, Musician Talk regulars: here is your chance to give us feedback.

This thread is for any suggestions you have to improve the quality of our forum, whether we need new threads, new stickies, different moderating style, etc. I’ve come up with a list of topics that (in my opinion) should be addressed, so please discuss these! However, if you have a suggestion of your own, please be sure to bring it up. Here are some of the topics that John and I feel should be discussed:

Stickies:
- FAQ: This version of the FAQ has been around for a while, and probably needs updating. As regulars, can you think of any changes it needs? Is the FAQ helpful for people, or could it be improved?

- Should any new “Only” threads be created? These can help reduce clutter around the forum from redundant topics. However, newer users don’t always use these threads, and I prefer to not have too much stuff stickied. Are there any topics that create enough demand to require an “only” thread?

- The “Who to Listen To” thread/Chat Thread. We all know that it has gone far beyond its original intent, and is now essentially a chat thread. Do we want a Chat Thread? Is the “Who to Listen To” thread helpful at all, and does it require its own thread, or could it be combined with, say, the FAQ? This thread is getting replaced, and there are three options: add a new WTLT thread and no chat, add a new WTLT thread and brand new chat thread, or add a new chat thread and remove the WTLT thread. Which option is best and why?

- Stickies in Bandleading and Advanced Techniques: any issues? I’ve already learned that Advanced Techniques needs a sweeping sticky; would any other stickies in these forums be helpful?

Those are the more housekeeping-oriented suggestions. Now, let’s move on to the fun stuff!

Collaborative Efforts:
fun things that bring MT together.
- In-quiz-itions: For those of you who don’t remember, these were quizzes designed by MT users, designed to help the forum users learn things about theory and test their knowledge. Here are some examples: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2925051

Would we like to go back to these? If anyone is interested in writing a quiz, I’ll be more than happy to post it, or review the quiz beforehand. If there is enough interest, we could even get a signup thread going!

- Comp/progression threads: These were threads where people were given chords, and they recorded their backing tracks and jamming. Here’s an example: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=594678&highlight=comp

I believe blues was going to organize a new one. However, I’m throwing the idea out there in case others want to come up with ideas. It’s best if we only have one of these at a time, so if there’s enough interest, again, signup sheet would be helpful.

- Jams: Hopefully everyone knows about the jams. The most recent one got a lot of participants, and the users are great about organizing these things, so we should be all set with these?

- Place to critique compositions: ok, this is a biggie for me. Yes, we have the recordings forum, but (no offense to that forum) I feel like the responses there aren’t what everyone always wants. I’m proposing that we do something like a thread, or maybe even a group on UG Profiles where people can get some serious, theoretically-minded criticism on their compositions. Obviously, comments would have to be constructive, but I’d love to have a place where I know that people aren’t afraid to tell me what I’m doing wrong. What are your thoughts on this?

- Standard of the Month: One valiant user analyzes a jazz standard, and posts their analysis for the benefit of the forum. (We could try things other than jazz, though, if you really wanted). Here are some examples: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2966290

Basically, if you write it, I'll sticky it!

- Last, should we have a sticky dedicated to all of these collaborative efforts?

Finally, on a serious note: the general atmosphere of MT. The past few days have been pretty tense around here, and I feel that this sort of thing ultimately comes from the moderating of the forum. What do we (the mods) need to do to improve the MT experience? I think that we need to cut the new guys some slack, and maybe get a little bit tougher on the vets. There will always be more mode threads than there have to be, and unless someone is being rude, we just need to point them in the right direction.

I’m asking for an effort from everyone to make this a more welcoming place. In return, the mods will make an effort to do our part, just suggest what our team needs to do to improve.

-psych
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Yay, new one.

I'd say we get rid of the WTLT and just have a chat thread. Is a retard box and a box of intelligent users THAT necessary? It's really for feeding egos.

I think a more comp threads would be cool.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Jun 18, 2008,
Quote by psychodelia

YAY! (maybe I'm a little overenthusiastic)

This thread is for any suggestions you have to improve the quality of our forum, whether we need new threads, new stickies, different moderating style, etc. I’ve come up with a list of topics that (in my opinion) should be addressed, so please discuss these! However, if you have a suggestion of your own, please be sure to bring it up. Here are some of the topics that John and I feel should be discussed:

I'll let you know if I have any, bur none off the top of my head.

