looking to buy some new pick ups for my epiphone les paul, i dont know what i have right now, its about 5 years old, their def not EMG like some models I see at guitar center nowadays. was looking the some seymour duncans, i play mostly metal, any suggestions?
In b4 Blackouts.

What style of metal are you looking at and how much are you looking to spend?
"there is no spoone" - The Matricks
Seymour Duncan JB (bridge) and Jazz (neck) is always a winner...
Quote by scottishmob

This is a site for musicians and you're all crying about the sad state of rock? Fuck that. I'm going to practice more and take over radio. I advise you all to do the same.
Seymour Duncan's are amazing. I have them on my Jackson DK2 transparent red the new edition which means that the body is better and the pickups are Seymour Dunca andnot Funcan Designed.

They are amazing from Pink Floyd to Metallica.
Were you thinking about any specific model of duncan? If so what was it? If not then why limit the search to duncan?
Not taking any online orders.
^listen to him. why limit to duncans when you have a lot of others like Dimarzio and GFS?

first, what's your current amp?

EDIT : i would recommend the Custom, Distortion, PATBs or Livewires for metal if you're looking into duncans. personally, i dont like the blackouts.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Last edited by leviticus_22953 at Jun 19, 2008,
I prefer Seymour Duncan's so there's the Seymour Duncan SH6 Super Distortion, Blackouts, Dimebuckers or Hotrails, all great pickups for metal.
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
^but it depends on what type of metal sound the threadstarter is after. Thats why we need to know WHY they are looking into duncans and what models they were thinking about. To add to that, we also need to know what amp they are using and some specific tonal qualities they are after.
Not taking any online orders.
^ listen to corduroy... his information is priceless
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
^^ Which is exactly why I didn't name just one pickup. He can always go check out each of those since he has a place to start and maybe one of them has the tone he is looking for, since none of those pickups have the same tone.
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
ones with big magnets
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
i have dimarzio's in my ibanez. i have a Drop Sonic in the bridge and a air norton in the neck but that's because i love playing low sounding stuff. "metal" is too broad of a catagory to decide on a certain set.
EMG 81 bridge 85 neck -for the actives

bill lawrance l500xl bridge/ super distortion neck for passive

now also what kind of amp do u have if you dont have a tube amp then dont get active pickups. they are ment to overdrive your tubes. and are full of harmonics so you can squeel till your harts content!

END OF THREAD!
Epi Les Pau Quilt topl~Emg 81/85 Ghs 11's(1/2 step drop)
Charvel Model 4 EMG 81/SA/85 DR 10's (standard){for sale}
Peavey Deuce VT
Marshall JCM 800
Dunlop ZW-45 wylde wah
Dunlop RotoVibe
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Boss CE-5 Chorus
Bare knuckle warpigs... Or emgs 81 in bridge and either 85 or 60s in the neck
Quote by Ichimaru
Pics? I can tell if someone has AIDS just by looking.

Quote by xHuffyx
BTW, what's metal and full of holes?

Dimebag Darrell.