Do you think it's worth it to add another gain stage (in the form of a EF86) in the Blues Junior, or would using a distortion/overdrive/booster would do?
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Hello?
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
an od digetech bad monkey
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
could you actualy wire in a higher gain lvl stage in your amp... sure... if you knew enough. But if you gotta ask probably should try that. A decent OD pedal should suit you.
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by SVStee
I agree. What stlye of music?

Fusion... but if it's for purely practical reason, I would have just stick my Metal muff, or get a TS-808.

Reason I want to stick a tube in there is to have a more tube gain, as well as learning a bit more on actually building an amp. Thus, it's just based on getting a beautiful tone that would be like a very high gain Brit Amp.

Depend on whether the sound is worth a EF86 gain (giving a Z28/AC15) sound, I have the following path in terms of modding, both involve making it a two channel amp
a) No extra gain stage: switch between 2 triode channel and 3 channel (original) gain
b) extra EF86 gain stage: Switch between 3 triode channel and 4 triode channel.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
get a HV valve based overdrive like the blackstar ones.

i have a HT-DRIVE and it great. they do have ones with more gain too and they are all +/- £100
Thank you please.
Quote by kurtlives91
I doubt there is room to add another tube stage...
This, plus the fact that the EF86 is a very high gain pentode - even if you put it before all those gain stages there will be hilariously huge amounts of gain and a huge chance of oscillation and microphonic noise...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Ya I was going to mention that the EF86 is really susceptible to noise/micro phonics and oscillation.

I didn't know the BJ used the 86s. I thought hardly anyone used them anymore.
It doesn't, it just has AX7s :/

And yeah, they are very susceptible to it, and then imagine it driving another 3 triode stages.... Screeching abound at a guess.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.