Page 1 of 2
I hear this all the time and it pisses me right the **** off. I've honestly heard it like 50 or so times (from different people) within just this year alone.. I mean, you can make the major dough with music, even if you're not in a famous band, you can teach it and make a killing!

How many times have you heard it, and does it piss you off?
my gram tells me that everytime I see her. Gets me pissed.
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

Crit plz! Wh ore of Gommorah
well, in my case, i actually enjoy playing music..not teaching some noob scales :\
i doubt i'd make it big in a band, but i think i could make it playing trumpet somewhere
I hate it when a baseball player or something says that to me. It's like "Well **** you, do you think you're going to the majors?"
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Well, when people say it to me, I don't get pissed, cause I realize I don't have nearly enough talent to go anywhere with it, but when people say it generally, yes it is a stupid statement.
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
I hear it alot but it doesnt bother me. People like to try and put down others for doing something that they themselves cant do. So when someone tells me I cant do something, I use it as motivation to try harder for whatever it is I want.
I get the opposite. But I'm not going to do anything with it, apart from as a hobby.
Today was my last day of school... hopefully ever, if I get that trainee job I'm hoping for, where I will work with computers'n'shit.
Sworn enemy of the private investigator.
Oh, and for the record, just reading the title how many of you were ready to come in and electronically punch me in the face?

And yea, I guess it does sort of motivate me to do better and 'show them', but still. It pisses me off anyways!
I hear the complete opposite, people generally encourage me.
I've thought about having a career in music but I'm pretty much against all the years in university to start doing the least in that subject.
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
Lol from literally hundreds of people. If I ever get big and win a grammy or something I'll be sure to dedicate the grammy to them in my acceptance speech. Also, John Lennon's aunt infamously told him this too.
I hate to hear it. The only person who ever tells me this says so because he was a drummer in many, many failed bands.
If I ever make it, I am SO sending him a "YOU WERE WRONG" card. One that will shout it at him.
I guess non-musicians are dumb when it comes to music jobs. When you say "I wanna make money doing something I love and that is music" they automatically think "rockstar, band, tour, records, famous"

But they don't think about songwriters, music teachers, amp engineers, instrument builders, ect.

Thats the main reason it pisses me off when I hear "you will never make money with music".

I don't want to become nationally famous (I've seen what it does to people) I just want to be locally famous.
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

Crit plz! Wh ore of Gommorah
Quote by LuthierofTexas
I hear it alot but it doesnt bother me. People like to try and put down others for doing something that they themselves cant do. So when someone tells me I cant do something, I use it as motivation to try harder for whatever it is I want.

Yep.

A lot of times they also use money as the main argument. Fail.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Music can get you somewhere, but the chances are slim.
It's just a thing you should for fun, it would lose its appeal to me if I got money and I had to put CDs out.
You're not brutal.

(click the smiley!)

it pisses me off but im thankful (in a way) that alot of people say it because its motivating. i know it sounds cheesy but true
Originally Posted by InvaderTSN
Step 1: Buy popcorn.
Step 2: Cut hole in bottom of popcorn bucket.
Step 3: Stick penis through hole.
Step 4: Ask date to get some popcorn.
Step 5: ???
Step 6: Profit!
My Dad

He'd much rather have me be a lawyer like him, his dad, and his brother
Rag Mop Do Do Duh DoDo Dedo Do!!!!!

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
I get it alot. Hopefully I'll make it though. Not in a band, but as a professional music teacher.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by Red33
My Dad

He'd much rather have me be a lawyer like him, his dad, and his brother

For some reason that reminds me of the movie A River Runs Through it, and I don't know why.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
It's true to a degree.

If you teach music, yes you'll make a killing, BUT freelance work is not predictable and you may end up out of work next day or next month etc, work can not be guaranteed therefore it's hard to souly live off of that income.

Making a band and getting big is VERY unlikely, whether you're emo/hardcore/mainstream etc... Doesn't matter, the chances are too slim.
I've spoken to Matt Wilcocks and he said so himself, the income that he generates from both Akercocke/Berzerker etc is not enough to live off.

Music is a good way earning extra cash, but depending on what you do, it may be peanuts or a decent wage.
The best way around that is get a job, and teach music after work... £25 an hour, not even hard to do either (if you know your stuff).

-Paul
There are tons of session guitarists that are completely unknown and make a fair amount of money. Like my guitar teacher.

If you're a good guitarist.

And I mean really good.
If you're into music for the money then you should be out of music.

Just my opinion.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
@Blast for Satan - What if you open your own music school, just one on one, charge $10 per 30 minute lesson. Get enough kids (which wouldn't be too hard, tbh, well around here, anyways), and you could be rollin in the green.
But it's true.
The possibilities of succeeding as a musician are very, very small.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by Dog--
Oh, and for the record, just reading the title how many of you were ready to come in and electronically punch me in the face?

And yea, I guess it does sort of motivate me to do better and 'show them', but still. It pisses me off anyways!

Me, I was going to.