Stickies:
- FAQ: This version of the FAQ has been around for a while, and probably needs updating. As regulars, can you think of any changes it needs? Is the FAQ helpful for people, or could it be improved?

I think the biggest problem is that too many people ignore it and then post questions that would easily be answered by them reading it. However, I don't really know how to make people read it.

- Should any new “Only” threads be created? These can help reduce clutter around the forum from redundant topics. However, newer users don’t always use these threads, and I prefer to not have too much stuff stickied. Are there any topics that create enough demand to require an “only” thread?

I can't really think of any Only threads that should be made...

- The “Who to Listen To” thread/Chat Thread. We all know that it has gone far beyond its original intent, and is now essentially a chat thread. Do we want a Chat Thread? Is the “Who to Listen To” thread helpful at all, and does it require its own thread, or could it be combined with, say, the FAQ? This thread is getting replaced, and there are three options: add a new WTLT thread and no chat, add a new WTLT thread and brand new chat thread, or add a new chat thread and remove the WTLT thread. Which option is best and why?

I feel like the Who to Listen To list should go in the FAQ, and there should be a separate chat thread. The WTLT doesn't really need it's own thread, and I don't see the main point of it getting read any more as it is than if it were in the FAQ. However, I do think a Chat thread should remain.

- Stickies in Bandleading and Advanced Techniques: any issues? I’ve already learned that Advanced Techniques needs a sweeping sticky; would any other stickies in these forums be helpful?

DEFINITELY AT needs a sweeping sticky. Maybe though it should have a general FAQ like the MT has that covers each of the main techniques discussed in there (Sweeping, Tapping, Legato, Alt/Economy Picking, you get the idea). I'd be happy to help write that, or just the sweeping one if anyone is interested.

Those are the more housekeeping-oriented suggestions. Now, let’s move on to the fun stuff!

Collaborative Efforts:
- In-quiz-itions: For those of you who don’t remember, these were quizzes designed by MT users, designed to help the forum users learn things about theory and test their knowledge. Here are some examples: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2925051

Would we like to go back to these? If anyone is interested in writing a quiz, I’ll be more than happy to post it, or review the quiz beforehand. If there is enough interest, we could even get a signup thread going!

I...Want...I wasn't here for those, but it sounds fun.

- Comp/progression threads: These were threads where people were given chords, and they recorded their backing tracks and jamming. Here’s an example: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=594678&highlight=comp

I believe blues was going to organize a new one. However, I’m throwing the idea out there in case others want to come up with ideas. It’s best if we only have one of these at a time, so if there’s enough interest, again, signup sheet would be helpful.

- Jams: Hopefully everyone knows about the jams. The most recent one got a lot of participants, and the users are great about organizing these things, so we should be all set with these?

All that sounds fine.

- Place to critique compositions: ok, this is a biggie for me. Yes, we have the recordings forum, but (no offense to that forum) I feel like the responses there aren’t what everyone always wants. I’m proposing that we do something like a thread, or maybe even a group on UG Profiles where people can get some serious, theoretically-minded criticism on their compositions. Obviously, comments would have to be constructive, but I’d love to have a place where I know that people aren’t afraid to tell me what I’m doing wrong. What are your thoughts on this?

Sounds nice. More of a "How about instead of this you do that because of ___" instead of I liked X but not Y kind of thing?

- Standard of the Month: One valiant user analyzes a jazz standard, and posts their analysis for the benefit of the forum. (We could try things other than jazz, though, if you really wanted). Here are some examples: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2966290

That seems like it would be fun, especially if you expanded to include other genres.

O RLY? Seriously though, don't be TOO lenient with what you sticky.

- Last, should we have a sticky dedicated to all of these collaborative efforts?
Perhaps make a new sticky that is the "Useful thread sticky" which has links to these and other useful threads, kind of like at the bottom of the FAQ.

