Page 1 of 2
hi, can someone help me with this? what im trying to find out is what pedal sounds exactly like the metal distortion on a Line 6 Spider II amp. The thing is, when i jam with my other guitarist, his distortion totally different from mine, so when we play together, it sounds like ****. He uses pedals and all this stuff. I have simple Line 6 Spider II amp, no pedals or anything. We all settle on the fact that my distortion sounds better, so does anyone know what pedal he can buy that sounds like my distortion?
Remember: Line 6 Spider II amp, Metal on the Green LED, extra distortion on, and i forgot the tone settings. Someone help me out?
Maybe a Line 6 Uber Metal. I don't know I haven't used either.
GEAR:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Schecter Gryphon w/ Tone Zone & PAF Pro
Peavey Valveking 112 w/Eminence Texas Heat
Line 6 Space Chorus
Marshall Echohead
Morley Power Wah Volume
BOSS MT-2
Vox Satchurator
i could **** in a box, put input and output jacks on it, and ship it to you, Lets say $150 shipped? give me your address.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
i could **** in a box, put input and output jacks on it, and ship it to you, Lets say $150 shipped? give me your address.

I'll do the same, but for only $100!
hah!
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
I'll do the same, but for only $100!
hah!

but mine has true bypass and some esoteric chip that i will charge alot for when someone could just buy it themselves for like $1, just like the big companies. lets see you top that, Mikey metal. haha
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
You want to sound like a line 6 spider? maybe just toss a bee hive there. That way you won't even need to play the guitar!
I would really like to hear what amp he has and what settings/guitar when you actually agree that your tone is the best.
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
Quote by chea_man

thats probaly the best idea but if thats to expensive i would say the uber metal
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
so basically, ur trying to model a model amp's distortion. ur a dumbass
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by chea_man
but mine has true bypass and some esoteric chip that i will charge alot for when someone could just buy it themselves for like $1, just like the big companies. lets see you top that, Mikey metal. haha

Mine has twice as much **** as yours
and it has pedal armor
similar to the ones they make for the marshall MG
if i had photoshop i'd show you and was remotely good with it.
win
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
Mine has twice as much **** as yours
and it has pedal armor
similar to the ones they make for the marshall MG
if i had photoshop i'd show you and was remotely good with it.
win

damn.
maybe our companies should merge.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
damn.
maybe our companies should merge.

i agree, first order of business:
we create a monster of an amp that will rival the greatness of the MG100HDFX.
we won't use digital bees though, we're going analog with real ****ing bees!
It's a sure success.
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Boss MT-2! lol personally i wouldn't ever... usually... recommend that but it might sound similar to a spider
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
i agree, first order of business:
we create a monster of an amp that will rival the greatness of the MG100HDFX.
we won't use digital bees though, we're going analog with real ****ing bees!
It's a sure success.

**** yeah, it might be hard to keep bears away from the amp when its dripping in honey haha.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Lol. I really wanna know what amp his friend has.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
£20 says it's a marshall MG
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
Quote by chea_man
**** yeah, it might be hard to keep bears away from the amp when its dripping in honey haha.

well it will smell good at least...
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
wow woww, holy crap i did not think this forum is full of stuck up people. first, this isnt real equipment, just practice equipment thats cheap, sounds decent, and my friend needs the same sound otherwise our 2 different distortions together sounds weird. you know what, thats great you guys have equipment thats 1000x better. no need to to be douches. for those who actually tried helping me out, thank you
Well also why does two differant distortions sound bad together. I would think that its just two bad distortions rather than that they are differant. Most bands with two guitarists try to have differant tones than the other guitarist.
80's Fender Jazzmaster
1976 Gibson L6s
Epiphone sheraton
Late 60's Univox High Flyer Custom Deluxe
Vintage fendr twin
Fuzz Face
Zakk Wylde Wah
Quote by RaphaelxxxYuki
wow woww, holy crap i did not think this forum is full of stuck up people. first, this isnt real equipment, just practice equipment thats cheap, sounds decent, and my friend needs the same sound otherwise our 2 different distortions together sounds weird. you know what, thats great you guys have equipment thats 1000x better. no need to to be douches. for those who actually tried helping me out, thank you

the roland cubes sound better than the spider and whatever amp your friend has + a pedal, and its cheap. so yeah, they have a right to be "stuck up"
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
the roland cubes sound better than the spider and whatever amp your friend has + a pedal, and its cheap. so yeah, they have a right to be "stuck up"

+1 all you need to do is just sell everything and buy something that wasnt mass produced by a cheap modeling guitar amp company trying to scam little kids.

