well title says it all. What advantages does it give you? I know opeth used it on ghost reveries.
I decided I want to be more like the people on ug...

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Time for a supercool guitar demonstration by herman li,

Herman Li- why is this guitar so big?

Stage guy- because its a bass herman

It's an open Dm chord.

In all honesty, I have no use for it, but it makes a few chords easier (minor chords mostly).
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
My latin acoustic song in my profile is in DADFAD. I couldn't tell you any exact pros or cons other than that it's different and it opens up new possibilities.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

2 words: Slide Guitar.

Although I guess the more common tuning for slide is Open D Major, DADF#AD.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
to play hard time killing floor blues as was played in o brother where art thou. lol.
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Analog Man ARDX20 Dual Delay
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
alternate and open tunings allow you to play different things you probably couldn't in a standard tuning. plus, they force you to map things out differently would normally be straightfoward. it's a great tool for breaking a slump.

I'm actually learning Ghost of Perdition in my lesson right now, and Opeth does A LOT of interesting things with that tuning; all sorts of weird diminished and augmented things (there's a mixolydian style lick in the song with a raised fifth [my limited theory knowledge here, but i believe it's correct] taht sounds really cool, that's really hard to play in just dropped D, cuz it requires some of the open strings and barred minor chords). Spend some time with it, and find some weird chord shapes. The only really alternate or weird tunings I like are Open D Minor, Open C Major and Dsus4 (D Modal I beleive) tuning, and those 3 tunings allow for a lot of different possibilities in songwriting standard doesn't offer.
Mark Tremonti used DADF#AD on a couple songs when he was in Creed.
"When I was a kid I inhaled frequently. That was the point."
Quote by brleealbright
Mark Tremonti used DADF#AD on a couple songs when he was in Creed.

yeah but he sucks

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Quote by RG_FANMAN
alternate and open tunings allow you to play different things you probably couldn't in a standard tuning. plus, they force you to map things out differently would normally be straightfoward. it's a great tool for breaking a slump.

I'm actually learning Ghost of Perdition in my lesson right now, and Opeth does A LOT of interesting things with that tuning; all sorts of weird diminished and augmented things (there's a mixolydian style lick in the song with a raised fifth [my limited theory knowledge here, but i believe it's correct] taht sounds really cool, that's really hard to play in just dropped D, cuz it requires some of the open strings and barred minor chords). Spend some time with it, and find some weird chord shapes. The only really alternate or weird tunings I like are Open D Minor, Open C Major and Dsus4 (D Modal I beleive) tuning, and those 3 tunings allow for a lot of different possibilities in songwriting standard doesn't offer.

you, my friend, are a genius!

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

I like to use DADFAD or DADEAD tuning and play things while droning an open string or two, can get some really cool sounds that way when I'm just laying back and relaxing.
Quote by thankyougermany
2 words: Slide Guitar.

Although I guess the more common tuning for slide is Open D Major, DADF#AD.

This.

Open Dm is a great slide tuning. I have 2 songs in my profile where I use it.

It gives a very dark voice to your playing, kind of foreboding and doomy. Like the coming of the apocalypse.

Open tunings are used heavily in slide guitar. When the Levee Breaks by Led Zeppelin is in Open F (FACFAC).

Quote by ledroses23
to play hard time killing floor blues as was played in o brother where art thou. lol.

Or like Skip James actually played the song.