Finally, on a serious note: the general atmosphere of MT. The past few days have been pretty tense around here, and I feel that this sort of thing ultimately comes from the moderating of the forum. What do we (the mods) need to do to improve the MT experience? I think that we need to cut the new guys some slack, and maybe get a little bit tougher on the vets. There will always be more mode threads than there have to be, and unless someone is being rude, we just need to point them in the right direction.

I’m asking for an effort from everyone to make this a more welcoming place. In return, the mods will make an effort to do our part, just suggest what our team needs to do to improve.

-psych

I think the tension really wasn't the Mods' fault. It was more user-generated if you ask me. However, maybe people should have been warned earlier to try to keep it from getting out of hand. I still think though that blame lies more on some of the forum members more than the mods.
i vote for the place to crit compositions, i like hearing people voice their opinions on my stuff personally and although i like to think it's good stuff i rarely hear much critiquing and i would like to hear that as much as compliments. keeps me grounded y'know, also it can give new and interesting ideas and twists so i could keep incorporating different stuff and other peoples ideas whom i share an interest in.
The who to listen to list serves no purpose and could go, but it's got a a fair bit of nostalgia/sentimental value. I vote for a new WTLT/chat thread.

The sticky is a dog for learning the basics. I think the simplest way to greatly improve it is to put a link to 'Learning Music Theory: The Beginning' or the 'Crusades' articles at the start. But it is a great resource if you already know the basics. I think it should be continually added to as great new threads are made. Also I think FAQ is a bit of a misnomer. Maybe we could rename it 'Music Theory Resources' or 'Musician Talk Resources'.

I'm really keen for more jams, and I want to have a go at a comp/chord progression thing.

The quizzes, critiquing, and standards aren't really my cup of tea and I probably won't participate in them, but knock yourself out.

And all of us should treat everyone with respect, the way you would treat them face to face. Flaming, name-calling, swearing, telling people to shut-up, rudeness etc is not necessary and should earn a warning.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by psychodelia

Stickies:
I definately agree that FAQ is not the best name for it, it gives the impression it is forum rules.... to me anyway. I think whenever there is a new thread by Corwin, it should be linked to in there
- Should any new “Only” threads be created? These can help reduce clutter around the forum from redundant topics.?
I think an only modes thread would be useful.
- The “Who to Listen To” thread/Chat Thread. ?I don't think there should be a list, not because i am not on it, just because forums should be a place for everybody and anybody to have their opinions... perhaps this contributes to the elite groups... I personally do like the chat thread aspect, because if i have a query i usually ask in there because i know it will be read by certain people.

Collaborative Efforts:
- In-quiz-itions: the quizzes definately helped me learn theory.

- Comp/progression threads: These were threads where people were given chords, and they recorded their backing tracks and jamming. anything that involves developing my playing and hearing other peoples is a must in my eyes

- Jams: Hopefully everyone knows about the jams. The most recent one got a lot of participants, and the users are great about organizing these things, so we should be all set with these?Roll on Jam6 is all i can say. Also, how did we miss the chance of calling Jam 5 - The Dominant One ???

- Place to critique compositions: ok, this is a biggie for me. Yes, we have the recordings forum, but (no offense to that forum) I feel like the responses there aren’t what everyone always wants. I’m proposing that we do something like a thread, or maybe even a group on UG Profiles where people can get some serious, theoretically-minded criticism on their compositions. Obviously, comments would have to be constructive, but I’d love to have a place where I know that people aren’t afraid to tell me what I’m doing wrong. What are your thoughts on this?I think the UG profiles are an awesome idea, anywhere we can promote listening to each others ideas MUST BE DONE!

- Standard of the Month: One valiant user analyzes a jazz standard, and posts their analysis for the benefit of the forum. Would very much improve my playing

A sticky may be a good way to keep track of everything.... with the current Jam/composition/quiz/standard etc being discussed at any one time.

Stickies:

Not really... Maybe word somethings different so younger users can understand the terminology. Not much else I can think of though.

To be honest, I HATE "only" threads. Especially if they're not stickied.

Maybe we could utalize the UG chatroom and make a Music Theory room? I've been frequenting the chat for over 5 years. It's a pretty solid place. As for the thread, I think it should remain on-topic. I never got involved in the threads "chats" for that reason.

