Never used this mic recording, but it sounds decent for live shows. I would personally look into either a condenser or a mix of a conenser and dynamic.
Gear
Carvin custum dc 747
Ibanez rg 520qs
Homemade Nocaster
Hofner violin bass
Hughes & Kettner Swithcblade 100 head
Ampeg v-4 412's (one with veteran 30's one with stock speakers)
Randall 412
Vintage Supra
ISP Decimater G-string
The SM58 is good for live, the SM57 is usually considered better for recording. They're the same price. Usually it doesn't sound good at all if it goes into your soundcard so I'd recommend an interface. They make them pretty cheap. I personally have used the Line 6 UX2 and the Alesis Multimix USB and I can say both have performed admirably for a beginning home demo-intermediate stage recording setup.

^I've never heard of a condensor and dynamic mix? I'm pretty sure you can't have that. Maybe I'll be proven wrong though.
Can't see why not. It's a solid microphone that has been used for a few stereo recordings (London Calling being the most famous). It has a close enough response to the SM57 to do guitar amps.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
The 58 is a decent mic. Durable as a Mack truck. They're never my first choice for anything - live or studio - but have done both with them. I used a 58 for keeper vocal tracks on one singer I recorded - for her voice, it beat the pants off every other mic I had. Even live, I'll take a 57 over a 58, but that's me for my voice. Different mics sound better or worse on different instruments/voices.

Condensor and dynamic mics are two different technologies. It's like the difference between a Windows and Mac operating system. The end result is similar, and each is better at different things, but you can't have both operating systems running simultaneously.

I think what the poster meant was having multiple mics - a mixture of some dynamic mics, and some condensor mics.

I would seriously look into getting an interface of some sort. You'll need a preamp and a decent sound card. Gaming cards and general purpose cards are fine for the outputs, but the inputs were never designed with recording high fidelity audio in mind.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Mammy
So if I get the SM58 or the 57, would I pretty much be set if I got this interface too?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-TonePort-GX-USB-Recording-Interface-104484647-i1275725.gc

That interface doesn't really have much of a microphone preamp, just software models. I'd go with this one, which is quite versatile for the price, with limiters and variable impedance.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
I'm sorry, but what exactly do you mean by microphone preamp? I'm a total noob at this stuff.
think of it as in terms of guitar.

Without a preamp you are plugging your guitar right into the PA system.

With a preamp you are plugging your guitar into your amp then into the pa system.