Poll: Guitar Hero and Rock Band: Crap or Gold?
Poll Options
View poll results: Guitar Hero and Rock Band: Crap or Gold?
Dude, These Games ROCK!
84 49%
Nope. They Suck.
29 17%
If I didn't suck at them so much, maybe I could enjoy them more.
20 12%
What the hell is Guitar Hero?
2 1%
Other (Please Post)
37 22%
Voters: 172.
Page 1 of 2
Yeah, I've heard this go both ways, but generally real guitarists don't like the Guitar Hero or Rock Band franchize. I personally love them, and I am damn good at them. Just want your opinion, UGers.
Black then white are all I see,
in my infancy, red and yellow then came to be.
They're pretty cool. I wouldn't spend money on them though.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
I don't mind them, really. I play on occasion (whenever I'm at my friend's house, I don't own it xD.. I don't have a PS2 or an xBox, just a PSX and N64 xD). I just hate the people that orgasm over it, and are like "OMG I ALMOST 100%'D DRAGONFORCE ON EXPERT!"
I think it's just a game and that it shouldn't be taken so seriously, it's just for fun, etc, etc.
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

It's fun! I suck at it though.
All your base are belong to us.
The game is cool, I just hate the 'I can play guitar hero, therefore guitar, LOL!!11!!' morons.
It's fun, especially the drums on rockband: a good prep for any drummer newbie starting out... It at least teaches foot/hands independance and good bass pedal use.

Plus it allows those people who could never play a note on a real instrument to enjoy themselves.
Eh, it's just a game, and like any other game, a few people might take it too seriously.

But overall, I don't care. I've played rock band with my friend before and I thought it was fun.
"Perception of Balance " - My album.

"Run away from the ending road, the desolate cold, and the broken home."
nott badd! haaha but does not mimick real guitar at all!!! and i woudlent buy or practise i woudl much rather spend my time on real guitarr.
I'm playing guitar hero 3 right now...is on pause while i post.
i like rockband a lot more than guitar hero, i think guitar hero is getting out of control with all the games, where as rockband give you a little experince with things us guitarist wouldn't regulary do i.e drums, maybe even sing.
GEAR:
Ibanez GSA60 guitar
perri blue lighting strap
Digitech RP250 pedal
Marshall MG30 Amp

Quote by Glen
I call these Glen wads, they'll get you high just on flavor alone

FOUNDER OF THE JONAS BROTHERS SUCK group join today
I LOVE THEM! Im waitin for this sunday, cause RockBand comes out for Wii!
its really fun actually, as long as you realize its still a game.

people who don't play guitar shouldnt think they're good at guitar, because you can't play a war game and go fight a battle

guitarists shouldnt condemn the game, because if its not obvious that its a toy, then they are the ones who should be ridiculed
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
Quote by MyNameIsLame
I just hate the people that orgasm over it, and are like "OMG I ALMOST 100%'D DRAGONFORCE ON EXPERT!"

Quote by Lamont

i once dreamt my wallet was on a helicopter and i chased after it. and eventually i pulled my dick out and lassoed the bottom of the copter and pulled it out of the sky. i woke up screaming
It's alright but it deters people from picking up an actual guitar and learning it.

I had guitar hero 2.. my ex girlfriend took it then left me.
I put the no fail cheat on and play the songs with my real guitar.
Guitar Hero is okay, Haven't played Rockband. Come on everybody you can buy an okay starter guitar for about 2.5-3 times the cost of the game, it's way better to play it for real. It don't take skill to play the damn game, that's what makes it suck.
nothing wrong with it.

the thing that bugs me is the people on this site who get their panties in a knot because kids are listening to music because of guitar hero or rock band. it doesn't matter where they heard the song, i heard some cool songs on tony hawk pro skater back in the day. and i discovered static x and blindside from playing Need For Speed. does that mean i am a lesser fan because i found them on a video game rather than...on the radio or through a show? no, it doesn't matter how you get into the music, just appreciated that kids are listening to better music because of games like guitar hero and stop being an elitist prick.

i love the pit for ranting.
People need to remember its a game. If it takes visual stimulation and plastic guitar to get people into music then so be it.
I just hate the people that orgasm over it, and are like "OMG I ALMOST 100%'D DRAGONFORCE ON EXPERT!"
Honestly I think I've seen this thread like 500000 times.

I love guitar hero. Its a fun game but I don't take it seriously like its a lifestyle. No one should.
I'll admit that I don't personally have these (I mean, do something productive like spending those hours playing learning actual instruments) but they are a good pick up and play game which makes them a hit for a party or something. The appeal is that you can pick it up no matter how much you've played in the past, and feel like you're rocking out. It in the end promotes the music community so I say all for it, promote the music.
Quote by goldmember1217
I like the games, but some people take that shit way too seriously.

Very True. I knew this kid who memorized the intro to the hardest song on the game on Expert. I play expert, but I sure as hell don't memorize the songs.
OTHER: The're fun games, just don't think get carried away and have "performances" and destroy a Jimi Hendrix statue.
私の名前はアジリョです

Quote by MarshmallowPies
I snapped my high E once and sliced my finger open, so I can only assume snapping the low E would put me into a coma or something.
Quote by <SpaceTime>
I put the no fail cheat on and play the songs with my real guitar.

lol creative backing tracks
I love them, but there expensive
Quote by Metallicaxp
why would you buy hollister? Wal-mart FTW!
I don't think it's a very fun game, but other than that I'm pretty much ambivalent towards it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
They're fun and if the games can convert the players into actual guitarists, it can't be that bad.

I suck at them though.
There needs to be an option between "Dude, These Games ROCK!" and "Nope. They Suck."

I don't think they rock, nor do I think they suck. I play them to be better at fake guitar then other people.

I hate it when I see videos of four year olds playing expert on youtube. They should be playing with lego and k'nex and all that sht.

EDIT: I also hate how they promote uselessness.
If the real thing is to hard, why not make an easier version of it.

I also hate people that brag about how good they are at school. Anyone can memorize a song and learn how to do hammerons and pulloffs using only five buttons.
Last edited by SuperiorToYou at Jun 18, 2008,
The game's alright, in small doses.

everyone's always saying "you could just be playing guitar"

But hey, you've gotta do something for entertainment when not playing guitar, right?
A good public beheading will teach them. Not with a guillotine, that's too good for the bastards. I say an axe. Or a spoon...Or a bendy straw.

-shaggadellicfuz

That's right. I sigged myself. Because I'm a philosopher.
Quote by Redball
Guitar Hero is okay, Haven't played Rockband. Come on everybody you can buy an okay starter guitar for about 2.5-3 times the cost of the game, it's way better to play it for real. It don't take skill to play the damn game, that's what makes it suck.

it really does take skill to play guitar is guitar hero and rock band. and it definitely takes skills to play drums on expert in rock band so don't say it doesn't take skill. you've got to be pretty coordinated
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
i enjoy playing the drums in rockband, the guitar in both rockband and guitar hero are rubbish though. theres horrible timing always involved in the solos and even some of the rhythms... maybe im just complaining because im trying to play the real solo on the guitar hero controler lol
Page 1 of 2