Page 1 of 2
i was orgiginaly on budget of 400$ and i was going to get the peavy valveking 112, wich is 50 watts, then my budget raised so i can go up to about 600. so iwas thinking of the valveking 212 wich delivers 100 watts. im 13 i do small giggs with my bands and i play most heavy metal and a bunch of solos. wich amp should i get? because i could probably get the lower wattage version and spend 200$ on pedals, or just got the extra 50 watts.
The extra speaker and 50 watts is a waste. Get the 112.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Instead of paying 200 bucks for an extra speaker and more wattage, go for a Randall RG50TC, which is better for metal than the VK is.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Instead of paying 200 bucks for an extra speaker and more wattage, go for a Randall RG50TC, which is better for metal than the VK is.

+1

Also you will need to get a few pedals, swap the speakers and possibly the tubes just to get it to do metal decently.... So go with the Randall....
Quote by darkarbiter7
i cant find that amp at guitar centers site. and would the randall need any pedals or upgrading to play heavy metal?
Last edited by jdog_has_ibanez at Jun 18, 2008,
the valve king does metal fine. dont listen tno the idiot that told you to buy a randall. heres what i do. i use the straight gain channel, then if i want more drive, i step on my tubescreamer which adds a very transparent creamyness and boost to my tone. why waste more money on a ****tier amps when you can get a GREAT amp with amazingly clear distortion and amazing cleans for a great price. i own the half stack and i personally like it more then 90 percent of the amps out there (besides the 5150, the mark IV, and some other rediculous high gains.) but seriously, id HEAVILY consider gettting that amp and if your into drop tunings and such, it does that great too and doesnt add too much fuzz to your tone.
The VK112 does metal amazing, put a v30 in there, it's even better.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
bugera is amazing, i dont care what people say about reliability it looks like quality and plays like quality and shows no signs of stopping
You Are Now Aware Of Your Own Breathing
i would personally go for the 112.

.....\,========================]
...../ ..---.........................-----.............|]
..../_==o;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;-------.:/
....), ...(_(_) ..../
...// (..) ), ------"
..//......//
.//......//
//......//
oh i forgot to add, having the larger amp increases the amps tone. trust me...bigger amps ALWAYS sound better.
and if you wanna hear how a valve king stack sounds...check my pro on the song misstaken, the first solo is a valve king with my tc electronic g major for delay..the second solo isnt me...
Quote by HIM%(^
the valve king does metal fine. dont listen tno the idiot that told you to buy a randall. heres what i do. i use the straight gain channel, then if i want more drive, i step on my tubescreamer which adds a very transparent creamyness and boost to my tone. why waste more money on a ****tier amps when you can get a GREAT amp with amazingly clear distortion and amazing cleans for a great price. i own the half stack and i personally like it more then 90 percent of the amps out there (besides the 5150, the mark IV, and some other rediculous high gains.) but seriously, id HEAVILY consider gettting that amp and if your into drop tunings and such, it does that great too and doesnt add too much fuzz to your tone.

No need to be rude for what he suggested.
if you really want the extra 50 watts and an extra speaker, id say get the head version of the VK and get a 2x12.
I play my 112 vk through my 2x12 avatar cab and it sounds so much fuller.
the head and cab will be easier to transport also.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by HIM%(^
and if you wanna hear how a valve king stack sounds...check my pro on the song misstaken, the first solo is a valve king with my tc electronic g major for delay..the second solo isnt me...

it sounded good, but does the 112 or 212 sound the same?
Quote by HIM%(^
oh i forgot to add, having the larger amp increases the amps tone. trust me...bigger amps ALWAYS sound better.

Total fail.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by HIM%(^

you had a couple good points but now youre just making a fool of yourself.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Well if your dead set on a VK (Highly suggest something used and made for metal) and gonna spend the cash go with the 212 or peferably the head and 212 cab with vintage 30's since your gonna have to replace the combo speakers anyway. Then get you a good OD and Eq Pedal. All that should get you into the Metallica/Lamb of god territory.
and Jdog imo focus on the amp you want first like you tried to do with your other thread.

there is nothing wrong with having 2 threads open at the same time but you need to spread them out a bit or enter into the 212/112 thing after you start narrowing down....or as you have seen you might cause someone to report you.

and Darkarbiter7 had a great suggestion so whoever just dissed him is the idiot in my opinion. Dark7 has a great reputation around here and ffs i've only been here 4 months.
Well if you're budget has gone up to $600 I would suggest a used 6505 combo. But if you'd rather the Valveking I think you should get the 2x12. It'll sound a bit bassier, and fuller and have more headroom for metal.
Quote by HIM%(^
the valve king does metal fine. dont listen tno the idiot that told you to buy a randall.

