Hello. I'm fairly new here. As the title says, I'm looking for people with some experience to recommend me a few amp models to try. I'm currently looking to make a major upgrade from my laughably awful AVT 50 combo. I'd like to compile a short list of amps worth checking out so that I know what to look for when I'm making the rounds at Guitar Center.

A few considerations:

-Budget: Not much more than $1100 or so. No reservations about buying used.

-Volume: Must be able to produce a relatively decent tone (on both channels) at bedroom volumes. Anything more than 50 W might be overkill at this point. That said, I do want something that will hold up live (but I'm not exactly playing stadiums). For this reason, I'd say I'm particularly interested in combo amps, though compact half-stacks are an option as well.

-Versatility: This is very important to me. My musical interests are very, very broad. I'd like something that can cover vast sprawls of sonic territory from Wes Montgomery to SRV to Kyuss to Incantation.

-Good (and VARIED) distorted tones particularly suited to metal: I realize this point is directly in conflict with the bullet point above. But I am first and foremost a metalhead and a wanky shredder, so a high-gain rig is a must. The amp should retain some clarity and definition even at very low tunings (I play anywhere from E to B flat). Too much "sag" isn't good for death metal. I'd be willing to run an overdrive pedal in front of my rig if needed to sharpen up the tone.

As you can see, I'm, asking for a lot from my amp . Any suggestions/comments/recommendations you could offer would be hugely appreciated. I'd particularly like to hear from people whose musical tastes are as diverse as my own, since they might have a better sense for what my needs are. Thanks a lot.
So basically, high gain with good cleans and a mild crunch if need?

I'm searching for the same thing
Quote by Geartrigger
Mesa Mark IV Combo?

+1, you can only find them used though. It's probably pretty loud as well.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
ENGL Screamer 50 would be perfect in my opinion.

Fits every one of those bullet points, give it a try if you can.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by thefrigginbob
ENGL Screamer 50 would be perfect in my opinion.

Fits every one of those bullet points, give it a try if you can.

Interesting. I'll try to track one down, though I've heard ENGL's are tough to come by in the states. Thanks for the tip.

Also, to some of the previous posters: How does the Mesa Rectoverb stand up to the Mark IV when it comes to some of the above criteria?
JSX or Road King (If you have the money for it that is).

The JSX sounds more compressed so it won't sound as percussive as the Road King which in my opinion is the hands down champ for versatility + metal. The Road King will do pretty much anything given you take your time in setting it up correctly. The JSX is also really good though and I would recommend it to anyone. It's less agressive than the RK but it will be better if you want a more compressed kind of sound.
Mesa/Boogie Road King (v2) 120 Watt (std. tube config) on Traditional Road King Cabs (2x 4x12)- B.C. Rich Custom Shop Warlock 7-string and Modded B.C. Rich Plat. Pro Warlock 7-string - Boss GT-PRO
Quote by leather_face666

The JSX sounds more compressed so it won't sound as percussive as the Road King which in my opinion is the hands down champ for versatility + metal. The Road King will do pretty much anything given you take your time in setting it up correctly. The JSX is also really good though and I would recommend it to anyone. It's less agressive than the RK but it will be better if you want a more compressed kind of sound.

Road King kicks ass. And you have one too! Awesome! Look out for my friend request!
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Do you want a combo or are you wanting to go the head+cab route?
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Quote by leather_face666

Road King? He has 1100 bucks!
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Any opinions on the Mesa Rectoverb combo? It's a bit more within my price range than the Road King.
Try a Randall RM50 or RM100 combo or head. You can find them used on ebay sometimes. New they're a lil pricey $1,000 - $1,500 but well worth it. Crushes any amp in it's category. Very verisitile. RESEARCH it! It literally will eat nuts and bolts for breakfast! It is not safe to be left alone with your girlfriend.
I recomend the Spider Jam by line 6. Dont pay attention to what everyone else here says its a great amp.
Quote by T C coolman
I recomend the Spider Jam by line 6. Dont pay attention to what everyone else here says its a great amp.

Just in case you didnt notice, he's joking
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.