Don't really frequent band leading or AT... Probably could use some more direction though. I've seen some pretty basic questions asked in AT before.

Collaborative Efforts:

Yeah, these would be fun. Never partook in any myself but now that I'm older, I wouldn't mind taking a few quizzes!

If I get time in the future I may be interested in doing something like this, or at least helping facilitate it. Maybe even record the jam. If nothing else, I'd at least want to participate in jams. Granted, I have the time.

Yes

The recording forum isn't always serious as most people are just C4C'ing there. If there was an organized and neat way to submit your comps on standard notation (Or tab ... eww.. I guess..) That might work.

YES!

I think people just need to crack jokes now and than really... Theory is seen as a "law" around here when really, it's just a THEORY. There are many ways to interpret it and people need to recognize it. Stop getting frustrated and stop judging people by their join date. Thanks for this thread psych!

-psych

All in all, some good ideas in this thread. I'm curious to see how it plays out.
█████████████████████████████████████████████
Portugal. The Man »–
I like the all of those collaborative efforts ideas, I would definitely try to stay involved with those things, and they would be some nice learning experiences.

So, I vote yes.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
What about "The only recommend me a scale thread"? I'm not the only one here who's noticed the abundance of threads called "what scale should i use for X type of music" so why not bunch them all together in one place? The first post could contain all the usual info that regulars post in those threads (about scales not having moods and phrasing, rhythm and note choice being more important etc.) and from there people would be encouraged to ask about whatever they want and give recommendations about scales and how to use them effectively to achieve the desired effect. Good idea? Bad idea? What do you guys think?

The who to listen to list is pretty much irrelevant. I know a lot of you guys use it as a chat thread but isn't there a group for MT regulars where we can go and chat? Maybe people could use that instead of a chat thread.

A place to crit compositions would be awesome! It's something that could help everyone out from noobs to theory gurus to tech-freaks.

One thing that really annoys me is when the more knowledgeable users post replies flaming someone for being wrong and then don't explain to them why they're wrong. I think that's where a lot of the arguments in here come from. I don't know what I want you to do about it though...
Last edited by Eirien at Jun 19, 2008,
^I dont really like the what scale should I use idea. My view on scales is that the only usefull ones are the minor and major scales (and their modes of course, if you consider modes scales.)
Quote by psychodelia
Stickies:
The FAQ sticky shouldnt be a cheap way out of a boring question. Yes its fun and easy to RTFS people, but I dont think it helps. I think the sticky should just be a reference point, as in WE (anyone answering a question) look at the sticky and say, okay this is what I've got to tell these. Maybe we could use the sticky as a repost repository?
I also think it needs a massive rewrite. It should be written by us with the theory knowledge we agree with at the moment. Whats agreed upon in terms of theory changes, 600 years ago non modal music was seen as weird . I dont agree with most of whats in the FAQ

I dont think we need a modes sticky. I like modal discussions, and as long as newer users listen to the people knowledgable on modes (mentioning names would cause the person whom I have in mind to explode with an overinflated ego), I dont mind.

I liked the quizes. Sure I didnt do too well, but I liked them. +1 for quizes. I'm not really up for writing one though, sorry

I wish I could participate, but my recording equipment sucks. Listen to it, I swear to god I'm not that bad IRL.

+1. Alot of the stuff I write is just for personal fun, like trying out new concepts (I might make a thread on my latest concept later). It's not really entertainment peices (although I can write that stuff). I wouldnt mind hearing what the other MT'ers would say about a couple of them.

I'm in. I'll even help out if you want. But my explainations/analyses can get sort of confusing...
I dunno, can I have a trial run?