Atleast I can harness the power of proper spelling and grammar.

And yeah, there's bugeras and used peavey 6505's out there, but I used the Randall RG50TC for an example.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
defiantely the 112 is the way to go..great amp. i barely put the volume over 1 quarter and it blows away my basement. the amp will crank. the overdrive channel isn't the greatest, not too tweakable, but i assume you got a distortion pedal. i run my boss ds1 through the clean channel and its fine. sometimes for real crunch and dirt ill use the dirty channel. but anyway, if u wanna save some money, and dont wanna lug around a huge 30 pound amp, just go with the 112. plenty of power, good amp.
^to DBL's point about weight.

um...the 112 is 44.5 lbs.
and the 212 is 68.5 lbs.

and the VK 100 head is 41 lbs.

and yes the 112 can crank

Jdog was on here last night or night before asking about the Spider I think and he feels compelled to get an all tube 'metal' amp so I wanna help as much as I can. LOL.

Jdog - do you play other stuff besides Metal (now or in future)? And personally, if your other thread is open, you may want to go back there and ask about some of the other amps mentioned as to broaden the range or 'open' the suggestion box more. (as you can tell i'm trying to stay neutral here) Otherwise VK112 for $400 new.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 19, 2008,
I was thinking of getting this same amp, but how does it handle blues/classic rock material? It's either that or a Fender tube
MY STUFF

Epiphone Les Paul Standard-Ebony
Silvertone 10 wt Amp
Digitech RP50

Quote by AmonMortem
This is the Internet. Men are men, and girls are FBI agents in disguise.

Member #19 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join
i was in same boat Mortified. This amp or a Fender tube amp. Extremely tough decision for me. I'll simply say it again, this amp does lots of stuff well, just not any one thing great.

Metal Amps = there are metal amps out there that beat it.
Blues Amps = there are blues amps out there that beat it.

It can do some Blues stuff but not like Fender can. I only really had about $400 when I got the VK and I wanted new and I do not regret my decision.

Start a thread with your short list or go to The ONLY VK thread too to get more info.

edited for clarity
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 18, 2008,
Quote by HIM%(^
the valve king does metal fine. dont listen tno the idiot that told you to buy a randall. .....

i hope your not a dick in real life.
where i come from, people like that get there asses kicked mercilessly.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
and Jdog imo focus on the amp you want first like you tried to do with your other thread.

there is nothing wrong with having 2 threads open at the same time but you need to spread them out a bit or enter into the 212/112 thing after you start narrowing down....or as you have seen you might cause someone to report you.

and Darkarbiter7 had a great suggestion so whoever just dissed him is the idiot in my opinion. Dark7 has a great reputation around here and ffs i've only been here 4 months.

k, and my other thread was different, if i get an answer that intrests me, i like put that up to test in a dif thread
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
um...the 112 is 44.5 lbs.
and the 212 is 68.5 lbs.

and the VK 100 head is 41 lbs.

and yes the 112 can crank

Jdog was on here last night or night before asking about the Spider I think and he feels compelled to get an all tube 'metal' amp so I wanna help as much as I can. LOL.

Jdog - do you play other stuff besides Metal (now or in future)? And personally, if your other thread is open, you may want to go back there and ask about some of the other amps mentioned as to broaden the range or 'open' the suggestion box more. (as you can tell i'm trying to stay neutral here) Otherwise VK112 for $400 new.
bassicaly from rush to suicide silence, from eric clapton to job for a cowboy, from steve miller to trivium. so yeah i play everything, but my bands are going to focus on metal, so i want all tube METAL amp, thats loud enough for small giggs, because im sure it will play blues better then my solid state 15 watt mg. anyhow, im glad to say that when i played my uncles fender blues tube amp, i could hear the difference in the clean channel and in overdrive, im deffinetly on the tube amp side now (yay i came to my senses)
Quote by jdog_has_ibanez
k, and my other thread was different, if i get an answer that intrests me, i like put that up to test in a dif thread

i don't see your other thread anymore...did you delete it?

and yes i realize they were different which is why i didn't think it needed to be reported or closed.