Just to be helpful. A line 6 uber metal distortion pedal will do it
80's Fender Jazzmaster
1976 Gibson L6s
Epiphone sheraton
Late 60's Univox High Flyer Custom Deluxe
Vintage fendr twin
Fuzz Face
Zakk Wylde Wah
Quote by RaphaelxxxYuki

its not because people are stuck up. a lot of the people who bash these amps own them or have owned them and then realised how crap they are a few months down the line. I dodged a bullet, i almost bought one of those amps when i was a noob, then i tried a tube amp and it all became clear to me.

i'd have thought the line 6 uber metal would sound similar, in a better sort of way (well, that depends on whether your friends amp handles the same volume). What amp does he have?
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by RaphaelxxxYuki

Two different tones shouldn't sound bad together, if anything they will compliment each other and beef up the sound. It sounds more like you two aren't in tune to me.

I own a Spider II and thought it was awesome at first, then i realized my distortion was pure mud. It sounds better than an MG though.
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Quote by RaphaelxxxYuki

You're probably out of tune with each other. You don't want two of the same sound or there won't be any point to there being two of you.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
You're probably out of tune with each other. You don't want two of the same sound or there won't be any point to there being two of you.

^listen to him, because his avatar is full of win.
Rig Winter 2017:

^^I was going to make a similar point. It's not necessarily bad to sound different. Maybe your friend should aim more towards sounding better than he does rather than sounding more like you. In which case, we would need his equipment. Now, if you're still set on him sounding just like you, I can be of little or no help.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
ok i understand what you guys are saying, but i need a lot of money for good stuff, this stuff is cheap and sounds ok for now, im not going all out right now. ok what my friend has is a marshall, with a metal zone pedal, if you heard his distortion, it sounds more like distorted noise than playing the actual notes on a guitar. yeah i know line 6 spider II are bull**** but at least when im playing it through distortion it actually sounds like i can hear each note rather than just distorted noise like my friend's. and yes, we are in tune.
Quote by RaphaelxxxYuki
ok i understand what you guys are saying, but i need a lot of money for good stuff, this stuff is cheap and sounds ok for now, im not going all out right now. ok what my friend has is a marshall, with a metal zone pedal, if you heard his distortion, it sounds more like distorted noise than playing the actual notes on a guitar. yeah i know line 6 spider II are bull**** but at least when im playing it through distortion it actually sounds like i can hear each note rather than just distorted noise like my friend's. and yes, we are in tune.

thats because of the amp and the distortion pedal, they both have the worst distorted tones ever.
Rig Winter 2017:

Get your friend to sell his amp and pedal and buy a used spider II the same as yours.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
so basically, ur trying to model a model amp's distortion. ur a dumbass

you, sir, win.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
You need to makes sure neither of you simply have poor tone, and then work on EQing.

EQing makes a massive difference in sound.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Solution...

Get a tube amp...

make him then try to sound like you...
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by RaphaelxxxYuki

Can he drop the metal zone pedal? His amps distortion might sound better, but that may be a stretch. There's no pedal to fix his mediocre amp, he's stuck with what he has. I suggest he sale it and get a Roland Cube of some sort. You could even consider the same thing.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by RaphaelxxxYuki

First of all, I've played both the MG and Spider side by side many times and imo the MG sounds like much less of a box of bees than the Spider does, but still neither is great.

What are the settings on his amp and what are the settings on his metal zone? The amp distortion probably sounds better by itself than with the MT-2 on the clean channel, maybe try that. Also, the MT-2 is VERY easy to get to sound like ****, you need to set those things right to get any decent distortion out of it and I'm willing to bet his is set with a lot of stuff maxed.

Also... Don't scoop your mids. You won't be able to hear eachother and could be resulting in the crap sound he's getting.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jun 24, 2008,
Everything is relative as einstein says. And tho a spider does sound bad it would sound better than a MG being pushed by a crappy distortion pedal. But trying to mimic the sound and tone of a spider amp, bleah.
Page 1 of 2