Finally, on a serious note: the general atmosphere of MT. The past few days have been pretty tense around here, and I feel that this sort of thing ultimately comes from the moderating of the forum. What do we (the mods) need to do to improve the MT experience? I think that we need to cut the new guys some slack, and maybe get a little bit tougher on the vets. There will always be more mode threads than there have to be, and unless someone is being rude, we just need to point them in the right directionIt's not yours or johns fault. I think MT has become 2 things at ultimate-guitar.
It's seems to have become the miscellaneous of ultimate-guitar, here we get threads from strings to new bands coming out to FX pedals and tone. It would be nice to say, ban all those n00bs and enforce chemo on MT (/b/ anyone?), but that wouldn't help anything. It would just contribute to another problem...
MT has become the elitist centre of Ultimate-guitar. Alot of people here refuse to accept anyone elses ideas and will act pretensiously. I admit, I'm not innocent of this.
I'm sorry, but I have absolutly no idea's on how to fix these problems.
Last edited by demonofthenight at Jun 19, 2008,
Quote by demonofthenight
^I dont really like the what scale should I use idea. My view on scales is that the only usefull ones are the minor and major scales (and their modes of course, if you consider modes scales.)

I totally agree but people should be able to ask for suggestions without pissing people off with their clutter.
Quote by demonofthenight
think MT has become 2 things at ultimate-guitar.
It's seems to have become the miscellaneous of ultimate-guitar, here we get threads from strings to new bands coming out to FX pedals and tone. It would be nice to say, ban all those n00bs and enforce chemo on MT (/b/ anyone?), but that wouldn't help anything.

Anyone find that the forum title--Musician Talk--is a little misleading? Somehow I think People are more likely to read the title than the description.
Quote by TheShred201
Anyone find that the forum title--Musician Talk--is a little misleading? Somehow I think People are more likely to read the title than the description.

Yeah... I kind of agree with this. Might be better if it said Music Theory or something like that... There's already amplifier/guitar/effects forums so... really Music Theory doesn't cover technique but, we still get questions about it here. I don't know heh, just throwing around ideas.
Portugal. The Man »–
Unfortunately, I'm as lost as you guys when it comes to the title.

We cover a lot of stuff in here, so the "Music Theory" title, while appropriate to a lot of what we do, wouldn't cover everything, particularly our two subforums. While it's a bit vague, I think it's the best we can come up with.

Demon/Shred: regarding Standard of the Months. I forgot to mention that, before I sticky stuff, there is some quality control. If anyone writes a SOTM, they can send it to me or John first (John is the jazz guy, so he's probably best for this sort of thing, but I can take it if he's too busy). We can offer comments and suggestions, and if everything is all set we can let you post it and we'll sticky the thread.

Thank you all for your comments, keep them coming if you've got them!
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
I think renaming this forum is a case of the tail wagging the dog.

Musician Talk is a place for musicians to discuss music.... right? Then this is our start point to consider what can be done to make things better.

If the forum gets renamed i will eat my hat.
Psychodelia, PLEASE RENAME THE FORUM!!! I want vids of branny eating his hat. Just kidding.
For the SOTM, I'd have to see someone else doing one or two before I did it.

But yes, the title problem does arise since a lot is covered in here and it's subforums. Music Theory/Technique/Bandleading just doesn't seem like a great Overall title, so for now I suppose Musician talk is the best I can think of. If I think of some all inclusive term for it, I'll let you know.
I would love to have a standard of the month, although I'm nowhere near competent enough with my jazz playing to help out with it.

And I do think that the forum should be renamed, but I'm at a loss as to what it should be called.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Quote by psychodelia
Finally, on a serious note: the general atmosphere of MT. The past few days have been pretty tense around here, and I feel that this sort of thing ultimately comes from the moderating of the forum. What do we (the mods) need to do to improve the MT experience? I think that we need to cut the new guys some slack, and maybe get a little bit tougher on the vets. There will always be more mode threads than there have to be, and unless someone is being rude, we just need to point them in the right direction.-psych

Personally, I've watched this forum for a year, and every time I see someone say something wrong, the forum vets jump down their throat as if they had raped their mother.

I truly believe that this should be a more welcoming, learning atmosphere, but people can't learn if you tell them that they are doing it wrong and are stupid. I know some will complain that the noobs are getting pushier, but every thread I see, the regulars are all very, very pushy and confrontational, and are usually the ones who pick fights with less educated users.

And no I'm not someone who's been slighted and out to get the MT vets, as I've said I've watched this forum become more and more unwelcoming over the past year. Unfortunately, I have really no suggestions apart from "be more tolerant and less confrontational."