Honestly I have the talent to make it somewhere with music, whether it be as a singer, guitarist or producer, I'm not bragging, but I do know my ****, aside from acting, its all I've breathed and lived since I was 7 years old, so I think my life is music and acting. I dont care about anything else really. Sometimes I want to care about somehting else...but I just can't.
Quote by Dog--
@Blast for Satan - What if you open your own music school, just one on one, charge $10 per 30 minute lesson. Get enough kids (which wouldn't be too hard, tbh, well around here, anyways), and you could be rollin in the green.

The head instructor of my University's music department opened a school like that. Most of the guitar majors in the university have jobs in the music school. I'm friends with a couple and they all do pretty good for just being employees there.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by urik
But it's true.
The possibilities of succeeding as a musician are very, very small.

The possibilities of succeeding as ANY kind of artist is very small.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
I'm not really sure where you guys are getting your information from, but trying to make a living with music is kind of a gamble. Anyone who's been down that road will tell you that.

That being said I'm going to major in jazz studies. I know I won't make much money, but that's not what it's about for me.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
Quote by fallenangel20
If you're into music for the money then you should be out of music.

Just my opinion.

Aside from a few rappers and pop stars (I'm not bashing rap or pop), I don't think there is truly anyone who is into music for the money. I don't think it's inherently possible.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Non musicians will assume if you are not a major money making star off the sheyit that you are wasting your time. They are just wasting yours. I've even heard people talk smack about local bands that have been around for years and play out all the time. When has doing what you love ever been a waste of time? Even if it's a hobby? People waste countless hours doing other junk, but I don't see anyone interupting a game of GTA by saying, 'guy, if you don't do tournaments, what's the point?'.
I hear it a lot but my parent really support me, its other people that aren't musicians
My favorite band is Tool.

Quote by dio_dude
despite the funny name, unknownpunkrock is the coolest 08'er.

Ibanez GRG
Vox AD30VT
Randall RG50TC
Takamine C128
Dano Wah
Yamaha S90
my parents said do a business degree because music isnt gonna work now i run a teaching school and a wedding band and its okay..not like lawyers money but freedom and happiness and not bad money
my friends and family say it indirectly. my friends are trying to push photography on me. and yes, it pisses me off sometimes.
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

Quote by Dog--

Yeah, you're title pissed me off, I absolutely hate hearing that....It's stupid when your dream isn't even to make it big, I just want to teach it.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Actually my Mom supports me alot, which is nice.
Rag Mop Do Do Duh DoDo Dedo Do!!!!!

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
People used to say that to me, then I would clarify that I don't have unrealistic goals of headlining arena tours and getting triple platinum albums and ****. I've told them that: My goal is to independently produce 4 albums of music that I've created. I could care a less whether people listen to it or not, I just want to get it out of my system. My dream is to do a nation wide club tour, supporting or headlining, doesn't matter (DREAM keep in mind.) My backup plan is to teach guitar lessons or be a studio musician, which is why I'm going to college.

They usually shut the **** up after getting shut down that hard.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
Quote by shut_up_n00b
The head instructor of my University's music department opened a school like that. Most of the guitar majors in the university have jobs in the music school. I'm friends with a couple and they all do pretty good for just being employees there.

I work at a school like that. I teach 10 students and i'm on about 130 dollars a week. It's a second job, nothing major for me. Petrol and Credit for my phone.

I hear it all the time. Seeing as getting somehwere with a band is my goal and always will be. I've made quite a bit of money from teaching and a few hundred from playing in bands (In my town, paying gigs are hard to find).

My nan always says it. So whenever she asks what my plans are I go "I'm going to be a rockstar" in my most whimsical tone and then stare off into the distance because I know it pisses her off.

Oh, and as the guy above me said. I just want to be able to survive on my music, I don't plan on being like Jay-Z or anytihng. I would just like to have a bit of recognition, a tour around Australia (America prefferably but the chances are slim). So we'll see.

And to the dude below me.

My father is raelly creative, he's all for it. My mother worries slightly, she works in a bank. Why htat's important? she's a little bit more analytical and critical. She doesn't like taking chances so my father's all for the music as long as it works out, my mother, more of a "Do what makes you happy..." no matter how much it annoys her :P
Need Singing Advice?; Read the first page then ask questions.

Quote by punkman_123
Damn Auals, you're messed up. :P

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
Last edited by Auals at Jun 18, 2008,
My mom supports me all the way, even though my mom knows nothing of music, I still like talking to her about it just because of her attitude towards it.

My dad on the other hand, it's wierd, he loves me playing guitar, he's a pretty big music nut (he doesn't play though), but I hate talking to him about anything music related because he always seems uninterested. But when he talks about Steely Dan or Albert Collins he never shuts up. And when I try to show him anything on the guitar, no matter how proud I am of what I accomplished, no matter how good it is, he always says 'is that it?' (he doesn't say that, but he says things along those lines with 'that' attitude). I told my mom I wanted to go to university for music and she was all 'wow cool, you better study, yadda yadda' she was nice about it, and had a conversation about it. I told my dad I wanted to go to uni and be a music teacher and he said 'mmhmm'. That was it.
life's not about making money, it's about being happy. tell them that. that's what i do.
███████████████
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
████████████
Page 1 of 2