Hey guys!

Ive been listening to alot of John Mayer's live stuff recently and there is this one song which got me thinking.

All this time ive been playing the pentatonic scale (and hte blues version) entirely over a song. I heard Come Back to Bed live (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gya94ScUKPc) and around 5:54 i think it goes from pentatonic/blues -> major (in the same key)

Now this is pretty profound to me - maybe cause i havent learnt the major scale properly and very rarely use it.

My question is, is it just that i havent payed attention and this is actually quite common? How can i learn to integrate the major scale into my blues playing?

Another question: I was looking at Dansm's guitar page - the major scale (http://www.scenicnewengland.net/guitar/scales/major/key.htm) - the white dots are root notes and the red dots are fifths.

I understand the concept of root notes (= the key) but im not sure how to properly use the fifths.

Wow, i really need to go back to basics, i know! thats why i come to you guys!

(side note: i just got a valve junior combo and have a really crappy behringer overdrive pedal. There's a sale on at my local music store - would a Boss ME-20 go well with this amp - i use a mex strat btw).

Thanks guys and gals!
The song is in A major, so it would make sense to use an A major pentatonic scale, right? He stays with this scale for the first part of the song, up until about the 6 1/2 minute mark. That's when he changes to the minor pentatonic scale If you are lost, then check out the theory sticky.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Quote by anthman

My question is, is it just that i havent payed attention and this is actually quite common? How can i learn to integrate the major scale into my blues playing?

Here's what you can do.

Take all the notes of the blues scale. Now, look at all the chords that are in a
I - IV - V Blues progression. Take the notes to each chord and compare it to the
blues scale. Add the notes you don't find in the Blues scale. All those are GREAT
notes to play along with the blues scale over the RIGHT CHORD.

That'll help you find the extra important major notes, because it is a major
progression after all. You can also use I, IV amd V major pentatonics and
mixloydians.