EDIT:
It's not yours or johns fault. I think MT has become 2 things at ultimate-guitar.
It's seems to have become the miscellaneous of ultimate-guitar, here we get threads from strings to new bands coming out to FX pedals and tone. It would be nice to say, ban all those n00bs and enforce chemo on MT (/b/ anyone?), but that wouldn't help anything. It would just contribute to another problem...
MT has become the elitist centre of Ultimate-guitar. Alot of people here refuse to accept anyone elses ideas and will act pretensiously. I admit, I'm not innocent of this.
I'm sorry, but I have absolutly no idea's on how to fix these problems.

demon has similar views, and fair enough a lot of the miscellaneous gets thrown in here, FX pedals and strings, but those do have forums. I believe that this forum should abandon the moniker of "guitar," because guitar related questions can all be handled in the different forums.

This should be just "music," possibly if someone has a harmonica problem (not trying to learn how to play blues harp, that would be in Blues/Jazz, wouldn't it?), and if a member doesn't quite understand what you're telling them, or doesn't want to, just walk away and don't talk to him anymore because he obviously has shown he doesn't want to learn.

I sense hate and vindication in the MT forum, and it is not good.
Last edited by st.stephen at Jun 19, 2008,
I don't really have any issues about the administration of the forum except maybe that the FAQ definitely should be updated or made simpler. MAYBE an "Only Modes Thread" but I could see that becoming like the "Only Religion Thread" in the pit...

I'll start working on a Donna Lee SOTM. May not be up to standards and thus never see the light of day but I'm sure I'll learn something from it.
This place is missing one thing...me. >_>
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
For many reasons listed above I believe the WTLT thread is essential, I also don't believe a chat thread is in any way useful or helpful, especially as it is basically saying 'this thread isn't really serious.'

It's been touched on already that a lot of users jump down people's throats whenever they're wrong. I've had people who've posted here basically make a complete mockery of me just because I had a definition wrong or learned something slightly differently so that my context was a little mixed up. However, there are some constantly reliable users here who have steered my knowledge regardless of how stupid I know I sometimes sound. In truth it's the only way to learn.

I think a 'suggest me a scale' thread would be ridiculous. Yes it would be full of people requesting scales, but it would also be full of the same type of answer, e.g:

'The scale doesn't make it metal.'

'There's no prog scale.'

'G does not sound optimistic, it's the context you use it in that makes that sound and the phrasing around it.'

I think a thread on soloing in the advanced techniques thread is important. This should cover sweeps, bends, legato, staccato, vibrato, harmonics, slides, appregios and, most importantly, phrasing. After all, the most advanced techniques, in my experience, tend to be used in solos and far too often we recieve threads about them. You don't often hear people sweeping appregios during a verse in my experience.

I also believe the title is absolutely perfect. This is not the area for people who got hold of a guitar and want to be a 'guitarist.' This is an area for people who want to make music, regardless of instrument, genre or ability. We encompass that here. I've learned a lot of theory here just by reading threads. It was a while before I had the confidence to post at all, and when I did I was mostly wrong, but I'm getting there now.

I think a few things need work, but otherwise we have a great place here and I'd like to see it continue in the same style. Collaborative efforts would be welcome, though with my lack of funds and recording equipment I couldn't really get involved. Critical analysis of people's work would also be welcome. A lot of people here could literally suggest one note to add to one chord that would make a composition far better, but for this reason I think we'd need a dedicated panel of people, with this fact included in their signatures and the thread itself. I know people would abuse it, while some people would not. Again, the WTLT thread would be helpful in this endeavour. It also means however that anybody can make suggestions and, if done in a positive way, people are likely to test it out for themselves regardless of if their name is on the list. If done negatively people are capable of just ignoring it completely.

Well that's my opinion. I'll keep my eye on this thread, any way I can help at all kindly let me know.
Quote by VR2005
This place is missing one thing...me. >_>

Well Id say that 1/4 of what we are missing is you. The other 3/4 has got to be elven.

Now as for improvements, Im all for the interactive things such as comp threads and all that jazz.

