Anyone use these? My mom is having me redo my room so Im thinking about buying these to save a little space. Do they have to be nailed into the stud to stay in place or will they fall if they are not?
Quote by Briddell
Anyone use these? My mom is having me redo my room so Im thinking about buying these to save a little space. Do they have to be nailed into the stud to stay in place or will they fall if they are not?

Anything you heavy you hang onto the wall should be into a stud. You could use plugs, but for a guitar, I'd say hit a stud.
Anything that is nailed into the wall should be nailed into the stud. Drywall is so brittle, you can easily punch a hole through it.
I use Hercules clamp ones and they're amazing. I have four guitars on one wall and never had any problems.

And I don't think they have to be nailed to the stud, you just get those special fixing things (really sorry, can't remember what they're called).
Quote by Copilot911
Anything that is nailed into the wall should be nailed into the stud. Drywall is so brittle, you can easily punch a hole through it.

Says a very angry man. :P
Quote by Copilot911

Well, somebody has obviously never done any DIY work. Drywall can be very very strong. Properly used molly's, or drywall anchors, and easily support 50 lbs or more. How do you think mirrors are hung? you have to center a mirror where it looks good, not where studs are. You should have no problem whatsoever hanging a guitar from a properly mounted wall hanger.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Mine is hanging in with plugs, has been fine for the 11 months its been there.
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
Quote by Briddell
How do you find the stud?

Go to my profile...

but seriously, special tool called a studfinder
SHEEEEEIT DAWG GET DA HELL OUT MY SIG!

Quote by brandon369852
"I think my friend might kill herself."
"Dude, I think you should call the cops."
"I have a better idea. I'll ask the Pit."
...besides, I would love to see somebody punch through 3/4 drywall and not scream in pain.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
if you have half inch drywall i would say definitely hit a stud
if you have 3/4 then you can probably go anywhere, the worst that would happen is the nail would start to slide down and you would have to fill in a crack

if you guitar just collapses that would utterly shock me
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Go to Lowes and get Guardian for $10 for 4 feet. You can paint it if you don't want it white. They also sell hooks that go in and are nitro safe for $4.00 a piece.

Shows is two pieces. It holds 300lbs per 4 foot piece which is why my other les paul is on a different wall. I would not reccomend 2 Gibson Les Pauls on one wall.

Use long deck screws and put them into the studs of your house.

Last edited by SenorSmiley at Jun 18, 2008,
'worst that would happen is the nail would start to slide down' and what would happen again?

what if TS is new to this stuff? find a stud buddy - i think they are commonly found every 23" or 18" apart. Granted I don't have the greatest stud finder but I have 5 holes in my wall proving my effort to find the stud. usually a small drill hole until you are possitive you are drilling thru wood. then nail a small long nail in to validate again, pull out nail and then use the screws that usually come with the kit to install properly.

i have the kind with the little rotating catches that 'wrap' around the neck when you set guitar in.

just my 2 cents guys
What about one of those things where, this will be hard for be to describe, it is like a stand, but you can put like 5 guitars on it./
id buy it. adds a lot of coolness and flare to ur room if u know what i mean. i have my lil squier up on my wall and makes the room look alot cooler.
Quote by handlerb
...besides, I would love to see somebody punch through 3/4 drywall and not scream in pain.

Um, I've done it, and I don't remember it hurting, although I did it with my elbow while asleep.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
I love the Hercules I just put up not too long ago. The locking weight mechanism is pretty nifty. If you use proper anchors you can go without hitting a stud, but honestly, if you got the wall room, might as well use the studs.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
'worst that would happen is the nail would start to slide down' and what would happen again?\

No worst that could happen would be hitting a wire with the nail and being electrocuted.
Quote by Copilot911
No worst that could happen would be hitting a wire with the nail and being electrocuted.

just clarifying that was not my comment and I should have used the Forum quote tool.

and to clarify further - most electrical wire is run horizontally along horizontal stud and then down to outlets as opposed to up the wall.

a hammer with a wooden handle certainly helps

a drill with a small bit to start would probably short out before getting electrocuted.

again, all the more reason to find a verticle stud. if you go slow you won't penetrate a shielded electrical line, but if you start hammering and drilling with no plan or prep you increase your chances of f*cking up.

PS. guitar stands are great too
Quote by Copilot911

Nope the worst that would happen was hitting a water pipe.

If you hit a wire you would blow a circut breaker but unless you were standing in a pail of water and holding onto the nail as it went through the wire - think about how hard this would be! you would live.

I suppose hitting a gas pipe while smoking may be bad too
to whom ever said the studs were 23 inches or 18 inches apart:

they could also be just 16 inches apart. just another option.
Help Out A Dentist; Play Rugby

I have now met 1/5 of the original GNR lineup.
so far: Steven Adler
to go: Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff.

Quote by ReeseKillsHIV

You sir, are a nice person.
yep - either way, once you know the distance between your studs it becomes easier with the process of elimination if you have a tape measure and a cheap stud finder for example.

also, whoever said Hercules is the best. +1, that is what i have and they are great. i can actually tug a bit (not recommended) on the neck and i can tell it is rock solid on that stud.

Quote by SenorSmiley
Nope the worst that would happen was hitting a water pipe.

If you hit a wire you would blow a circut breaker but unless you were standing in a pail of water and holding onto the nail as it went through the wire - think about how hard this would be! you would live.

I suppose hitting a gas pipe while smoking may be bad too

You mightn't need to be smoking, because you're already hitting steel on steel, which can spark. Anything involving petrol or gas lines you can't ever hit with a steel tool, it's got to be brass, copper or aluminium. Using a steel hammer to loosen a fuel line for instance is a pretty sure way to blow yourself up. Most home mechanics keep a brass punch around for this purpose.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
I have the StringSwing hangers hung in drywall with the plastic toggles. If you pull on the necks, the hanger arms flex but they're meant to be adjustable... the mounts do not.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
If you plan on using drywall anchors to hold the stand up then you can put it anywhere you wont need a stud. But if you play on using screws,(better than nails, saves time when you have to take it down) then you should find a stud.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}