I read this article http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php for shielding and I'm stuck on a few parts.

1. They say to use a 0.33uf, 400v metal film capacitor. I took this info to the only place I knew to go (Circuit City) and all they have is a pack of 20 random capacitors in a box. I asked them where else in town I could possibly find it and they don't even know. Will I even need it? If it's possible to continue on without it I would love to do so but I'm worried it might be important.

2. When it says to use 2 large ring terminals for the pots or something, this is where that capacitor is supposed to be used. Without it will "star grounding" still work alright?

3. I read a post from another UG'er who used a large foil baking pan for shielding and it worked for him so I went out and got the same thing. When I have it all set in, and maybe some normal cooking foil on the back of the pickguard, is there anything else I will need to do to have it fully shielded?

Sorry about the long post and a lot of questions but I have one more.

5. I'm going to replace the crappy wires in especially one of the guitars I'll be working on but I'm curious as to what kind of wiring I should use. I have a roll of 20 guage speaker wire (with the 2 lines in one) and I figured it might work alright since it's for audio in the first place. Am I an idiot?

Any help is appreciated and I'm going to start on a few guitars tonight if possible.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
1) Radio Shack, or smallbearelec.com or a similar site.
2) ???
3) Yep, thats it.
4) 18-22 guage is ideal.
I'll re-explain what I meant on 2, I really suck at trying to get what's in my head on writing.

I went out and bought some large ring terminals for star grounding and the tutorial said something about using them for the pots. Do I just use it like a washer on the pot? And with the star grounding thing I basically take all the grounding wires from their original destinations to this ring terminal, right? I for a second thought the grounding thing required the 0.33uf cap but somehow I doubt it so dis-regard the original post.
Quote by Jearl

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Last edited by CM_X5 at Jun 18, 2008,
Ok so will I be able to just go on ahead without that 0.33uf 400V Capacitor then?
Quote by Jearl

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
You wont have any tone, I think thats all it affects. It will be like its turned up all the time.