As for the WSILT, its so old and has been around forever. Like on guy said above me (forget who it is), it has this nostalgia about it. And ya, I know its a chat thread, but I dont think it should be labeled as a chat thread. It would just increase the spam that goes on in there.

Also, get more mods. Danny here has been a CC for a while and is a good candidate for modship because he is on lots and already knows about all the secret mod stuff. It would help keep this forum cleaner.

You guys are also talking a name change, but I think we had a big thing about that a year ago or so and it never worked out. Like psych said, there are 2 subforums that are also in here. Unless we ship advanced techniques into electric guitar and bandleading into something else, we will never change the name.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by justin_fraser
Also, get more mods. Danny here has been a CC for a while and is a good candidate for modship because he is on lots and already knows about all the secret mod stuff. It would help keep this forum cleaner.
Secret mod stuff?
Quote by justin_fraser
You guys are also talking a name change, but I think we had a big thing about that a year ago or so and it never worked out. Like psych said, there are 2 subforums that are also in here. Unless we ship advanced techniques into electric guitar and bandleading into something else, we will never change the name.
At the moment people read the title (not the description) and say, hey this has something to do with being a musician." and than they begin threads that should go elsewhere.
Quote by demon
At the moment people read the title (not the description) and say, hey this has something to do with being a musician." and than they begin threads that should go elsewhere
Yeah, thats what we said last time
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
I still think the theory sticky is terrible. I posted a list of things that were poorly explained, impenetrable to beginners or simply wrong in the sticky more than a year ago.

I think it'd be better to fix what we send half the people to go and read than to improve the forum in any other way.

I've brought up these issues with the thread four or five times now, with various authors, and it still hasn't been changed, even the most simple and embarrassingly wrong mistakes -

A chord is a series of different notes creating a pleasant sound to our ears.

Each skeleton note, called a root note, is a 0. Vocals and guitar/bass solos are roots.

If you can find a piano or keyboard, try playing two white notes beside each other. That is a second interval chord. Sounds bad, doesn’t it? That’s because it’s known as an instable note.

Can I just ask how long say, : D would tolerate me passing that information out as gospel?

Ffs sake MT, sort it out.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=374091&page=7&pp=20&

Theres my original post.
Last edited by Freepower at Jun 24, 2008,
Can we each contribute to the theory sticky and decide, all together, on what goes in?

Also what is this "secret mod stuff." Come on, secrets kill me.
Quote by demonofthenight
Can we each contribute to the theory sticky and decide, all together, on what goes in?

Also what is this "secret mod stuff." Come on, secrets kill me.

A new theory sticky might be a good idea. Then again, does anyone really read the sticky?

As for that secret mod stuff, its nothing
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
I know I haven't been the nicest person on the forum lately. But here is one of my biggest pet peeves:

When someone asks a question, and gets a correct answer, can we leave the thread alone? We don't need 14 of the same answer, to the same question, just with differing degrees of complexity and logical organization.

Also I think it would be nice to have a "So you're thinking about going to college as a Guitar Major?" sticky/only thread. That way we can clearly define the information that is needed to help people get their questions answered, and those of us that have gone through the process can provide advice in a consolidated place.
Quote by Freepower
Can I just ask how long say, : D would tolerate me passing that information out as gospel?

It seems I've developed a reputation...
I'd like less leniency/more fascism by the mods, with all respect to my beloved alex and john. I've seen a fair bunch of replies lately by regulars who clearly feel too big for their shoes, who wouldn't have gotten away with it in any of my forums.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by justin_fraser
Well Id say that 1/4 of what we are missing is you. The other 3/4 has got to be elven.

Hello

Just skimming through the first page of MT after a while of afk/irl stuff, I believe the general knowledge of the MT public has gone down. So, I agree with Resi.

About the rest, I don't have a clue but I might post something if I keep hanging around and don't forget about this thread.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
IMO there needs to be an "only sweep picking thread" those pop up at least twice a day in either MT or advanced techniques.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
^ yes, but lets ffs let someone with a clue write it, as plenty of eejits have tried to do one and they're terrible.

