Hey guys,

I got a Taylor GS6 last year for Christmas (incredible guitar), but I noticed as I looked around that there are two different backs for the Taylor's.

I have the back that looks like this:

But you'll see here that there are other GS6s with a more plain back:

Is it purely aesthetics or is there a design feature for it? I was just curious... For a long time I thought it may have been custom or modified. It was a pre-owned guitar--I say pre-owned because it was never played, so used doesn't quite fit--by a local musician (the son in law of Doyle Dykes).
One's just a two piece back the other is 3 piece. 3 piece backs were originally used to save wood and to keep prices down. smaller pieces of wood are easier to find than larger ones. especially since they have to be instrument quality.

As far as im concerned, it doesnt matter if your guitar is 2 piece, or 3 piece backed. it'll sound about the same. It's mainly aesthetic in my opinion. some people will argue that there is a tone difference, but i think it's negligible.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by slidething31
I think the 3 piece is prettier

Me too, brother.

After playing both, I can't tell a difference. I think mine sounds better, but I guess I'm a little bias.

The GS6 is just a gorgeous guitar all around. I walked into the Taylor room and my eyes just couldn't get off of it... I turned it over and it was love. Then I played it

Big Leaf Maple rules
haha, i like 3 piece more too. Martin has some real nice trim that goes between each piece of wood. looks great.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.