Okay I've been playing for about five days now and I'm switching off from an easy as hell E chord to a F chord...You know, strum the E, move ot an F, repeat. Anyway every once in a while I find myself hitting a wrong string while playing the F chord since I'm looking at my left hand....Ack, how long is it going to take me to not **** up like this? I mean I know when bands play - you know really experienced bands too, when they play it won't be 100% clean and nice but ugh this is hard..Not saying that I thought practice would be easy but...
Last edited by Thal_marko at Jun 18, 2008,
After you get into it you won't have to think about it at all. Everything just takes practice.
Signature temporarily empty
You play every string on the E chord dontcha?

Took me a long while, still mess up sometimes. My chords just recently got better though as In school we were playing a lot of songs with chords, so I got pretty good at changing between them.

Just practice
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
if you make one more thread ill give you an abortion
Vikings? What Vikings? We are but poor, simple farmers. The village was burning when we got here, and the people must have slain themselves.
Five days is not much.
Your skills will increase as you play.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
E and F are barre chords, how do you hit an extra string?
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
Quote by andy_thomas

he could be playing the F w/out the bottom 2 strings as u still get the root note and it's a hell of a lot easier. i do that sometimes when i'm just lazy
member of The Yes Club
member of the Ten Years After Club
member of the Allman Brothers Club
member of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

member of the Grateful Dead Fan Club
PM deadhead313313

member of the Queen Fanclub!
PM Hanzi_G
Quote by andy_thomas

What? I'm only only barring the F chord
Quote by hippyguitardude
he could be playing the F w/out the bottom 2 strings as u still get the root note and it's a hell of a lot easier. i do that sometimes when i'm just lazy

Ahh yes....

Sorry, that F barre chord is burned into my brain. lol.
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Quote by COBHC6
if you make one more thread ill give you an abortion

this guy knows what he's talking about
Quote by Thal_marko

well
you sure painted my wagon..
Vikings? What Vikings? We are but poor, simple farmers. The village was burning when we got here, and the people must have slain themselves.
Quote by hippyguitardude

F also doesn't have to be a barre chord.
Quote by Thal_marko
What? I'm only only barring the F chord

Wait.... then what? If you're barring the F, how do you hit an extra string?

And E is considered a barre chord too, by the way.
Quote by alteredstates

Quote by andy_thomas

That's what i was thinking? Unless you're playing a 7 string, you can't hit an extra string on the F chord >>
Quote by Jackintehbox
This man knows his beverages.
Quote by 7daycrisis
^somebody get this man 30 million dollars.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I think I love you. I consider you a prominent UGer.
Quote by Stormx
90.200.36.223 is my IP. Try me.
Quote by andy_thomas
Wait.... then what? If you're barring the F, how do you hit an extra string?

And E is considered a barre chord too, by the way.

Right, but I'm not barrign the E chord though.

As for the F, Yeah you know hitting a string you're not supposed to, since you don't play all the strings on an F chord, right?
Quote by andy_thomas
Ahh yes....

Sorry, that F barre chord is burned into my brain. lol.

What is the F barre chord..? I know F as

1 1 2 3 x x or something like that (not sure if the two x's are open or not)
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
I remember thinking the same thing and asked my guitar teacher about it, and he told me what these guys are saying. After you've played for long enough you don't even think about and just always hit only the strings you need. Sure enough now I rarely hit extra strings if I'm focusing on it, of course going crazy during a performance it doesn't always happen.

But there is no tangible time to when you'll be able to do it, just that after you practice enough it will happen. Just keep working at it.
Quote by floppypick

It can be played several ways, but the "Full" F chord is 1 1 2 3 3 1
Quote by alteredstates

Quote by floppypick

A true F is 1 3 3 2 1 1 (low to high), as that's a half step higher than E, which is 0 2 2 1 0 0.
Quote by Jackintehbox
This man knows his beverages.
Quote by 7daycrisis
^somebody get this man 30 million dollars.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I think I love you. I consider you a prominent UGer.
Quote by Stormx
90.200.36.223 is my IP. Try me.
1 1 2 3 3 1

The bottom two strings aren't necessary, as the root is also played on the 4th string.
Signature temporarily empty
Quote by Thal_marko
Right, but I'm not barrign the E chord though.

As for the F, Yeah you know hitting a string you're not supposed to, since you don't play all the strings on an F chord, right?

Technically you are barring the E, the nut is just doing the barring for you.

And you're playing the beginner F then. I'm so confused.
Quote by alteredstates

^that's actually just a half-ass way of playing it.

The full F is a barre on the first fret, and an E shape in front of it.
Quote by alteredstates

You know what, before I confuse the hell outta you, I'll stop.

Just keep practising what you are and you'll be fine.
Quote by alteredstates

Its kind of hard to not hit a extra string when playing "Pride and Joy" by SRV. I have to mute everything that I'm not supposed to pick.
wat
Wow, you've been playing for 5 days and your already attempting the F chord? Most people wait a while before trying it out.

As for your question, the more you play, the easier it will get. I really cant give you any tips on how to not hit extra strings, just practice (and practice while doing it right and slow) and you will get it in not to long of a time.
I mute sstrings i dont want to hit with my fretting hand.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Valdean I thank you for your signature, just that one word reminded me I gotta give that song a listen.
Also, I'm curious, why was the threadstarter banned? I'm assuming he's like cycle_down or something but if so this time he didn't seem like the other accounts....hmm, anyway.

I play the F chord the same way as in that picture...because I'm a beginner and thats how justinguitar told me to start. I've been playing for about a month and for the most part I can manage not to hit the wrong strings while strumming......but then again I strum slow...
Should I start practicing on that "real" F chord?....I can't quite manage a full barre chord yet.