Why don't we just sticky a thread with a link to the rather good lesson from Mr.Seal for Steal this Vid? It's the only video i've seen that's actually any good at covering sweeping. As opposed to the typical "lesson" which consists of watching some retard play sweeps slowly and then fast and sloppy with zero explanation.
Quote by Freepower
^ yes, but lets ffs let someone with a clue write it, as plenty of eejits have tried to do one and they're terrible.

Why don't we just sticky a thread with a link to the rather good lesson from Mr.Seal for Steal this Vid? It's the only video i've seen that's actually any good at covering sweeping. As opposed to the typical "lesson" which consists of watching some retard play sweeps slowly and then fast and sloppy with zero explanation.

that was a good video, but I was thinking less of a lesson thread and more like a general questions and advice thread.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by justin_fraser
As for that secret mod stuff, its nothing
Saying theres a secret and not telling me is like telling a kid theres candy and that he's not allowed to have some.

Quote by Resiliance
I'd like less leniency/more fascism by the mods, with all respect to my beloved alex and john. I've seen a fair bunch of replies lately by regulars who clearly feel too big for their shoes, who wouldn't have gotten away with it in any of my forums.
As long as that fascism isn't dirercted to me, I'm happy.
Yeah, but most people actually don't need advice on sweep picking that isn't covered by that video. In fact, I'd go as far as to say 95% of peoples questions could be solved by watching the video and paying attention. A general questions and advice thread degenerates into people asking the same questions over and over and some poor sod telling them it's been covered in great depth "here", and they don't read it and get pissy, and then the poor sod gets really and tired of dealing with people so lazy they can't open a link for a specific question they've asked, let alone actually practicing properly to affect real change in the area they apparently wish to improve in.

Basically, make the thread, it's fine, a-ok, but there's no way it'll turn out well unless it opens with a complete, comprehensive super-lesson on sweeping. Which is that video + a bit of extra fiddly bits and pieces. Which I personally don't feel like writing, although edg or theshred201 would be a good bet.

ED:
Quote by demonofthenight
.As long as that fascism isn't dirercted to me, I'm happy.

He wants more fascism, are you sure you're fascist enough for Resi?
Quote by Guitar_Theory
I know I haven't been the nicest person on the forum lately. But here is one of my biggest pet peeves:

When someone asks a question, and gets a correct answer, can we leave the thread alone? We don't need 14 of the same answer, to the same question, just with differing degrees of complexity and logical organization.

Also I think it would be nice to have a "So you're thinking about going to college as a Guitar Major?" sticky/only thread. That way we can clearly define the information that is needed to help people get their questions answered, and those of us that have gone through the process can provide advice in a consolidated place.

Surprised no one has commented on these suggestions... They're pretty good if you ask me. Very often, people will post the same exact answer in a thread without really changing the wording or how to explain it. Now, I don't think that posting a reworded summary with a different example is bad because the topic starter may need several explanations of the same thing to grasp the concept (It's often this way in an actual classroom/private lesson). But, 14 of the SAME exact explanation is not needed.

The sticky idea is a good one too. I haven't seen many threads on it lately but it's bound to come up again sometime and there is plenty of interest to sustain an Only/Sticky thread status.
Portugal. The Man »–
Quote by freepower

Basically, make the thread, it's fine, a-ok, but there's no way it'll turn out well unless it opens with a complete, comprehensive super-lesson on sweeping. Which is that video + a bit of extra fiddly bits and pieces. Which I personally don't feel like writing, although edg or theshred201 would be a good bet.

I've personally thought that having a general technique Sticky for AT was a good Idea, and have considered starting one. Perhaps though its a good Idea to have a sweeping one, and maybe make others later. Maybe I'll have a go at writing a sweeping lesson. I can't make any videos right now (give me about a month) but I think I can write a good article about it. I've seen enough of the threads (seeing as I read EVERY new thread in AT and try to post in most of em) to know most of the common questions.
^ lets team up on that. I'm sure you've noticed, but i've got those lessons in my sig, and if you want to go over them with a fine tooth comb and spot what i've missed, i'll write em up in one chunk and that'd be a good start. Then a post with all those GP exercises, then a post or two of FAQs (obviously, the answers would be in post above, but you know how people will refuse to read anything that would do them good).
Page 1 of 4