^^if you do all of that stuff then i personally think this is the right amp for you at 50 watts. whether or not you want to buck up a bit more and get the 100 watt 212 with the additional cab out options is up to you.

i'm just happy you are on the right track

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 18, 2008,
You will only need 50. But for 500 there are better metal amps. Bugera, B-52, Randall RG50TC. Could find a 5150, not too sure on that though.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
i don't see your other thread anymore...did you delete it?

and yes i realize they were different which is why i didn't think it needed to be reported or closed.

^^if you do all of that stuff then i personally think this is the right amp for you at 50 watts. whether or not you want to buck up a bit more and get the 100 watt 212 with the additional cab out options is up to you.

i'm must just happy you are on the right track

additional cab out options? and would the randall rg50tc realy be better for metal? even if i buy an OD pedal for the valveking?
1x12. But I also recommend propping it up so it's pointing to your face, so you don't lose any tone.
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
+1 to these other guy's comments.

the 112 you can cab out to 16 ohms only but lose internal speaker
the 212 you can cab out at 4, 8, or 16 ohms - still not sure on internals

im 13, i self tought myself, i went from liking ss to tube amps in 1 day. now what the hell is cab out? lol
Quote by jdog_has_ibanez
additional cab out options? and would the randall rg50tc realy be better for metal? even if i buy an OD pedal for the valveking?

IMO, the Randall is better for metal than the VK.

But, the VK is more versatile. It has better cleans and better lower gain tones. The Randall is best at metal, but that's the only good tones it can get. It can get passable lower gain tones, but the VK is better at that kind of stuff.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by jdog_has_ibanez
im 13, i self tought myself, i went from liking ss to tube amps in 1 day. now what the hell is cab out? lol

cab out = plug a speaker cabinet into a tube combo or tube head

think Marshall Full/Half stacks or Avatar cabinets.

all i was trying to say is that if you are gigging you can plug some/most combos into a cabinet for extra uuumph or coverage
Quote by darkarbiter7
IMO, the Randall is better for metal than the VK.

But, the VK is more versatile. It has better cleans and better lower gain tones. The Randall is best at metal, but that's the only good tones it can get. It can get passable lower gain tones, but the VK is better at that kind of stuff.

yey - darkarbiter7's first plug for teh Valveking in budget market.

kidding.

seriously, listen to this dude too as he knows his shtuff.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
yey - darkarbiter7's first plug for teh Valveking in budget market.

kidding.

seriously, listen to this dude too as he knows his shtuff.
im going to guitar center tommarow to pick up my guitar because i got the floyd rose reset and stuff so when im there ill try the valve king 112, 212, and the randall rg50tc because im convinced by darkbeiter or wat ever. and are hybird amps anygood? my friend suggested this hybird marshall
Quote by jdog_has_ibanez
im going to guitar center tommarow to pick up my guitar because i got the floyd rose reset and stuff so when im there ill try the valve king 112, 212, and the randall rg50tc because im convinced by darkbeiter or wat ever. and are hybird amps anygood? my friend suggested this hybird marshall

Hmm... my influence is spreading...
My plan for UG domination is coming to fruition!
*evil snicker*

But, stay away from hybrid marshalls, especially since you can go tube.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
The DSL? Don't go back to the Marshall's until you are older and afford a JCM800 or 900 or something. The ss MG stuff is a gimick to get kids to by the Marshall name. It may have seemed like a good idea to them at the time but it will hurt them long term 'cause the real life experiences are catching up with the marketing and i don't think it is panning out.

as far as Hybrid's in general i guess my only experience has been with the Vox AD XT series and the Fender Super Champ XD. If I had to pick I would take the Super Champ. If they have these along with the Randall and the VK then try them all. Also check out the B-52s and Blackhearts if they have any. Seems that their amp selection has dwindled to make room for the MGs, Spiders, Ravens, etc.

Give them a pretty specific list of amps you want to try and ask if you can borrow an OD pedal and try them all out. I recommend using your own guitar (i guess you are picking it up there) and play the same riff(s) over and over thru each amp so you can gauge the diff.

there is obviously other stuff too, i only try to talk about things i've played thru or feel comfortable about from listening to other UGrs. Got your last PM too - thanks.

sorry for long post - just tryin to help you out. good luck, and let us know how it goes.
311zoso
Page 1 of 2