Page 1 of 2
I'm looking for some good books to read. It doesn't really matter the subject matter, but i prefer realistic fiction and/or books somewhat related to music. I am, however, only looking for novels.
Arbor A410 Bass
Dinosaur 20 Watt Bass Amp
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Squier Bullet

Excuse me sir, have you been thinking tonight?
Look up anything by Ted Dekker. He's an awesome writer.
Quote by Wilma Fingerdo
Regret is a waste of time, coulda, woulda shoulda. Don't bother with it, and so what if you didn't nail her. Hump one of her friends and you'll feel much better.
i know this book is all lies, but it's kind of funny with all the swearing anyways the book is a million little pieces
GEAR:
Ibanez GSA60 guitar
perri blue lighting strap
Digitech RP250 pedal
Marshall MG30 Amp

Quote by Glen
I call these Glen wads, they'll get you high just on flavor alone

FOUNDER OF THE JONAS BROTHERS SUCK group join today
(Obligatory "1984 by George Orwell" comment)
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Mr. Nolan Whyte's posts on UG are amazing!! but I suppose they're not realy a novel
Last edited by gurg06 at Jun 18, 2008,
Ayn Rand... you most likly red the anthem which was good but read the fountain head
Seriously, try Dean Koontz's Frankenstein series...the 3rd book isn't out yet but my god I can't wait for it.
WE ARE THE NIGHTMARE
The House of Leaves - Mark Z Danielewsky
Diary - Chuck Palahniuk

Two books i'm currently reading... both amazingly awesome!
Check out "Hairstyles of the Damned" by Joe Meno...good novel, plus lots of interesting stuff about punk music.
Quote by af_the_fragile
The House of Leaves - Mark Z Danielewsky
Diary - Chuck Palahniuk

Two books i'm currently reading... both amazingly awesome!

i've never gotten around to reading any chuck palahniuk but i really want to. how's diary?
The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks.

I always keep it in my back left pocket, you know, just in case.
The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe is a good read.
-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
BlackZeppelin is like Ghandi. With a bigger sense of humor.
it's the silence between the notes that makes the music.
Quote by katenotreally
i've never gotten around to reading any chuck palahniuk but i really want to. how's diary?

Well, i've just started it a couple of days ago so i can't really say much bout it. But it does revolve around people and their lifestyle and attitudes. A very nihilistic view though.

The book is written in the form of diary entries so its all from a very person point of view of the girl.
It is very nihilistic. Though in quite a opposite way of Fight Club i should say!

A girl who spend her childhood in a trailer park dreaming of castles always wanted to become and artist until she got married and her dreams were left astray. Her husband renovates holiday homes and starts hiding rooms with angry messages written all of their walls while renovating those homes which leaves the home owners pretty angry and disturbed. (funny cuz the other book i'm reading which is the House of Leaves has a story which involves rooms evolving in a house out of nowhere. This one's seem to have got rooms disappearing!)
Now she's just a hotel maid while her husband lies senseless in hospital after a suicide attempt. But then she starts painting again rather compulsively. But her doctor and mother-in-law take away her canvases and seem to have a plan for her and the annoying tourists that visit the island on which they stay.

Anyway, its a pretty good read (as far as i've read, which is not too far).
And its really well written, so i'ld definitely recommend it.
Quote by af_the_fragile
Well, i've just started it a couple of days ago so i can't really say much bout it. But it does revolve around people and their lifestyle and attitudes. A very nihilistic view though.

The book is written in the form of diary entries so its all from a very person point of view of the girl.
It is very nihilistic. Though in quite a opposite way of Fight Club i should say!

A girl who spend her childhood in a trailer park dreaming of castles always wanted to become and artist until she got married and her dreams were left astray. Her husband renovates holiday homes and starts hiding rooms with angry messages written all of their walls while renovating those homes which leaves the home owners pretty angry and disturbed. (funny cuz the other book i'm reading which is the House of Leaves has a story which involves rooms evolving in a house out of nowhere. This one's seem to have got rooms disappearing!)
Now she's just a hotel maid while her husband lies senseless in hospital after a suicide attempt. But then she starts painting again rather compulsively. But her doctor and mother-in-law take away her canvases and seem to have a plan for her and the annoying tourists that visit the island on which they stay.

Anyway, its a pretty good read (as far as i've read, which is not too far).
And its really well written, so i'ld definitely recommend it.

that was elaborate.
thank you!

maybe i'll get it.
yes?
Cormac McCarthy's works other that No Country for Old Men and The Road, which people act like are his masterpieces, but in reality aren't even close to his best works, stuff like Blood Meridian, The Crossing, and Suttree.

