is there layering during the solo or is he just using tons of effects because whenever i play it, it sounds like ass. thanx in advance
1. you're not david gilmour
2. he is using loads of effects, I can hear at least a chorus, flange and quite a noticeable delay. there's probably a subtle ring modulator going on somewhere as well
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Sonny_sam
1. you're not david gilmour
2. he is using loads of effects, I can hear at least a chorus, flange and quite a noticeable delay. there's probably a subtle ring modulator going on somewhere as well

1. He never said he was.

2. Delay is it.
Quote by zeppelinfreak51
1. He never said he was.

2. Delay is it.

I was saying that gilmour has a pretty unique sound which would be hard to replicate, especially using the guitars the poster lists

also, my apologies, I was listening to the live version from pulse which has chorus and flange, the original recording just has delay, fuzz and a hell of a lot of reverb
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Sonny_sam
I was saying that gilmour has a pretty unique sound which would be hard to replicate, especially using the guitars the poster lists

also, my apologies, I was listening to the live version from pulse which has chorus and flange, the original recording just has delay, fuzz and a hell of a lot of reverb

Okay, just dont be so mean to people for asking questions.
Quote by mmjohn
lots of effects and he plays thru a leslie.

Seriously? I just went over this. All he uses is delay. And reverb if you want to call that an effect.
Well, delay and a silicon Fuzz Face, at least.

Quoted from Gilmourish.com:

TIME

studio
Stratocaster, bridge pickup (unless otherwise noted)
- intro; clean signal and echo
- rhythm; Fuzz Face
- solo (bridge pickup); Fuzz Face and echo

live
1972 (pre-release)
Stratocaster, middle pickup (unless otherwise noted)
- intro; Colorsound mild boost with Uni-Vibe and echo
- rhythm; Colorsound mild boost with Uni-Vibe
- solo (bridge pickup); Fuzz Face, Colorsound mild boost with Uni-Vibe and echo

1973-’75 (post-release)
Stratocaster, middle pickup (unless otherwise noted)
- intro (middle pickup); Colorsound mild boost with echo
- rhythm (middle pickup); Colorsound mild boost
- solo (bridge pickup); Fuzz Face, Colorsound mild boost and echo
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by zeppelinfreak51
Seriously? I just went over this. All he uses is delay. And reverb if you want to call that an effect.

dude you better read he has a huge pedal board and uses a lesie speaker.
www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=205
Quote by zeppelinfreak51

sorry to offend.
Last edited by mmjohn at Jun 18, 2008,
Quote by zeppelinfreak51

just because YOU can't hear anything else doesn't mean there's nothing else there

as others have stated, gilmour uses alot of effects and even though they are not as obvious as the delay, there is more buried in the mix
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
damn, alright thanx guys. i am in definite need of a reverb/delay pedal since my vox broke. this might give me an excuse to get one. also i never knew it was that it was so hard to reproduce his tone

edit: also i just listened to the song and there is definitely layering during the studio version
lol, time is not hard to reproduce in comparison to some of his others
have a listen to shine on you crazy diamond
the swell parts on that are done at the same time as the lead line over the top through a channel splitter and multiple delay and reverb effects, I managed to reproduce the effect once, but it sounded terrible in comparison to gilmour
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by mmjohn
i'm still laughing .............lol

You'd best take a look at my post. It's he who should be laughing, his response was a lot closer than yours. The Leslie MIGHT have been used live, but Gilmourish doesn't suggest it was on that song. Not dominantly, at least.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by renzo23
its not hard, its impossible
but you can try to get close

which is exactly what I meant by my initial reply of "you're not david gilmour"
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Wulver
You'd best take a look at my post. It's he who should be laughing, his response was a lot closer than yours. The Leslie MIGHT have been used live, but Gilmourish doesn't suggest it was on that song. Not dominantly, at least.

not laughing at you.
Quote by mmjohn
not laughing at you.

I know. My post was to stop you laughing at ZeppelinFreak, as my post pretty much proved him right.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by Wulver
I know. My post was to stop you laughing at ZeppelinFreak, as my post pretty much proved him right.

i was speaking of his live setup. and there is more than just delay used on the recording..........my mistake sorry to offend anyone.
You were speaking of his current live setup. it's an easy mistake to make, but keep in mind he didn't start out with all those effects.

My only real problem is how you were being so smug about it.

Glad I could help you learn something, though.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
he has used a leslie since since 1969.........and used it for the recordings on darkside.
Quote by Wulver
You were speaking of his current live setup. it's an easy mistake to make, but keep in mind he didn't start out with all those effects.

My only real problem is how you were being so smug about it.

Glad I could help you learn something, though.

don't we all make mistakes........he's used the effects i spoke of for a long time...not just his current setup. glad i could help you also.
www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=83
Quote by mmjohn
don't we all make mistakes........he's used the effects i spoke of for a long time...not just his current setup. glad i could help you also.
www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=83

Well, I meant "current" as, eh, from PULSE to now. He started really adding effects after Dark Side, with him probably hitting his "effects saturation" period around Animals/The Wall/Final Cut, and adding new effect inventions ever since. Also consider that many effects he uses weren't even invented during the Dark Side period.

Eh, I'm not even sure what we're arguing over anymore, honestly. Let's just leave it as it is, the threadstarter has much more than his answer now, methinks.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by Wulver
Well, I meant "current" as, eh, from PULSE to now. He started really adding effects after Dark Side, with him probably hitting his "effects saturation" period around Animals/The Wall/Final Cut, and adding new effect inventions ever since. Also consider that many effects he uses weren't even invented during the Dark Side period.

Eh, I'm not even sure what we're arguing over anymore, honestly. Let's just leave it as it is, the threadstarter has much more than his answer now, methinks.

i was talking about the leslie used during the darkside recordings. not trying to argue just telling you that the leslie was a huge part of his sound.
aye, it was. but not on Time. that was the only thing I took real issue with, I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear enough. I know the Leslie was used heavily on many songs on the album, notably the last half, Us and Them onward.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by Wulver
aye, it was. but not on Time. that was the only thing I took real issue with, I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear enough. I know the Leslie was used heavily on many songs on the album, notably the last half, Us and Them onward.

Glad to see we're at peace, man.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
<3 Gilmour's tone. Start off buying a Hiwatt. :P

I can nail his On An Island solo tone though with my Vox. Which I was really excited about haha.

I think Pulse's Time sounds better than Darkside's.