I was cleaning today and found my dad's old Squier Stratocaster that he got at some point back in the early-mid 80s (82-84). The body has chunks out of it and the neck is split, but I plugged it in and the electronics still work perfectly.
Does anyone know what pickups Squier used in their Strats back in the 80s, and are they any good? I was thinking of using them in a different guitar.
Not sure if this goes here or in the gear section, btw.
Here's some information

There's some info about the pickups in the middle of the page.

I own a Squier Strat JV since...well, Saturday the pickups are supposed to be early version of Fender 57/62 , so pretty good stuff. If the strat was made in '82 or '83 then it probably these US made pickups. If it was made later, it probably has Japanese electronics which are a bit worse, but still ok.
pics??

.....\,========================]
...../ ..---.........................-----.............|]
..../_==o;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;-------.:/
....), ...(_(_) ..../
...// (..) ), ------"
..//......//
.//......//
//......//
Quote by stussy<>punk
pics??

I agree, actually pics could be pretty helpful. It would be awesome if you could find the neck plate with serial number, so we could approximately tell the date of production.
Those MIJ Squiers were amazing guitars imo, probably almost as good as any Fender Highway 1 out now.
Milus, the body will be easy to fix ... the neck, you can hunt down some MIJ Squier necks from '82-'84. They do become available, or, just buy a Fender or licensed neck. Check out Musikraft, USACG, or AllParts.
Quote by zombiak
Here's some information

There's some info about the pickups in the middle of the page.

I own a Squier Strat JV since...well, Saturday the pickups are supposed to be early version of Fender 57/62 , so pretty good stuff. If the strat was made in '82 or '83 then it probably these US made pickups. If it was made later, it probably has Japanese electronics which are a bit worse, but still ok.

You must post pics! I have 2 SQ series, JVs are getting pricey.

Quote by CJRocker
Those MIJ Squiers were amazing guitars imo, probably almost as good as any Fender Highway 1 out now.

Some collectors would argue that they're better than the Fenders made around the same period.

Quote by CJRocker

thats the same as i have read...........the 80's mij are some sweet guitar's.
Back in the early 80's most of the squier pickkups were a hybrid of what we have in cheap guitars today. They used steel poles and ceramic magnets which isn't good but they also had forbon bobbins and wire wrapped directly onto the poles which is good. All and all, they are better the new squire pickups but not as good as the pickups from the 50's and 60's. There were a few squires that were still using alnico magnets and those pickups were nice.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jun 19, 2008,