Also try some Albert Camus.
scar tissue:the anthony keidis biography
the chili peps arent that good but the book is great
the real frank zappa book
awesome
20,000 leagues under the sea
classic
I am the last Samaurai

Quote by Strati
Note to self: keep off thread while on lsd trip.

Quote by gtrfrk123
Well i'm still fairly young so i still hump random things

Quote by Woogles
****K YOU HOE!
GTFO MAH UG!
Quote by katenotreally
that was elaborate.
thank you!

maybe i'll get it.
yes?

You can try it if you liked Fight Club or the idea of nihilism.
And you've got nothing much else to do.

Though i've gotta say House of Leaves by Mark Z Danielewsky is really a must read by everyone!
Its the most brilliantly written book in history!!
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
Nobody likes an unkempt shrubbery - The monty Python appreciation society

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.
Johnny Got His Gun, it's related to music ^_^.

Of Mice and Men is pretty good, though it uses a few racial slurs .
Anything Vonnegut.
Nine planets surround the sun
Only one does the sun embrace
Upon this watered one
So much we take for granted

So let us sleep outside tonight
Lay down in our mother's arms
For here we can rest safely
Trainspotting
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
anything by Chuck Palahniuk
The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test
Hairstyles of the Damned
The Boy Detective Fails
The Outsiders
On the Road
Catcher in the Rye
The Princess Bride
The Alchemist
Brave New World
Fahrenheit 451
The British Museum is Falling Down

etc.
I was a fan of Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill. Its about an older (50 or so) musician who bought a ghost on the internet. This ghost tries to kill him and his 20 something year old girlfriend. Sounds pretty lame, but its really amazing.
Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
It's a classic
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
A Long Way Down and High Fidelity (both by Nick Hornby)
It's Kind of a Funny Story...
Sex Drugs and Cocoa Puffs
The Dangers of Leisure
Read anything by H.P. Lovecraft. Not necessarily novels, but they're damn well written. Dagonbytes.com has most of his collected works available online for free.

There was a really entertaining, out-there kind of author, I forget the name, but my friend brought it on the last day of school and my friends and I were so engrossed in what he read to us. Literally, everyone around him stopped what they were doing and listen (and the guy doesn't command respect, either).

Also, Douglas Adams.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Screw novels. Read something useful:

Daniel Levitin: This is Your Brain on Music
Steven Levitt: Freakonomics
Wendy Northcutt: The Darwin Awards

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I'm reading Freakonomics now. My God...he takes the information he wants, disregards the rest, and says it's correct. Take that book with a grain of salt.

Back to books...

The Things They Carried by Tim O'brien
Anything George Orwell
I Am Legend by Richard Matheson
Handling Sin by Michael Malone (it's actually kinda funny at times)
As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner
Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

The Things They Carried is a must though. This is one of the few books that will be canonized from our time, and if your into the whole post-modern thing, you'll love it. If you're not, you'll still love it.
...hey...
Into The Wild. Amazing book, and if you liked the movie you'll like the book even better.
i personally like pretty much every book Michael Crichton has ever written. most are realistic fiction, or at least fiction that seems possible, even if some of the elements dont currently exist (like Jurassic Park).
Pet Sematary - Stephen King.
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
Pamela Anderson!

Wait... oh not great boobs?

Great books?

The Wonders Of Sex
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
If your looking for something funny get

A Dirty Job- Christopher moore

or if your into a more serious book

Blindness- Jose Saramago
Quote by nexteyenate
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

leftybassdude's opinion is superior to anyone else's

Member of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM TechnicolorBoy or maybe_I_am to join
"Cormac McCarthy - The Road"
The description may sound like phail, but it's the best book that I ever read. Here read some reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R1D2BPNA8CWWQ5/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R1D2BPNA8CWWQ5

Quote by alwaysbored
I'm reading Freakonomics now. My God...he takes the information he wants, disregards the rest, and says it's correct. Take that book with a grain of salt.

In my opinion he gives a lot of information about the other alternatives and why they are wrong .
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Jun 18, 2008,
Quote by MyNameIsLame
Johnny Got His Gun, it's related to music ^_^.

Of Mice and Men is pretty good, though it uses a few racial slurs .

Just because Metallica wrote a song based on Johnny Got His Gun doesnt make it music related.

But it is a damn good book.
Page 1 of 2