I have my Epiphone X-1000. It plays nice, but the clear on the painted neck gets a bit sticky when my hands start to sweat, which is common this time of year due to the fact it's hot and humid, and my AC unit doesn't do crap anymore. So I want to take off the finish and coat it. What can get a really smooth, satin like finish? I'm thinking tung oil. My only concern is destroying the binding. Masking tape SHOULD protect it from sand paper if I'm careful, right?
Quote by CJRocker
I have my Epiphone X-1000. It plays nice, but the clear on the painted neck gets a bit sticky when my hands start to sweat, which is common this time of year due to the fact it's hot and humid, and my AC unit doesn't do crap anymore. So I want to take off the finish and coat it. What can get a really smooth, satin like finish? I'm thinking tung oil. My only concern is destroying the binding. Masking tape SHOULD protect it from sand paper if I'm careful, right?

I finished the neck of my first Strat assembly with Tung Oil about 2 years ago. I recently re-coated it because I thought and it looked like it needed it. It wasn't like it no longer felt smooth, just less smooth. I'm not sure if this is typical or not. After 5 coats over 5 days, it's back to being silky smooth.

I imagine the tape should be sufficient to protect the binding, as long as you're careful around that area.

dont take off all the paint, just lightly cuff up the surface. problem solved.
Les Paul Black Beauty Custom 3 Pickup
Bigsby B7g vibrato
3 EMG's 85/81/85

Martin D-28
Couple reasons... one it would just polish up again over time. Two, it would look odd as the rest of the guitar is finished on the back and it's neck thru, plus I just prefer the look of a nicely done Natural finished neck going into the painted back of a guitar.
yes, tape the binding, and sand the bcak of the neck with 180 grit sandpaper, and then again with 320, or 400 grit. 400 would be a bit better if you can get it
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"